PDA

View Full Version : question regardin RAM!

sameer0807
11-11-2004, 07:02 AM
Hey guys,

Just wonderin what kind of RAM should i get. I know i will go for 512 MB RAM, but which one?
I need it for gamming PC,
what Mhz?
What kind of chipset?
buffered or Unbuffered
how many V?

Please advice.

Thanx for ur time,
Cheers :-)

S!X
11-11-2004, 07:38 AM
Possibly Pc 3200 400 mhz or the higest ur mobo can handle:ermm:

peat moss
11-11-2004, 09:21 AM
Buy what the highest your mobo supports, and what you can afford ! Its not like We can tell the difference anyway! :shifty:

bigdawgfoxx
11-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Yeah, what kind of mobo do you have? And PC3200 should be good.

Afronaut
11-11-2004, 10:58 AM
To get the most out of the MoBo is what I would go for.
Front Side Bus (FSB) speed that is.
Get memory that supports the FSB you can get out of the MoBo.

Also, if your about to Over Clock later on, there's differences about
how much a RAM stick can take voltage adjustments etc.
But those sticks are more expensive.

Last time I bought a MoBo, I got 1GB of RAM with it that supports the
FSB (I could have gotten slower/cheaper) and I didnt go for the
Industrial types of memory. Did a lot of "shopping" on the net and read what
other ppl said of RAM.
It really pays to do some research.

btw, I got 2x Crucial 512MB RAM sticks, im happy with them but i wish i got a tad more.
Some of the music sequenser instruments dont load up all the samples (Garritan for example),
keeps telling me im out of RAM....

:cool2:

Peerzy
11-11-2004, 12:03 PM
This one has very good speeds however i doubt its suitaable for overclocking much, quite cheap as well:

http://www.chinatown-online.org.uk/images/new_year/ram.jpg

tesco
11-11-2004, 01:10 PM
To get the most out of the MoBo is what I would go for.
Front Side Bus (FSB) speed that is.
Get memory that supports the FSB you can get out of the MoBo.

Also, if your about to Over Clock later on, there's differences about
how much a RAM stick can take voltage adjustments etc.
But those sticks are more expensive.

Last time I bought a MoBo, I got 1GB of RAM with it that supports the
FSB (I could have gotten slower/cheaper) and I didnt go for the
Industrial types of memory. Did a lot of "shopping" on the net and read what
other ppl said of RAM.
It really pays to do some research.

btw, I got 2x Crucial 512MB RAM sticks, im happy with them but i wish i got a tad more.
Some of the music sequenser instruments dont load up all the samples (Garritan for example),
keeps telling me im out of RAM....

Those are big programs. :ohmy:

Smurfette
11-11-2004, 05:59 PM
Easy, get the fastest (higher MHz number or higher "PC" number) you can afford.
Why get RAM that's faster than your system can run at? Well, there are a couple of reasons...
1- You prolly won't have that system forever so getting faster memory means you may be able to put it in your next mobo. Imagine how pissed off you'd be if your next setup needed 400MHz RAM and you'd got 333MHz and couldn't use it.
2- You may want to try overclocking. You could increase the speed that the RAM actually runs at (and possibly do the same with the FSB setting for the CPU) and not have to worry about it causing errors because it's running faster than it was originally intended to.

Afronaut
11-11-2004, 07:22 PM
@ Rosco:
Garritan Personal Orchestra (http://www.gigastrings.com/home.html)
It plays likea Real Orchestra, in stand alone or inside of other sequencers like VST or SX etc..
I got the 4 CD version, is plenty enough for me atm, its not like use it all the time, but fun to play around with some midifiles with it.

Check out their
demos (http://www.garritan.com/GPO-mp3-Classical.html) , hehe...

The problem for me is, If I try to load the biggest orchestra set in the GOP program
with a lot of instruments, 1GB seems not to be enough RAM.
The higher the quality on the samples, the bigger the samples.

When I bought the RAM I thougth 1GB should get me far with Audio apps,
but I guess I was wrong, hehe.

I think the next time I'll buy 2 1GB-sticks.
But its rather expensive atm.

peat moss
11-11-2004, 08:33 PM
Anyone heard of this ? DDR booster. Found the item while browsing .
http://www.ntcw.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=NTCW&Product_Code=AC-OCZCL370

Edit: hey would that not take up a slot! :lol:

clocker
11-11-2004, 09:42 PM
That DDR Booster was quite the hot item on the OC forums a few weeks ago...everyone was all excited.
Now they are appearing in the classifieds, so I assume that it didn't work as advertised.

Mushkin is very good RAM, BTW....even the Blue (level two) "value" stuff is quite capable of running synchronously with most OCed chips....

sameer0807
11-14-2004, 11:17 AM
I already have around 720MB of RAM...well actually the CPU came with (well suppose to) 512MB....and i added another 512MB (had laying around in my house) which only gave me total of around 720MB RAM, where it should have given me atleast 1 GIG of RAM (512+512=1024 MB RAM), but it didn't! So i m assuming guys from I bought the CPU they lied to me that this PC have 512MB RAM installed.

I have Asrock AMD Sempron (FSB 333MHz, DDR33) motherboard, with ATI 9800 PRO video card...not sure what mofo that motherboard has!! I don't even know what mofo is......:-|

I was just hoping to have around 1GIG of RAM!

Afronaut
11-14-2004, 11:22 AM
mofo: motherf....
mobo: motherboard

The memory in the CPU is cache, its not the same as RAM. Its a different baal game alltogheter.

tesco
11-14-2004, 02:21 PM
I already have around 720MB of RAM...well actually the CPU came with (well suppose to) 512MB....and i added another 512MB (had laying around in my house) which only gave me total of around 720MB RAM, where it should have given me atleast 1 GIG of RAM (512+512=1024 MB RAM), but it didn't! So i m assuming guys from I bought the CPU they lied to me that this PC have 512MB RAM installed.

I have Asrock AMD Sempron (FSB 333MHz, DDR33) motherboard, with ATI 9800 PRO video card...not sure what mofo that motherboard has!! I don't even know what mofo is......:-|

I was just hoping to have around 1GIG of RAM!
looks in the bios it should say what ram stick you have in each of the slots.
then jus look at the one with only 256mb and then you'll know if the problem is with the one that came with computer or the one you bought.

Virtualbody1234
11-14-2004, 03:29 PM
Your motherboard is Asrock: http://www.asrock.com/
Your CPU is AMD Sempron.

peat moss
11-14-2004, 05:55 PM
mofo: motherf....
mobo: motherboard

The memory in the CPU is cache, its not the same as RAM. Its a different baal game alltogheter.

Your right his L2 cache should be 128 ? Semprons are crippled I believe . :)

eDIT: mabye 256 .

Virtualbody1234
11-14-2004, 06:00 PM
256... Just like the first Athlon XPs before the Bartons.

peat moss
11-14-2004, 06:08 PM
256... Just like the first Athlon XPs before the Bartons.

Well VB ,its a good bargain chip I guess, for a second computer . For homework or searching the web. Sorry if of topic but the 1 gb of ram seems like over kill! :)