PDA

View Full Version : Diskeeper 9 wont install.

Wolfmight
11-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Well I successfully installed it on 3 other computers useing the same .exe file, but I get this error message on one of the machines. They are all running XP Pro SP2 btw. All fully updated, Cleaned, Reg fixed, etc.

http://img116.exs.cx/img116/411/error4.jpg

edit: btw, that look is just a theme. Everyone wanted different themes and this friend liked the MacOs X look.

also, could I defrag his computer with that server admin method? Maybe if I couldnt solve this problem.. i could work around it by useing another computer to defrag his. ?

Sudden
11-07-2004, 10:29 PM
THE Diskeeper INSTALLS TO

C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperWorkstation

OR

C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper

CHECK WHICH ONE IT IS

1 try installing diskeeper and let the error message popup
once this has happened click Start then Run
type in regedit and click ok or press enter key once.

(with error message and installer still running).

2. Go To:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Diskeeper

3. click on the diskeeper folder and then you will see imagepath to the right. labeled under data as:

C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperWorkstation\DKService.exe

4. double click the imagepath icon and copy and replace:

C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperWorkstation\DKService.exe

with

"C:\Program Files\Executive Software\DiskeeperWorkstation\DKService.exe"

OR

"C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\DKService.exe"

( the quotations at the ends is what you gotta add)

click ok then goto view button on the tool bar in registry editor and click refresh or just press F5 once.

then go back to your diskeeper installer with the error message still there click retry and it should be fixed.

IF THE ABOVE DOES NOT WORK

DO YOU HAVE Steganos Internet Anonym Pro

OR Similar Program Try uninstalling it. (NOT TURN OFF/OR DISABLE IT)

Then installing diskeeper

peat moss
11-07-2004, 10:34 PM
@Sudden , Gee you had this problem before! Nice to here from experience ,instead of relying on Goggle . Best way to learn. :01:

Wolfmight
11-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Ok, I tried both of those and it still refuses to install. Actually the 2nd one wasnt there, but I tried changing the imagepath for "Disk"...still no luck.

Any other ideas? :(

I dont have Steg Internet Moniter... and I'm sure Zone Alarm is ok, since all other 3 comps installed fine while it was installed-n-running

btw, this same computer used to run Diskeeper 8 fine.. I uninstalled it to put on version 9 and it gave me the error. Now when I try to go back to 8, I get the same error also! wtf?

Sudden
11-07-2004, 11:14 PM
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Diskeeper
------------------------ -----------------------Should be-----------------\Services\
You Mean this is missing.
If So It has'nt installed correctly or the program is corrupted.

Has there been a previous version installed?

Try these Manuals from diskeeper
The First is 13KB
second one is 4.42MB

http://www1.execsoft.com/pdf/Diskeeper9_support.pdf

http://www1.execsoft.com/pdf/Diskeeper9Home_Manual.pdf

Sudden
11-08-2004, 12:30 AM
I haven’t read the manuals :whistling

Last resort

Uninstall diskeeper again.
If you have a reg edit program delete the executive software files
regcleaner (http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-download/programs/regcleaner)
Then check
c: programs/windows/Downloaded Installations
I found this to be full of surprises programs that I had got rid off where still in here
(Not any more)

You probably find there are quite a few files with diskeeper in them
(Uninstalling /reinstalling)
Look in the long serial numbered ones as well.
Delete all the diskeeper ones including 9

C: program files/Executive Software deletes this folder

Re install

If this doesn’t work

Someone else might be able to help you.

Or read the manuals again:ph34r:

zapjb
11-08-2004, 12:45 AM
Imo it's a blessing. I think PerfectDisk & O&O are far superior apps.

S!X
12-12-2004, 08:36 PM
Diskeeper wont install on my comp either it says it cant start the service right near the end of the installation.:frusty::angry::helpsmili

zapjb
12-12-2004, 08:44 PM
You guys are lucky imo.:whistling

S!X
12-12-2004, 08:53 PM
You guys are lucky imo.:whistling
:blink::dry:

tesco
12-13-2004, 12:39 AM
i've had problems with diskeeper before as well.
I prefer it over O&O (never tried perfect disc) but i'd use O&O if diskeeper wasn't working.
Not too big a loss imo.

S!X
12-13-2004, 07:34 AM
Since i reformatted it works perfectly now:)

zapjb
12-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Too bad. Joking. lol.

peat moss
12-14-2004, 03:08 AM
Since i reformatted it works perfectly now:)

Well kind of like killing a bug with a shotgun ! But you have it fixed! But I think a reg cleaner might of helped? :)

S!X
12-14-2004, 03:30 AM
Well kind of like killing a bug with a shotgun ! But you have it fixed! But I think a reg cleaner might of helped? :)
I tried regseeker, didnt help my system was fucked up anyways so i reformatted:dry:

Wolfmight
06-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Dammit! I got the same problem again! A reformat was what solved it last time, now the bastard came back! The support at diskeeper are a-holes and told me not to use a pirated copy!!! Nah, jp on that last part. That's probably why it's doing this though. Update your older version and it puts some secret registry key on your computer that prevents any further installations!!!

peat moss
06-29-2005, 12:54 AM
Your right I'v gone back to Version: 9.0.524.0. The update did n't work very well for me either. It was the one were you d/l and save to hdd then run. Sometimes if you block it for checking for updates your safe but not with that update.

This one from Andy is fine, its what I have .

link: http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t95156.html

AndrewBarker
06-29-2005, 12:56 AM
The official update only works if you have the last version installed, and must not be uninstaled prior to updating

Wheras if you have the full version (like I posted in the verifieds) then it should install whether or not

peat moss
06-29-2005, 01:10 AM
@AndrewBarker, you beat me by a second buddie but I did have to use search . :lol: It is a great program I still think its one of your best verifieds . That and your XP Pro corp. link :01:

Wolfmight
06-29-2005, 04:20 AM
Just finished downloading that version from emule, tried to install it, BOOM same error... :( I feel like it's something in my registry. Same Error 1402:
http://img116.exs.cx/img116/411/error4.jpg

It says, "UNKNOWN"...and jvpowertools can't find anything related to that key! I need something to wipe that p.o.s out.

Wolfmight
06-29-2005, 05:54 AM
SWEET!!! I found a way to solve the problem!
Ok ok ok, first you need jv16 PowerTools 2005.
Now use the Registry finder and do a search for "DfrgSnapin". Select all the results..backup.. and delete em! Now do another search for "DfrgCtl". Select all the results..backup..and delete em!

BANG! You just killed the first and second layers of protection Diskeeper placed on your system to prevent you from installing their defrag software! Obviously this was a way to fight pirated copies, but we strike back once more! There you go! :)

KaBuTo
06-30-2005, 08:04 AM
Diskeeper wont install on my comp either it says it cant start the service right near the end of the installation.:frusty::angry::helpsmili

Look in Services and see if Diskkeeper is set to Automatic