PDA

View Full Version : cpu temp problems

Timz
11-10-2004, 03:12 PM
i recently bought a new mobo, cpu and ram. I installed everything onto the mobo and connected everything to the pc. However, when i loaded up bios for the first time and went to the "PC Health" tab in bios it told me that my cpu (AMD XP2800+) had a tempterature of 63 degrees C (When i first start up, my system temp is 30C and the cpu fan is 45C, both continue to rise. The cpu fan runs at 3500-3668 rpms). I read that normal temps for the cpu should be between 35-45 degrees C. Im pretty sure i installed the HSF properly, but in order to make sure i would have to remove the HSF.

1) If i remove the HSF, do i have to apply new a new thermal pad/ or thermal gell (like Arctic5) or can i jsut reuse the same pad?
2) Is it likely that the processor is acually the problem (defective)? (I bought it in the retail box from TigerDirect.com)
3) Would using thermal gel instead of the provided thermal pad give me better cooling?
4) If i remove the original thermal pad (in order to test the thermal gel), do i void my warrenty w/ tigerdirect and/or AMD?
5) Would buying/ using casefans lower the temperature on my cpu? (if so, where would i install them?)

Virtualbody1234
11-10-2004, 06:02 PM
1. Don't reuse the pad.
2. Not likely.
3. Yes the thermal tranfer would improve but not by a huge amount.
4. Not sure.
5. If you open the side of your case and you see a temperature drop then adding more fans would help.

Just a note. Your actual CPU temperature is lower than your reading. That Gigabyte board has this issue. Gigabyte says that the problem was solved by a BIOS update but the issue still remains.

Timz
11-11-2004, 02:09 AM
hmm, do you know how much lower exactly? if its just 12 degrees C or so, i should be fine

tesco
11-11-2004, 02:41 AM
hmm, do you know how much lower exactly? if its just 12 degrees C or so, i should be fine
if the original pad was done right then probably 3-5 degrees drop. maybe a little more if your lucky.

I'm guessing you might have gotten bad contact with your thermal pad so using some thermal paste might make MUCH better contact and GREATLY lower your temp (this happened to a friend of mine).

or you could have my problem where the cpu's vcore is too high and it's making the temperature too high. you can check what that is in the bios, then post it here.

Virtualbody1234
11-11-2004, 04:18 AM
My thinking is that your PC is probably fine. Just the temps reported by that board are off. I bet the heatsink feels quite warm but not so hot that you can't touch it for long. I also bet that your PC is stable (not crashing).

If you check around you'll see that there are reports that the temp sensor shows too high by as much as 10 to 15˚C.

Timz
11-11-2004, 12:31 PM
My thinking is that your PC is probably fine. Just the temps reported by that board are off. I bet the heatsink feels quite warm but not so hot that you can't touch it for long. I also bet that your PC is stable (not crashing).

If you check around you'll see that there are reports that the temp sensor shows too high by as much as 10 to 15˚C.

i can touch the Heatsink probably indefinetly. It is quite warm near the base, but not so that would make me move my hand. Your also right about the crashing, it hasnt crashed, but then again, ive only been running it in 15-20 minute bursts followed by 10-15 minute cooling periods

Virtualbody1234
11-11-2004, 12:44 PM
Let it run longer. It takes time and heat to melt the thermal pad. It should improve as the thermal transfer material gets thinner.

Timz
11-11-2004, 01:12 PM
Let it run longer. It takes time and heat to melt the thermal pad. It should improve as the thermal transfer material gets thinner.

what temperature should i let it reach before i shut it off. Im really worried that if there isnt a problem with it right now, im gonna create problems by messing around w/ it

tesco
11-11-2004, 01:22 PM
leave it on and if it ever gets to like 70 then shut it off.

lynx
11-11-2004, 01:24 PM
If your motherboard has cpu shutdown temp control you could set it at 70C, that way there should be no chance of burning out your cpu, except possibly for something like your HSF falling off.

With that setup you should not need to worry, it will shut itself off (and probably sound an alarm) if things get too hot.

Timz
11-11-2004, 01:34 PM
k, also, i was recommended to change the Vcore to the cpu to 1.65 if that is not already preset. Will this make a difference in temps?

Storm
11-11-2004, 02:37 PM
if your Vcore is above 1.65 it will make a difference (depends on how much above it was for the amount of difference)

also, what is your room temperature???? dont forget that the hotter the air is, the hotter your cpu will get (and not +5 C room = +5 C CPU, but much more, since it cools way less)

if i turn the heat up in my room by a little i can see my CPU temp shooting up..........

another thing: right now you're using the thermal pad and stock cooling.......... if your CPU burns down (and you havent overclocked) you can just get a new one (warranty)

using thermal paste wont void your warranty afaik (check with AMD to be sure), using a different HSF might, AMD keeps a list of approved HSF's............ though i havent been able to find it.......... again, check with AMD if you want to be sure............

Timz
11-11-2004, 02:48 PM
im in NYC, it was about 40 degrees F yesterday, thats about 20C i think.

Storm
11-11-2004, 03:34 PM
im talkin about room temp.......... unless your computer is outside ;)

and 40 F is about 5 C i think........ (wasnt it -32, *5/9?)

Timz
11-11-2004, 05:53 PM
ok so so far i can try
1) changing the voltage controls in BIOS to 1.65
2) allow the thermal pad to run, up to 70C to see if the melted thermal pad yields better conductivity of heat
3) make sure that the clock multiplier is 12.6X, 333 FSB, 2083Mhz for the cpu.

anything else before i pull everything off my old mobo and connect it to the new one, jsut to test... then reconnect everything to the old mobo to repost more problems? sigh..

clocker
11-11-2004, 09:38 PM
Don't you just love computers?

fkdup74
11-11-2004, 11:06 PM
Don't you just love computers?
hehehe
good thing about your cpu (and all AMDs IMO) :P ....
is they can take it up to 85 C
(not sure about penti-crap, but oh well, AMD PWNS) :01:

ermmm.....i done forgot what i read in the beginning of the thread....:lol:
what HS/F are you using?

Timz
11-12-2004, 12:30 AM
hehehe
good thing about your cpu (and all AMDs IMO) :P ....
is they can take it up to 85 C
(not sure about penti-crap, but oh well, AMD PWNS) :01:

ermmm.....i done forgot what i read in the beginning of the thread....:lol:
what HS/F are you using?

im using the stock HSF