PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading comp, what should i know about the BIOS and CMOS?

Timz
11-07-2004, 02:13 PM
I know when i connect the new mobo/cpu and RAM im gonna have to configure everything in BIOS and CMOS. Should i write down some of my current setting in the BIOS and CMOS before i install the new parts, or will most of the configuration be automatic. Also, what button gets me to the BIOS screen, ive tried "delete" and F1, but dont seem to be working

clocker
11-07-2004, 02:21 PM
What motherboard?
Delete usually does the trick, but there are variations.

You can't really do anything to CMOS....it stores the defaults for your system and is not directly available to you.
BIOS is where you can tweak away to your heart's content (or the board's limitations....).

Timz
11-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 (K7 Triton)

clocker
11-07-2004, 04:11 PM
The manual states that hitting delete right after powering up will enter BIOS.

You may have to press the delete key repeatedly to hit the window of opportunity....

Timz
11-07-2004, 04:54 PM
kk, i'll try that

Afronaut
11-07-2004, 05:47 PM
If you got WinXP, and you going to change the CPU and MoBo,
I highly recommend a clean install of windows.

I upped my hardware and XP simply refused to find the right CPU speeds.
I did a lot of tweaking on BIOS and windows, but it didnt help.

Plug and Pray indeed.

Timz
11-07-2004, 05:57 PM
If you got WinXP, and you going to change the CPU and MoBo,
I highly recommend a clean install of windows.

I upped my hardware and XP simply refused to find the right CPU speeds.
I did a lot of tweaking on BIOS and windows, but it didnt help.

Plug and Pray indeed.

a clean install? u mean reformat?

Peerzy
11-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Yep!

Timz
11-07-2004, 08:14 PM
exactly when will i be asked if i want to make a clean install? can i select "no" at first jsut too see if everything turns out ok w/o the clean install, or do i HAVE to make a clean install at the beginning?

Mr. Elmo
11-07-2004, 08:18 PM
you wont be ask until you put the disc in your cd tray :)

peat moss
11-07-2004, 11:59 PM
you wont be ask until you put the disc in your cd tray :)
Don't forget to set up in bios ,to boot from cdrom! :)

tesco
11-08-2004, 12:53 AM
You can also, if it doesn't boot, choose to do a repair install rather than a full format.

but i still recomend formatting it anyway.

lynx
11-08-2004, 10:53 AM
It isn't always necessary to perform a clean install, sometimes not even a repair install.

If the chipset maker is the same as the old board, there is often enough similarity between the boards that simply updating the drivers is sufficient. I've always found that for upgrading Via chipset boards you can upgrade the drivers FIRST, and the mobo change usually goes without a hitch.

On the other hand a change of chipset maker usually requires at least a repair install.

Timz
11-11-2004, 01:46 PM
It isn't always necessary to perform a clean install, sometimes not even a repair install.

If the chipset maker is the same as the old board, there is often enough similarity between the boards that simply updating the drivers is sufficient. I've always found that for upgrading Via chipset boards you can upgrade the drivers FIRST, and the mobo change usually goes without a hitch.

On the other hand a change of chipset maker usually requires at least a repair install.

i dont think my boards are similar enough. My old board is the Intel Billings D845BG, about 2 years old but its already out of production. Will reformatting, or repair installing definetly fix the problem, or is there something else i have to worry about?

Mr. Elmo
11-12-2004, 05:22 PM
oh, btw, when you reformat, are you using a window xp disc or is it one of those system recovery disc?