PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Fonts in Fedora Core 3

true_neo
11-14-2004, 01:05 PM
I am having problems with the font in Firefox 1.0 Final on Fedora Core 3.
All webpages seems to be printed in the SAME font, only with different font weights and sizes. This makes some webpages quite hard to read, I have to magnify the font size in FF itself.

I have googled this problem, but found only ancient reports that advises us to install a different FF build. Problem is, this issue is for 0.8, and the version of this they tell you to install does not seem to exist for 1.0 (and no way in hell am I reverting :p)

Anyone?
Cheers in advance :)

//peace

{I}{K}{E}
11-14-2004, 01:29 PM
So you dont want version 1.0?
1.0 has many bug fixes... you should upgrade ;)

true_neo
11-14-2004, 02:21 PM
I just said I AM running 1.0, and I DON'T want to revert to 0.8, mate ;)

{I}{K}{E}
11-14-2004, 03:41 PM
I just said I AM running 1.0, and I DON'T want to revert to 0.8, mate ;)

oops srry :lol:

LSA
11-14-2004, 06:02 PM
When you startx do this instead:

startx -- -dpi 75

If you boot into X automatically, change your runlevel to 3. In /etc/inittab change this line:

id:5:initdefault:

to

id:3:initdefault:

I had a similar problem a while ago 'startx -- -dpi 75' fixed it, so maybe this will help.

EDIT:
Why was this moved? :huh:

true_neo
11-15-2004, 09:05 AM
Alrite, Ill try to edit that line... so I dont have to worry about that "startx"? It boots Fedora auto if thats what you meant ;)
o and should I try to find one of those infamous nVidia fixes? I am running GeForce MX 4 64 MB lol

Thanks for the help mate :)

And yeah I wonder why it landed in software, its not exactly Winblows software we are discussing here ;)

true_neo
11-15-2004, 09:31 PM
FFS! I am not happy now.... Your little "initlevel3" cause FC to become unable to load the graphical interface, it got stuck with command line.
Me being a newbie, could not find any way of undoing this so it ended up with me having to reformat the hd and reinstall.....
:dry: :dry: :frusty: :angry:

LSA
11-15-2004, 09:40 PM
FFS! I am not happy now.... Your little "initlevel3" cause FC to become unable to load the graphical interface, it got stuck with command line.
Me being a newbie, could not find any way of undoing this so it ended up with me having to reformat the hd and reinstall.....
:dry: :dry: :frusty: :angry:

startx is how you start the GUI...a simple google search would of revealed that. Don't try to blame be me :rolleyes:

Or you could of just changed it back to id:5:initdefault: :crying:

true_neo
11-16-2004, 06:53 AM
I dont blame you mate :P
I think thre was something with "gtk", whatever the piss that is. It said there was an error about Gtk... I don't know what that is... Today is my 5th day using Linux ffs :P

And how would I edit that inittab file back to 5 through the command line then?

LSA
11-16-2004, 09:04 PM
And how would I edit that inittab file back to 5 through the command line then?

The same you you changed it to 3.

Open /etc/inittab as root in a text editory (kedit, vim, pico, etc)
Find this line (no quotes):

"id:3:initdefault:"

and change it to (no quotes)

"id:5:initdefault:"

true_neo
11-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Yeah well abit too late for this now aint it? I already reinstalled (1. I already said I did and 2. how would I be typing this if I hadn't :P)
I didnt think you could edit a file through gedit from shell, gah this could of saved me lots of hassle in the past XD ah well.

Meh I am reasking this question in the FedoraForum, hopefully one of them will be able to tell me how to change the dpi :)

LSA
11-17-2004, 01:09 AM
Yeah well abit too late for this now aint it? I already reinstalled (1. I already said I did and 2. how would I be typing this if I hadn't :P)

But you asked me after you reformated. :lol:

I didnt think you could edit a file through gedit from shell
You're right, my bad :devil:

true_neo
11-17-2004, 03:02 PM
But you asked me after you reformated. :lol:XD yeah. But at least I learned now, eh? ;)
Plus, every time I reformat, my install seems to get better and better :P

Another thing I learned is that nVidia sucks, they recompiled my kernel which now makes up2date tell me theres an update to kernel, plus I get some errors at boot.
Meh it all works fine, so if the errors arnt solved after the update of kernel, thats no problem :shifty:

LSA
11-17-2004, 09:08 PM
Plus, every time I reformat, my install seems to get better and better :P

The same thing happened with me, my first install of Red Hat 9 was such a mess :sick: