PDA

View Full Version : Microsofts take on Firefox

peat moss
11-11-2004, 07:54 PM
Funny read , pompous asses !

Link: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5448719.html?part=netscape&subj=technews&tag=mynetscape

DanB
11-11-2004, 07:58 PM
"I don't believe it is a true statement that IE doesn't have the features that our customers want," he said. "We take user feedback very seriously. If you have that feedback, then you should feed it back to us because we will feed it to the product team."

:lol:

lee551
11-11-2004, 08:00 PM
seems they're in denial. :P

zedaxax
11-11-2004, 08:03 PM
The question is - even if Firefox or Opera ends up ruling Browser World
you still need Microsoft (xp) to run it
so 1 is microsoft 2 is the add ons
will microsoft loose any cash in the race against ze Fox
no

cause its part of the base

(sorry but im to lazy to start on linux)

natedogg
11-11-2004, 08:22 PM
wow there actully going to buld a new bowser, about damn time

Afronaut
11-11-2004, 08:26 PM
I use ze Fox because its more its more secure than IE.

The real problem is, teh IE and Windows are widely used,
thus the maliscious code is done for microsoft products, mainly.

I bet if ze Fox, or Opera, or other gets to be so big, it will most likely sart getting the
"security issues" too.

Everybody hates Crapware, but has anyone ever seen a dude IRL who does those?
Wouldn't you slap 'em silly?

:D

peat moss
11-11-2004, 08:48 PM
I was setting up a friends new computer last nite, for the internet . Talking to a online tec about my friends password. When I mentioned that I was setting up Firefox and Thunderbird. He was the one asking all the questions about what did I think of it! Spent ten minuets singing its praises ! :P

tesco
11-11-2004, 08:54 PM
pshhh.

stupid microsoft. :rolleyes:

fkdup74
11-11-2004, 11:30 PM
I was setting up a friends new computer last nite, for the internet . Talking to a online tec about my friends password. When I mentioned that I was setting up Firefox and Thunderbird. He was the one asking all the questions about what did I think of it! Spent ten minuets singing its praises ! :Pyeah, unfortunately it seems IE and netscape are the most supported by ISPs, etc.
shit, my ISP wont even offer tech support if i aint runnin IE or netscape :lol:
i mean, shit, it wouldnt KILL them to look into firefox, maxthon, etc, etc
i mean they are free ffs :P
they need to hire ME for tech support :01: :w00t:

from that web link:

We have plenty of features that our customers don't use.haha, aint THAT the truth, for M$ period :lol:

zapjb
11-12-2004, 04:25 AM
This FF 1.0 flys! I went from 0.93. Kept all my settings fn rocks.

uNz[i]
11-12-2004, 05:24 AM
Like my dear old mum says:
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

And like a little boy said in the old story:
The Emperor has no clothes! :sick:

M$ isn't in denial. They just suffer from arrogant self delusion.
They also seem to be swallowing thier own hype.

Now they expect us to do the same. Sorry M$. In my case at least, thats not going to happen again. :D

The fact that Firefox won't let ActiveX controls run from within the browser is a huge step toward a more secure system.
Would M$ be willing to remove that potential security risk from IE? I think not. :no:

Firefox is surfing the web the way it should be. IE is for Windows update. Nothing more, as far as I'm concerned.

Now... back to learning Linux... and the sooner the better. :P

Illuminati
11-12-2004, 11:13 AM
English reiterated that features such as tabbed browsing are not important to IE users.

That's somewhat true - Those people who would want it would rather go to Firefox or Opera than wait eons for IE to add it ;)

Anyway, I gotta agree with what has been said - MS have always had their share of denial and delusion of self-importance for the past decade. Not that I'm complaining though - Their lack to do anything with IE during a time when Opera is taking IE's unsecurity as an opportunity to jump ship, and Firefox's hugely enthusiastic campaign will likely means that IE will continue losing its market share for the next couple of years.

Microsoft's overconfidence will hopefully be IE's folly ;)

EDIT: Don't forget that both Firefox and Opera don't just run on Windows ;)

Barbarossa
11-19-2004, 12:44 PM
Can I just say, I installed Firefox today, after being a happy IE user for many years, I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

The fact that it automatically imports the IE favourites, cookies, passwords, etc, was a real nice feature. And they've actually implemented FavIcons so they work.

