PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Windows ME to XP is dearer ! WHY ?

digmen1
11-15-2004, 02:38 AM
This is weird.

I am on Windows ME (i know it sucks) and am keen to upgrade to XP.

What I find stange is that the price I have been quoted for an upgrade version is dearer than the price if I buy XP for a firsrttime install.

$ 240 NZ as against $ 180

The only differenc is that the upgrade version allows e to keep all of my applications.

I think I would be better off to do a complete new install on a formatted hard drive.

Surely as a regsistered user of ME I should be entitled to some sort of "trade-in" Like with a car !

I contributed to Microsoft's coffers when I purchased ME and do not see why I should pay the same price as a new comer to computers buying Windows for the first time.

What do you think ?

Regards
Digmen.

PS I am sorely tempted to d/l a copy of XP or to go Linux as Microsoft's policy in this area annoys me.

zapjb
11-15-2004, 02:44 AM
Jeez buy software. Hadn't thought of that.

peat moss
11-15-2004, 03:25 AM
Oh gee don't pay ! Why, there are plenty of ways to download on this site. Use the search botton, LUKE !

Virtualbody1234
11-15-2004, 03:32 AM
Just download what you need.

You can try Linux too.

peat moss
11-15-2004, 03:33 AM
Just download what you need.

You can try Linux too.

Ya VB , like a dual boot !

RealitY
11-15-2004, 06:06 AM
I am sorely tempted to d/l a copy of XP or to go Linux as Microsoft's policy in this area annoys me.
:ohmy: :ohmy:

3RA1N1AC
11-15-2004, 06:37 AM
What I find stange is that the price I have been quoted for an upgrade version is dearer than the price if I buy XP for a firsrttime install.

$ 240 NZ as against $ 180
bah. someone's pulling a scam. in the u.s., the full version of XP Home was originally $200 USD and the upgrade version was $100 USD. maybe the upgrade discs have lapsed out of print because the demand for them is getting low, and now shop owners see a chance to sell their last copies at outrageous prices to the desperate few who still want 'em.

not that the prices of software aren't outrageous to start with. but at least with XP they gave home users an arguably "new" system (based on the technology of the professional line), as opposed to WinME which was Win98 in a different box.

RealitY
11-15-2004, 06:40 AM
I think the reson its pricey perhaps is due to jumping multiple steps...

tesco
11-15-2004, 12:54 PM
don't buy the upgrade version.
don't attempt an upgrade from me either.

just format and install a fresh copy or your store bought or downloaded windows xp. (if u download then make sure to get sp2(service pack 2) slipstreamed).

ObiWan
11-15-2004, 08:02 PM
You should format and install a fresh copy as windows doesn't handle upgrades well

PS a full version should still allow an upgrade as long as it is not an OEM

digmen1
11-15-2004, 10:42 PM
Thanks guys for all of your help and suggestions.

I still think Microdollars should offer me Xp full new version at half price for putting up with ME.

I have writen to them, but have only got a brief interim reply so far.

Regards
Digby

If I downloaded a copy of XP from say K/L how easy woudl it then be to do a clean install ? Would I then have to burn it on to a CD ?

This why I really want to buy a legit copy of XP as it should work properly etc.

Samurai
11-15-2004, 11:13 PM
Woah. Either I'm really tired or those prices you quoted are just plain wrong!

Everyone knows the UK is probably one of the most expensive places in Europe, but I can purchase Windows XP Home for £64.63 ($170.96 NZ) or Pro for £100 ($264.53).

orcutt989
11-15-2004, 11:16 PM
DO NOT UPGRADE ME TO XP. I REPEAT, DO NOT UPGRADE FROM ME TO XP. This will result in numerous errors. It will multiply the errors in the already terrible operating system of ME times fourteen if you upgrade it to XP.

Afronaut
11-15-2004, 11:38 PM
DO NOT UPGRADE ME TO XP. I REPEAT, DO NOT UPGRADE FROM ME TO XP. This will result in numerous errors. It will multiply the errors in the already terrible operating system of ME times fourteen if you upgrade it to XP.

This one says it all. I agree, the Upgrade is the last option, Clean Install is the way to go.

I saw few Win XP Pro Corporate (no activation) with SP2 integrated on
suprnova today.

DL the ISO and try it out yourself, they're usually as good if not better than originals.

;)