PDA

View Full Version : Normal P4 cpu temps

bob_the_alien
11-14-2004, 12:13 AM
Well first off, I wanna say hey, I haven't been here in months now, all my time is spent at school or work, and I MEAN ALL OF IT, working two jobs, plus school full time. but school is starting to wine down for the semester so I'm having a little bit more free time.
Anyway, it's good to be back.

But I have a question, I have always been an AMD fan, as many of you that known me in the past here, already know, however, recently, I came upon a bundle deal that gave me a P4 3.4 ghz chip, intel motherboard and a copy of windows pro for 200, so I couldn't pass it up.
well, I built a whole new system.
1 gb pc2-4300 ddr2 ram, pcx 5750 vid card, new 16x dl dvd burner, Maxor Sata 160gb hdd, to go along with my chip and board.
Now I'm used to my athlon 2500 running at a normal temp of 30 degree Celsius and about 36 on full load. But the p4 is running at about 50 degree Celsius, and I haven't even checked yet on full load, (Kinda don't wanna see it)
So am I just freakin out here, or is this above normal running temps.
I think I might have to water cool either way though, cuz whether it's normal or not, it's messing with me it being that high.

fkdup74
11-14-2004, 02:30 AM
helpful link for ya....
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/CS-007999.htm

other than that, my best advice would be to stay away from pentium :lol:

lynx
11-14-2004, 10:34 AM
The old story of AMD chips running hotter than Intel is no longer true.

That's what you get when you concentrate on ever increasing clock speeds instead of improving chip design. Intel have got a long way to go to catch up with AMD in that area.

bob_the_alien
11-15-2004, 11:57 PM
Well, I'm going to go ahead and water cool it.
but it seems to run fine, and never has any problems, but that kinda heat just freaks me out.
But a new cooling system I think it going to be a must.
thanks for the input.