PDA

View Full Version : Linux What to download

mattesca
11-07-2004, 05:41 PM
Ok, can someone please tell me the exact thing I need to download off of suprnova.org to get linux and be able to burn it to a cd. Thanks!

Afronaut
11-07-2004, 05:43 PM
Look for ISO files, use Nero to burn them.
They ar usually all ISO files anyways, then its just a matter of
choosing the distro, in which, this guide (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=67820) can be helpfull.

mattesca
11-07-2004, 06:24 PM
which one is the most comman that people use?

Afronaut
11-09-2004, 10:19 PM
I dont know which is popular.

I use Slackware, allthought it may be not the easiest
for beginner to install.

Remember to have drivers for all hardware allready on some CD or
somewhere handy before you start the install, you might need
them if the distro dont have 'em.
Atleast the network drivers are good to have, it'll be easier to update and
get more drivers and stuff if you have network.

:cool2:

DanB
11-09-2004, 10:23 PM
Do you just want it as a live cd or as a full install?

mattesca
11-11-2004, 11:12 AM
full install

ObiWan
11-11-2004, 08:28 PM
don't download it from suprnova most distros are free and can be downloaded from their home page

Mr. Mulder
11-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Mandrakes Great, I'm a Linux noob and found it easy to use - get it from there site though ;)

true_neo
11-14-2004, 12:59 PM
I find Fedora Core 3 to be great :D It has an user friendly installer (although its partition manager is lacking the ability to merge partitions, it is still WAYYYY better than M$'), and its not difficult to get started with.

Might I offer some small advice from someone that first touched Linux 2 days ago:
Have Linux on a seperate partition, and then experiment with different ways of setting it up. If aything goes wrong or you dont quite like what your past changes did to the future, you can just format it and reinstall.
Time consuming, but its good to get accustomed to it.
After 2 reformats, I am on top of all errors, and are starting to reinstall stuff I had back in the M$ days :)

Duffman
11-15-2004, 05:43 AM
I say simplyMepis, seems to be a good user friendly distro, but you can boot from the cd to test and make sure all your hardware works out too. Its pretty cool.

Afronaut
11-28-2004, 10:56 PM
I did my first Slackware install to another Partition too, for easy removal if needed,
just had the Xp on other partition to boot if needed.