PDA

View Full Version : is there software to repair usb flashdrive?

mikenmike0001
11-12-2004, 05:31 AM
hey, i have this one 128mb usb flash drive that was working when one day i tried it on a school computer and it ended up acting all wierd. when i double clicked on the drive, it said that it needed to be formated, so I tried doing that, but it keeps saying "could not complete the format" over and over again........so what does this all mean? did my usb flash drive burn out?

i mean, i still see the light in it blinking when i scan it, so it's still active, but maybe the insert part got damanged or something

so you know how there's like software to repair hard drives and stuff, is there one for usb flashdrives?

uNz[i]
11-12-2004, 05:39 AM
That's odd. Those things are pretty tough... one IT guy I know left his USB drive in his pants.
His wife grabbed the pants and put them through the wash.
But the drive worked fine once it dried out again...

How old is your USB drive?
Older ones can only have data written to/removed from them about 100,000 times before they die.
The current models are rated up to around a million write/deletes.

Perhaps it's past its use by date?

Ariel_001
11-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Try a "quick" format. Then later (if it works) use chkdsk (or scandisk) on it.

Hitchhiker427
11-13-2004, 03:37 AM
when trying to format, make sure you format using FAT and not NTFS or FAT32. I know that was the problem when I tryed to format my friend's USB drive.

mikenmike0001
11-13-2004, 07:43 AM
i did do that......i tried the quick and full and changed the format, it gives the same error message saying "format was unable to complete"....

mikenmike0001
11-13-2004, 07:43 AM
does that mean that it got fried at the tip or somethign? damn those school computers, THEY JACKED UP MY USB FLASH!!!

HailAntonLaVey
11-13-2004, 06:13 PM
hey, i have this one 128mb usb flash drive that was working when one day i tried it on a school computer and it ended up acting all wierd. when i double clicked on the drive, it said that it needed to be formated, so I tried doing that, but it keeps saying "could not complete the format" over and over again........so what does this all mean? did my usb flash drive burn out?

i mean, i still see the light in it blinking when i scan it, so it's still active, but maybe the insert part got damanged or something

so you know how there's like software to repair hard drives and stuff, is there one for usb flashdrives?
Yes,there is software.Its called money and buying a new one.Get it "soft-ware".Lovely.Tell then adieu

mikenmike0001
11-13-2004, 08:07 PM
seriously.....but give me an example of a software program that has the option of repairing flash drives....?

orcutt989
11-13-2004, 09:55 PM
This question is equivalent to asking.."Is there a program that can fix my shovel?"

HailAntonLaVey
11-14-2004, 02:41 AM
This question is equivalent to asking.."Is there a program that can fix my shovel?"
I do agree to that.Lovely,tell then adieu

mikenmike0001
11-15-2004, 07:34 AM
uh....i dont' get it..

Sudden
11-15-2004, 09:57 AM

so you know how there's like software to repair hard drives and stuff, is there one for usb flashdrives?Have You Damaged your Flash Drive?

Bent or Damaged pins on the USB slot(School=Usually)
Try Another comp

When it asked you to format Was it on win98 system.
win98 do need drivers to recognise flash drives.

On the FlashDrive Was there a Partion on it.
winXp Doesn't need software to recognise it,
But it does need to install software for the flash drive so you can partion it

Try Rght clicking - Explore (WinXP)
Have you downloaded something to your flash drive
Try deleting it.

I Hope This Helps :)

TheKiler
11-15-2004, 12:26 PM
Well, your screwed basically. Try smashing it on the floor and plugging it back in. If that doesn't work, get an exchange if your still under warranty.

mikenmike0001
11-16-2004, 07:19 AM
alright, finally some advice from 2 people......thanks for the reply........but yeah, i'm using windows xp , and i tried it on mine and 2 other people's laptop since that incident happened at the school lab computer station......that piece of shit, .....damn, what a waste of 30 bucks if i can't repair it......

THAT"S why I'm still unsure of getting the 1 gig flashdrive, shit, those things range from 70-200 bucks, and if this little faulty problem occurs on that......i'm screwed

Afronaut
11-16-2004, 09:02 AM
If I was to buy one, I'd try to find reviews and such on the Njet,
might find some info what adverts dont tell.

Then again, im not going to buy one anytime soon.

I'd get a USB Hard Drive, not a Flash I guess.

:)

The manufactors site might have info and im pretty sure if
there's a software to fix it, that should be mentioned in the site also.

;)

Sudden
11-16-2004, 11:11 AM
alright, finally some advice from 2 people......thanks for the reply........but yeah, i'm using windows xp , and i tried it on mine and 2 other people's laptop since that incident happened at the school lab computer station......that piece of shit, .....damn, what a waste of 30 bucks if i can't repair it......

THAT"S why I'm still unsure of getting the 1 gig flashdrive, shit, those things range from 70-200 bucks, and if this little faulty problem occurs on that......i'm screwed
Afronaut
The manufactors site might have info and im pretty sure if
there's a software to fix it, that should be mentioned in the site also.
;) Your Flash Drive Should Have Come with some Software
ie:install Drivers/Install Partions(so you can Boot from it)/Recover Disc Function

If you havn't got the software,

Do what Afronaut wrote

On The site you Should find The software.

Look for Recover Disc Function.
It will Erase everthing/anything on it.
This should Repair it. :)

mikenmike0001
11-17-2004, 05:22 AM
recover disc function? hm...... i gotta check that out, but yeah, thanks people..

Sudden
11-17-2004, 10:59 AM
recover disc function? hm...... i gotta check that out, but yeah, thanks people..
Recover (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/Okayitsme/Usersmanul_Page_33.jpg) Disk

qeni
05-08-2007, 01:28 PM
i did do that......i tried the quick and full and changed the format, it gives the same error message saying "format was unable to complete"....
i want format usb flash

i want format usb flash but my computer write: windows wes unable to complete the format !