Within 5 minutes I had made it my default browser.

Firefox is everything a browser should be. 'Nuff said. It should be compulsory!

Skiz
11-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Personally, I am always taken aback with topics such as this one and its responses. I've used Firefox in the past and I'll be honest, I freakin hated the thing. I can actually say I was disappionted from the first moment I opened it.

The fact that it automatically imports the IE favourites, cookies, passwords, etc, was a real nice feature.
The google toolbar does this as well if you want it to. :)

DanB
11-19-2004, 04:31 PM
Personally, I am always taken aback with topics such as this one and its responses. I've used Firefox in the past and I'll be honest, I freakin hated the thing. I can actually say I was disappionted from the first moment I opened it.

The google toolbar does this as well if you want it to. :)

Yeah? You must be in the minority.

I'd never go back to IE after Firefox. Once you spent 10 mins setting it up, adding your extensions and plug-ins its magic

RPerry
11-19-2004, 04:34 PM

its ok if you don't like it, to each their own, but for what reason ? :huh:

Skiz
11-19-2004, 05:02 PM
its ok if you don't like it, to each their own, but for what reason ? :huh:
First of all, I like things simple. IE does everything I need it to and have ever wanted it to. I have never once said, "Damn, I wish IE could do....."

I don't like the "bells and whistles" of MF (the tabs, etc).

Listed in my 'favorites' I have nine folders and each folder has anywhere from 10-40 shortcuts. When I dl'd MF, it took every shortcut in the 'favorite' folders and listed them all together outside of the folders and in alphabetical order, then decided I needed some other shortcuts in there (to sponsored websites I'm sure). Needless to say, within 60 secs of installing MF, I was red in the face.

DanB
11-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Its pretty easy to reset it up though in the manage bookmarks section, you can even remove the ones they have as standard if you so wish.

But if you didn't like it you didn't like it. I was hooked afer about an hour on it though. It does take a little while to get it set up exactly how you want it, but thats what I like about it, you can set it up exactly how you want

iMartin
11-19-2004, 06:27 PM
...saying it is no less secure than any other browser and doesn't lack any important features.

Bull. Shit.

zapjb
11-19-2004, 07:40 PM
To each their own. Here's 1 point among many for my circumstances. I have dialup for 2 reasons: money ($5.95/mo vs. $45/mo) & security.

Firefox loads pages 5x-10x faster than IE. Pretty simple really.

tesco
11-20-2004, 03:15 AM
Three main things i like better about Firefox:
1. it handles png files and modern coded webpages. IE doesn't even support web features that have been standard in other browsers since the late 90's. I'll find a site that explains this better later.

2. More customizable. there's themes, tabs (if you want to use them), no "links" folder in bookmarks (kinda picky). It's open source so a lot of themes and extensions are made that add endless amounts of functionality and customizability to the browser.

3. It loads pages wayyyyy faster! :)

peat moss
11-20-2004, 03:23 AM
Well it is a matter of choice . I set up 2 or 3 computers a month for friends . I don't tell them what to use. But now I install Firefox ,And I let them decide .If they like it, then I install Thunderbird for them, but I always leave IE installed! :)

Illuminati
11-20-2004, 10:05 AM
Well it is a matter of choice . I set up 2 or 3 computers a month for friends . I don't tell them what to use. But now I install Firefox ,And I let them decide .If they like it, then I install Thunderbird for them, but I always leave IE installed! :)

Unless you use XPlite or similar, IE is always left installed ;)

BawA
11-20-2004, 01:20 PM
I use ze Fox because its more its more secure than IE.

The real problem is, teh IE and Windows are widely used,
thus the maliscious code is done for microsoft products, mainly.

I bet if ze Fox, or Opera, or other gets to be so big, it will most likely sart getting the
"security issues" too.

Everybody hates Crapware, but has anyone ever seen a dude IRL who does those?
Wouldn't you slap 'em silly?

:D

thats what ive always said to Lunix users, More famouse a program is more hackers attention it gets.
so stop saying Lunix is more safer :lol: