PDA

View Full Version : comp restarting over and over

DDRFREAK1030
11-10-2004, 06:15 AM
my friends computer is restarting over and over again. when he trys to make systemchanges it restarts on him. he took out his processor and then put it back in. according to him this was the only change he made but he thinks it may be a virus. he tried a system restore. it also shut off.

he needs help asap

plz!!!

Mr. Elmo
11-10-2004, 06:23 AM
cpu overheating? their is a option in the bios that turns the comp off when cpu reach a certain temp. it might be that. or like u said, a virus

cow_dung
11-10-2004, 07:04 AM
How to abort shutdown

http://learn.quinnipiac.edu/at/ATdocs/virusstuff/abort.htm

edit: or you might have the sasser worm...
if so do a google search sasser worm removal

this link might also help
http://www.petri.co.il/quickly_abort_shut_down_commands_on_xp_2003.htm

-DeLeTrIuS-

DDRFREAK1030
11-10-2004, 12:59 PM
actually it wasnt restarting over and over. it keeps turning off. i remember reding bout that heat shutoff thing...

hmmm..

tesco
11-10-2004, 01:02 PM
he probably used the same thermal pad\paste on his cpu and so it is over heating.

check out what the temps are in the bios or by using an app like speed fan or mother board monitor 5.

if the temp isn't high then do this:
right click my computer>properties>advanced>start and recovery settings>uncheck "automatically restart..."
he will now receive a blue screen with an error message. get him to write down all info he sees then post it here.

clocker
11-10-2004, 02:26 PM
he probably used the same thermal pad\paste on his cpu and so it is over heating.

Very possible/likely.

If this is not the case then he needs to eliminate any hardware issues as the probable cause.
Unplug everything save the vid card, RAM and CPU from the motherboard and PSU....see if the board will POST and stay on.
If not, substitute a known good PSU and see what happens.
Continue down the list, substituting as you go till you find the problem area.
Alternatively, using a POST Card will immediately tell you the problem, but I realize that not everyone has access to such a device....

lee551
11-11-2004, 12:56 AM
when a motherboard fried on me, my computer continually shut down & restarted itself. it was creepy.

bigdawgfoxx
11-11-2004, 01:09 AM
Yeah try what rossco said or try to go into the BIOS and on halt on ______ errors, put NO.

DDRFREAK1030
11-11-2004, 03:01 AM
his processor doesnt work 0_0

i feel bad for him. he took it to skool. and i think he said he fucked it up in some way

he said he fried it..

damn that must suck

aite then peace -_-

tesco
11-11-2004, 03:04 AM
he took his processor to school. :blink:

Mïcrösöül°V³
11-11-2004, 03:34 AM
look very closely at the little resistors around the CPU,(especially where the heatsink release tab is) he probably broke one while he was getting the heatsink off, (screwdriver slipped and hit the mobo) in which case.......get a new mobo.