PDA

View Full Version : Colin Powell resigns

DanB
11-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Colin Powell to resign top US job

US Secretary of State Colin Powell has said he is resigning, his department has confirmed.

He will step down from his post once President Bush has chosen a successor, officials were quoted as saying.

The 67-year-old, long rumoured to have planned to serve only one term, was said to have submitted his resignation to President George W Bush last Friday.

A White House spokesman said three other cabinet level resignations would be announced on Monday.

One of those is Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham.

"The Secretary announced to his staff this morning that he had submitted his resignation on Friday," Reuters quoted a state department official as saying.

"He said he was staying on until a successor is confirmed and on board."

Mr Powell was seen as a moderate voice within the Bush administration.

Interesting. 3 more resignations to be announced too. Do you think his own people are jumoing ship before it gets any worse? :unsure:

Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4013621.stm)

Rat Faced
11-15-2004, 03:31 PM
I dont think so Dan...

As an example, the guy thats replacing Ashcroft is the one that told Bush that it was OK to ignore the Geneva Convention and tell him ways of getting around it too.. :(

DanB
11-15-2004, 03:35 PM
I dont think so Dan...

As an example, the guy thats replacing Ashcroft is the one that told Bush that it was OK to ignore the Geneva Convention and tell him ways of getting around it too.. :(

Oh dear :ohmy:

RPerry
11-15-2004, 03:46 PM
wow, I had actually thought Colin Powell had changed his mind, he's a better man than I thought :P

vidcc
11-15-2004, 05:45 PM
I do wonder if the old "did they jump or were they pushed ?" will be raised.... seems that with nothing to lose, bush can't run again, he is placing more extreme people in positions to force his agenda.

spinningfreemanny
11-15-2004, 06:44 PM
It was known that Colin Powell was seeking to only serve one term; he stated such when he first accepted the office.

ruthie
11-15-2004, 09:02 PM
yes, he's thinking of Condi-mushroom cloud rice as Powell's replacement. Just friggin great.

vidcc
11-15-2004, 09:07 PM
do you think we are seeing the "mistakes in who i chose" that Bush spoke of when asked if he has made any mistakes ?

ahctlucabbuS
11-15-2004, 09:10 PM
do you think we are seeing the "mistakes in who i chose" that Bush spoke of when asked if he has made any mistakes ?

This was my first thought as well.

Edit:

His letter of resignation (http://www.dagbladet.no/download/brev1_stor.jpg)

spinningfreemanny
11-15-2004, 09:23 PM
I like powell...

Powell in 08?

ruthie
11-15-2004, 10:31 PM
I think we are seeing..oh those mistakes I made...I bet I can make even BIGGER ones now...