PDA

View Full Version : Some info about the 'Dirty Bomb'

ZaZu
11-10-2004, 01:58 AM
In order to better inform the public on what a dirty bomb is and what terrorists might intend to try to accomplish in setting off such a weapon, the following information is provided.

Basically, the principal type of dirty bomb, or Radiological Dispersal Device (RDD), combines a conventional explosive, such as dynamite, with radioactive material. In most instances, the conventional explosive itself would have more immediate lethality than the radioactive material.

At the levels created by most probable sources, not enough radiation would be present in a dirty bomb to kill people or cause severe illness.

For example, most radioactive material employed in hospitals for diagnosis or treatment of cancer is sufficiently benign that about 100,000 patients a day are released with this material in their bodies.

However, certain other radioactive materials, dispersed in the air, could contaminate up to several city blocks, creating fear and possibly panic and requiring potentially costly cleanup. Prompt, accurate, non-emotional public information might prevent the panic sought by terrorists.

A dirty bomb is in no way similar to a nuclear weapon. The presumed purpose of its use would be therefore not as a Weapon of Mass Destruction but rather as a Weapon of Mass Disruption.

What People Should Do Following an Explosion of a 'dirty bomb'

* Move away from the immediate area--at least several blocks from the explosion--and go inside. This will reduce exposure to any radioactive airborne dust.

* Turn on local radio or TV channels for advisories from emergency response and health authorities.

* If facilities are available, remove clothes and place them in a sealed plastic bag. Saving contaminated clothing will allow testing for radiation exposure.

* Take a shower to wash off dust and dirt. This will reduce total radiation exposure, if the explosive device contained radioactive material.

* If radioactive material was released, local news broadcasts will advise people where to report for radiation monitoring and blood and other tests to determine whether they were in fact exposed and what steps to take to protect their health.

Source (http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/dirty-bombs.html)

Thought you might like to know...

Everose
11-10-2004, 02:11 AM
Thanks for this information, Zazu.

Barbarossa
11-10-2004, 09:35 AM
I'm still waiting for my official "What to do in an Emergency" factsheet please Tony Blair where the fuck is it????

Am I being hung out to dry? I feel naked, unprotected without it.. :angry:

sArA
11-10-2004, 09:42 AM
I'm still waiting for my official "What to do in an Emergency" factsheet please Tony Blair where the fuck is it????

Am I being hung out to dry? I feel naked, unprotected without it.. :angry:

I don't have one either.....the bastard. I mean, I won't know how much duct tape to get or how to dig my own bomb shelter or where I should keep my keys or anything!

DanB
11-10-2004, 09:54 AM
I don't have one either :(

Rat Faced
11-10-2004, 10:55 AM
I must be one of the chosen :w00t: I got mine..

Can someone start me off @ £10 for this seemingly unique publication...?

Back on topic...

This is all very well... but how do you know that it was a dirty bomb when it went off?

If i KNEW it was a dirty bomb, i doubt id turn the TV on before stripping and showering..... you know what its like when you get distracted by The Simpsons, just cant pull yourself away :rolleyes:

vidcc
11-10-2004, 05:01 PM
http://catandgirl.com/extras/umbrella.jpgyou want protection ? here it is

Illuminati
11-10-2004, 05:05 PM

Here's an alternative (http://www.preparingforemergencies.co.uk/) :) :devil: ;) :lol:

Rat Faced
11-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Here's an alternative (http://www.preparingforemergencies.co.uk/) :) :devil: ;) :lol:

You may laugh...

But the advice in there is as valid as the official one :rolleyes:

:P

Summary:

If you are actually involved and possibly infected in a Biological attack..

Put your head between your legs and kiss your Ass goodbye. Shoot yourself or jump of a high building...

Honestly, It'll be quicker than the way the Government will treat you, shoving you into Quarantine with anyone suspected of being infected... ie: If you werent, you will be ;)

Illuminati
11-10-2004, 05:11 PM
You may laugh...

But the advice in there is as valid as the official one :rolleyes:

I always considered that site as identical to the official booklet, except without the bullshit ;)

A bit like the Kazaa Lite of UK government scare tactics :lol:

j2k4
11-10-2004, 09:59 PM
At the levels created by most probable sources, not enough radiation would be present in a dirty bomb to kill people or cause severe illness.

Quite right; not much worse than cigarettes, really...

Maybe our libs could arrange a nice government subsidy in light of the fact, yes?