PDA

View Full Version : System Hiccupping

mr. nails
11-12-2004, 11:57 PM
ok, i'm not sure when this started or if it was kinda there already or what. i do know that it IS getting worse and i'm tired of it. my pc is hiccupping a lot. more so when i am running applications. playing games is where i started to see it. i would get a slight pause. nothing else, just a slight pause. that's what i get still, but is happening more often. outside of games too. at the desktop while chatting on msn or playing winamp. getting slight pauses. maybe my cpu? videocard? drivers? xp? maybe a bios update prob? the board started with 1.05. then i updated to 1.07 and more recently 1.08. can't remember if prob started at 1.05 or 7 or 8. don't know. maybe not enough or to much arctic silver? should a person take the cpu out and reinstall after a bios update? lol, i'm not sure. anyone have some clues for me? hell, some answers? like to keep talking about this, but gotta run to work. thx for any comments.

kaiweiler
11-13-2004, 12:11 AM
Describe this "pause".
If you are playing music, does the music pause as well? Or is it just visual things like scrolling or moving your cursor that pause?

orcutt989
11-13-2004, 03:13 AM
Have you tried restarting? Maybe you have alot of background applications running, or lots of spyware/viruses. Just try restarting, and see if that helps.

lynx
11-13-2004, 11:20 AM
I can't tell you what is causing these problems, but I can tell you what isn't.

First of all, it will not be anything to do with too much/little Arctic Silver. It simply can't cause such problems. There is also no need to remove and replace the CPU after a bios upgrade.

Different bios versions 1.05/7/8 are also very unlikely to cause this sort of problem. Mostly the bios versions control things before the OS can take over. They do some assignment of some things (such as interrupts), so information can come from the bios but generally the bios is inactive once the OS is up and running. The only time the OS lets the bios run things is when it is in "safe" mode.

As suggested by orcutt989, do a full virus/spyware check. From what you've said this has obviously being going on for some time, so the "restart" option isn't going to do any good. After that, look at the various services, stopping some of those can have a dramatic effect on performance.

RGX
11-13-2004, 11:46 AM
Defragged recently?

Afronaut
11-13-2004, 12:38 PM
Give some Water.

Or Scare the shits out of it.

Nah, I'd start from running Spyware and Viri checks...

peat moss
11-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Not at lot to go on to help you. But why all the BIOS updates? I don't aften say to reformat and reinstall , but good option . If you can flash your bios you'll not have any trouble reinstalling . Back up, wipe it clean ,update . Then see if your having problems . But just My thoughts . :)

mr. nails
11-13-2004, 01:15 PM
i keep my system fairly updated and always defrag and virus checks and always check for spyware. so, i'm thinking that none of those are at fault. yeah, i restart my pc twice a day so out the door with that. also, i format my pc regularly too. after doing all said above it still does the "pause".

kaiweiler, yes, my music pauses with this "pause" and u can notice my mouse cursor disappear and reappear where it would had been if u kept moving ur mouse. it is less than a sec pause, but very noticable.

as for apps running in the background i usually have about 25 running in background, but that has always been the case and (back in the day) never had the issue.

i don't have any friends that carry a cpu i can trade out to test so... maybe cpu going out?

peat moss
11-13-2004, 01:23 PM
After reading your post and sig. Why knock your self out? Mabey take to a good shop, let them test it .You sound like youv' tryed everthing. Some charge $20 dollars Can. to test , then atlest you'll have a good idea. :)

Virtualbody1234
11-13-2004, 01:36 PM
First thing I can think of is... Set everything back to stock speeds (No overclocking).

And... Did you install the Nvidia chipset drivers?

peat moss
11-13-2004, 02:08 PM
First thing I can think of is... Set everything back to stock speeds (No overclocking).

VB good eye , but I see no overclocking terms. But the BIOS updates stick in my mind . Why?

mr. nails
11-13-2004, 02:44 PM

nothing is overclocked on my system and i have never overclocked anything on my system either. as for the chipset drivers, yes i did install.

peat moss: for the bios updates, why not?

kaiweiler
11-13-2004, 04:31 PM
mr. nails, have you tried the suggestions that have been given to you yet?

mr. nails
11-13-2004, 11:58 PM
mr. nails, have you tried the suggestions that have been given to you yet?
um, yeah dude, i have.

kaiweiler
11-14-2004, 01:51 AM
um, yeah dude, i have.
And none have worked yet?
What about formatting your OS partition?

mr. nails
11-14-2004, 01:47 PM
And none have worked yet?
What about formatting your OS partition?
that doesn't help

tesco
11-14-2004, 02:10 PM
that doesn't help
you tried it?

are there some drivers you haven't installed?

oh and just for the sake of it run hijackthis! and post us the log.

mr. nails
11-14-2004, 10:59 PM
you tried it?

are there some drivers you haven't installed?

oh and just for the sake of it run hijackthis! and post us the log.
yes, i've tried formating. and i have no idea what "hijack this" is.

i just used that hijack this. what's that supposed to do? i've never used it be4. what's that telling me?