PDA

View Full Version : expatriate wannabe

Wallace_Askew
11-10-2004, 01:08 AM
hi all...I am an american wanting to expat to Europe. Ive narrowed it down to a few countries...Farance, UK and Ireland. are there any expats on this board with some info about getting getting out of this country? any info at all would be appreciated :)

Everose
11-10-2004, 01:10 AM
Wish there was something I could do to help you. :)

MagicNakor
11-10-2004, 04:34 AM
Well, France, Britain and Ireland are very different countries. If you can afford it, I'd go visit for a while before picking one. ;)

:shuriken:

Barbarossa
11-10-2004, 09:48 AM
Join the army, there'll probably be an invasion of France soon or something

Rat Faced
11-10-2004, 11:43 AM
I dunno if your serious or not, however its actually quite difficult for an American to move permanently to the UK...

If you have lots of $$, you can move to start a company or invest.

Can come as the "Representative" of a large company.

Students can come and work certain jobs.

You can get a Work Visa, however all Jobs have to be offered to EU nationals before they can be offered to others...and its the company that employs you that does the paperwork, so not many will go through the hassel.

Easiest by far is to marry an EU citizen.

Afronaut
11-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Well, some ppl likes to marry to get a citicenship.

So much for the respect on marriage.

vidcc
11-10-2004, 05:18 PM
marriage doesn't automatically grant entry into every country, the uk certainly has no problems refusing entry without the proper paperwork. ( i know i am going to get comments about asylum seekers etc. however i am talking proper channels ).

I would suggest that language be a big factor in deciding. I have lived and worked in various countries and having only a limited vocabulary of a nations language is a huge disadvantage.
The UK is a wonderful place to live, however as the saying goes "the grass is always greener on the other side" so don't expect every UK citizen to agree :lol: .
I confess to having little experience of Eire for day to day living.

Don't expect Eutopia from any place you end up in, and above all be prepared for that nations people to be different to yourself in beliefs and attitudes. That said generally the countries you speak of are little different in daily living....some things are much better...some worse.

Busyman
11-10-2004, 05:30 PM
I find it funny that so many people are talking of moving from here when, for most, nothing in their day to day lives has changed from 4-8 years ago that can be attributed to the President.

My motto

:angry: :01: STFU!!! and GTFO!!! :01: :angry:

then....

vidcc
11-10-2004, 05:37 PM
I find it funny that so many people are talking of moving from here when, for most, nothing in their day to day lives has changed from 4-8 years ago that can be attributed to the President.

My motto

:angry: :01: STFU!!! and GTFO!!! :01: :angry:

then....
Some say it's because of Bush...mostly those people are just blowing hot air.... some want to move for other reasons.... it may have nothing to do with liking or not liking the USA

Busyman
11-10-2004, 05:38 PM
Some say it's because of Bush...mostly those people are just blowing hot air.... some want to move for other reasons.... it may have nothing to do with liking or not liking the USA
If it's because of Bush...that equals hot air.

j2k4
11-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Odd, isn't it, that those who blow about moving across the sea and can actually bankroll such a move with ease never seem to get it done.

Obviously this pissing-and-moaning is it's own reward; a quick-and-dirty study of the "tack" phenomenon reveals this.

Another curious aspect of the condition is that it doesn't limit itself to the rich-and-famous; those less-well-off (wow...hyphen-city, here, huh?) have their rhetorical catalogue open to the same page, apparently.

Freedom-of-speech is indeed a wonderful thing.

I wonder if I shall live long enough to see someone make good on this threat?

BTW-I have heard from a reliable source that Michael Moore is interested in exploring any opportunities extant to practice patriotism in Europe, where he enjoys immense popularity.

I wonder which locality will jump first...the U.K. seems a likely candidate from here. :)

Busyman
11-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Odd, isn't it, that those who blow about moving across the sea and can actually bankroll such a move with ease never seem to get it done.

Obviously this pissing-and-moaning is it's own reward; a quick-and-dirty study of the "tack" phenomenon reveals this.

Another curious aspect of the condition is that it doesn't limit itself to the rich-and-famous; those less-well-off (wow...hyphen-city, here, huh?) have their rhetorical catalogue open to the same page, apparently.

Freedom-of-speech is indeed a wonderful thing.

I wonder if I shall live long enough to see someone make good on this threat?

Ok, Johnny Depp....

You made it. :)

j2k4
11-10-2004, 09:47 PM
Ok, Johnny Depp....

You made it. :)

True enough-

Now if only he'd stop his coming back to comment on our stupidity.

