PDA

View Full Version : networking help

Duffman
11-15-2004, 02:44 AM
OK heres my setup:

I have a usb cable modem connecting to Computer A.
Computer A has a crossover cable going into computer B.
Computer B doesn't have a moniter, it has tv out but its very hard to see what im doing.
My plan is to SSH from A to B, but I need help getting the network setup to so I can SSH.
Oh and computer B will be running linux, proboballly simplyMepis, so pls guys I need help!

100%
11-15-2004, 03:56 AM
Nice setup
maybe pm a moderator to move this question to hardwareworld
is all i can offer

Duffman
11-15-2004, 04:08 AM
but its a networking quesiton, software, not hardware.

gildan2020
11-15-2004, 12:34 PM
erm, ur kinda in the wrong section to ask
it's more suitable to be asked in the InternetWorld...perhaps a mod can move it there

gildan2020

tesco
11-15-2004, 01:00 PM
erm, ur kinda in the wrong section to ask
it's more suitable to be asked in the InternetWorld...perhaps a mod can move it there

gildan2020
no, it's a software question. :P

what is SSH? maybe if i knew what it stood for i could help. :ermm:

Duffman
11-15-2004, 05:26 PM
maybe im calling it the wrong thing, im talking about remote acess to a computer through a network, a shell account or something?

ilw
11-15-2004, 10:16 PM
easiest way to get a graphics based connection (ie picture of computer B desktop on computer A) would imo be tightvnc/vnc as it comes with most linux distros and is win compatible (if comp A is windows). If you just want text (ie a console) then ssh will work fine, it comes with linux and if you want a windows client: try putty.
Try posting in linuxworld or ask a mod to move it there, at least people will know what you;re talking about when you say ssh.

Oh and say whats wrong with your network or what you need help with exactly. And more info about the network, specifically waht computer A is running.

Duffman
11-16-2004, 12:09 AM
computer a is an amd 2500+, gig of 3200, 9800pro, all that, and my modem is usb, So i want to use my nic, to network to another computer, and I need to know how to get the ssh to work step by step on xp to mepis (linux), because the tv out sucks so bad I can't see what im doing to play around.

ilw
11-16-2004, 05:31 PM
setting up the network: (if you can ping between linux and xp already you can skip down to the 'Connecting once the network is set up' bit

Personally i always set up static ip addresses because imo it makes things easier, so I'll run through that way:
in xp go to start -> control panel -> network connections, right click your nic goto properties. Then select internet tcp/ip from the scrollable list, click properties, click: 'use the following ip', enter an ip address from the range
192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255
set subnet (if it doesn't do it automatically) to 255.255.255.0
i think you can leave the gateway and dns settings blank as you're using a usb modem (i might be wrong)

In linux (I've never used mepis), but if you browse around hte configuration settings your bound to find a program to edit the network settings. Set linux to have a static ip address in the same range (but not the same!) and set it to have the same subnet (might be called net mask).

Once thats set up you should be able to ping each computer from the other (assuming you turn off all firewalls including the windows one).
to ping the other computer simple open up a terminal in linux or a dos prompt in xp (start -> run -> cmd) and type

ping ip_address_of_other_comp

for example

ping 192.168.1.1

it should start listing some times taken for packets to travel between the two comps. (ctrl c to stop the program if needs be) If it says connection timed out or something to that effect then post back here cos i've screwed up somewhere :)

Connecting once the network is set up:

Download & install putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) on xp. run it, select the ssh radio button and type in the ip address you set for the linux computer and click open, et voila that should be it. You will then have to enter your username and password and the rest is exactly like a terminal (give or take).
Logging out is i think done with the command logout.

Hope that helps, I made it as step by step as i could remember.

something that might help: typing
ipconfig /all
at a dos prompt gives you your computers ip address(es)

If you decide you want graphical remote login from xp, check out tightvnc (http://www.tightvnc.com/) as linux probbaly comes with a vnc server built in.

Samurai
11-16-2004, 06:08 PM
Sounds like some good advice. That 'putty' client looks good.

Duffman
11-17-2004, 02:54 AM
Thanks!! I could have figured it out, but the tv out sucks, and I can't do it on instinct, thanks so much man.