It just occurred to me that I actually like him as an actor, his real-life inanity
notwithstanding. :huh:

hobbes
11-10-2004, 10:27 PM
http://www.bigpinkcookie.com/moblog/images/4505800834_235.jpg

All of you drama queens are going to squeek for a few days, then settle back down into your comfortable American lives.

Alas!

Send me a postcard if you actually move.

Posting a link and/or visiting the Canadian Immigration website take 0 effort and are the product of overwrought emotions.

Busyman
11-10-2004, 10:54 PM
True enough-

Now if only he'd stop his coming back to comment on our stupidity.

Maybe he thinks

"You are a reflection of your President."

Maybe his comments are valid then. :lol:

Then again maybe not since he doesn't fucking live here. Let him stay his ass in France.

From the archives.....

Live in America but hate America.

:angry: :01: STFU!!!! and GTFO!!!! :01: :angry:

....of the country. Go elsewhere. Why stay someplace that you hate so much? We sure as hell don't want you here. If you are going to stay, what are you doing to change it? This goes for other countries as well.

also on somewhat related Bill Maher news....
http://www.dvorak.org/blog/images/sullivan.jpg

What the hell is going on with Andrew Sullivan diggin' in his ass? :blink:
The picture tells alot about his steamy nightlife. :sick:

vidcc
11-10-2004, 11:29 PM

The picture tells alot about his steamy nightlife. :sick::lol: is he opening or closing them? looks like he is undecided

it must be very frustrating being a gay conservative...what with the "no sex before marriage" rule :lol:

j2k4
11-11-2004, 02:34 AM
Maybe he thinks

"You are a reflection of your President."

Maybe his comments are valid then. :lol:

Then again maybe not since he doesn't fucking live here. Let him stay his ass in France.

From the archives.....

:D Yes, B, perhaps your best original work in this venue; I appreciated your point then, as now.

The picture tells alot about his steamy nightlife. :sick:

As vid has noted, he seems a bit conflicted here, although the right seems to opt for closing, the left has other ideas...

vidcc
11-11-2004, 03:07 AM
As vid has noted, he seems a bit conflicted here, although the right seems to opt for closing, the left has other ideas...
looks the other way round to me

Busyman
11-11-2004, 03:10 AM
looks the other way round to me
Very good!!! :01:

I see you're an expert. :ph34r:

vidcc
11-11-2004, 03:15 AM
Very good!!! :01:

I see you're an expert. :ph34r:
:lol:

I think his liberal side is for closing but his conservative side is just rebelling and begging for it

spinningfreemanny
11-11-2004, 06:48 AM
The close examination of this person's haunches that you all have put forth disturbs me. :ohmy:

Busyman
11-11-2004, 02:11 PM
The close examination of this person's haunches that you all have put forth disturbs me. :ohmy:
What's a haunch? :blink:

Jon L Obscene
11-11-2004, 04:19 PM
:huh:

j2k4
11-11-2004, 09:23 PM

Clue: It does not remotely suggest a wild-ass guess.

scroff
11-11-2004, 09:27 PM
Of all people, you need to know what a haunch is, Busyman. :cool: You love haunch!

Busyman
11-12-2004, 04:21 AM
Of all people, you need to know what a haunch is, Busyman. :cool: You love haunch!
:blink:

manker
11-12-2004, 10:31 AM
What's a haunch? :blink:Of all people, you need to know what a haunch is, Busyman. :cool: You love haunch!:blink:

I think he's saying that you're good with colours :lips:

Smurfette
11-12-2004, 07:25 PM
Isn't it peculiar that when a country is governed by conservatives, the people that would like to emigrate are those with the least resources to accomplish the act?
IOW, it's the people that can well afford to fuck off that are the ones getting a great deal from their rulers.

Being a liberal minded Brit and a Liberal voter, it's always pained me to hear people bitch about the influx of immigrants (legitimate or not, it matters nothing), exaggerating many already overblown and innacurate urban legends and myths. What irony there is in hearing these people continue their whining by confessing a wish to move to Spain or France. That's it, mate, fuck off and become exactly the thing you despise.

Wallace_Askew
11-13-2004, 03:14 AM
I see I started quite the discussion so i'll put in my two cents. I consider myself liberal. I guess if ya had to label me I'm am a social libertarian. The reason I now want to give up on this country is that this administration will set the pace for the next forty years or so. Bush has taken away our civil liberties, turned our education system for the worse, and will most likley be able to appoint at least two judges in the supreme court. Oh yeah, the war on terrorism. This is a war on people that dont like America and the way he went about it is kiling people. This was the approach that caused the situation at hand. America has spoken and they like it this way it seems. So sayonara America. Don't want to raise my family here anymore.

hobbes
11-13-2004, 03:32 AM
Please send us a postcard in your new country of residence.