PDA

View Full Version : Disc burning probs, hardware?

Silver_Dales
11-16-2004, 02:26 PM
The problem is that I dl Shark tale and converted it then burnt it onto a DVD, then a few friends wanted copies so I copied it no problem. Then recently a couple more relatives wanted copies so I again copied it but when I put the discs in my stand alone player they froze. I then tested the discs in the 3 other players in the house and no problems. The original disc still plays ok. I have also dl Incredibles and when I burn that the same thing but this time it won't get past the first chapter before freezing. So I thought maybe it is my player, but again recently when I have burnt a few Audio CDs a couple of them came up as burn failed but they are actually perfectly ok. The most recent thing was that I dl the Xvid of I Robot and converted and burnt that to disc and again it freezes in the stand alone at the beginning, when I play it in one of the other players it plays but seems jumpy and skippy. So could this be my DVD Burner packing up? I can't think of anything else.

Virtualbody1234
11-16-2004, 04:45 PM
Maybe the media is defective?

You could also try burning at a slower speed.

lynx
11-16-2004, 05:34 PM
Maybe the media isn't compatible with your stand-alone player.

Silver_Dales
11-16-2004, 09:18 PM
I have used the same reliable midrange media all along with a coaster ratio of 1 in 25, and the early burns on the same media still play perfectly. Also I always burn at 2x. Tonight I tried to copy a DVDr back up of Troy, the back up I have plays perfectly with my stand alone. I copied with DVD DEcrypter in ISO mode and then burnt with the same at 2x. The result was the same, it goes to the menu then freezes when you go to play the film. The same disc plays perfectly in all the other players.
I really cant work out if its the player or the burner.
Any thing I burnt before last week plays ok on my stand alone but since then any thing I burn wont play on my stand alone but plays ok on all the other players.

fkdup74
11-16-2004, 10:19 PM
could be a media issue
an ASPI layer might help
a firmware update might help
checking the drive that the movies are stored on for errors may help

lynx
11-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Media suppliers sometimes change the dye used on the disks. You can find out info about the disk in CD/DVD manager if you've got Alcohol 120%, or Nero Infotool. Compare one that works with your current media. I found that Datawrite Red V2 disks were not compatible with my Sony burner, but there had been no warning that the disks were different from the original Datawrite Reds.

After that, if you find that everything seems to be the same in terms of media, you may be right to suspect hardware failure. Perhaps your stand-alone player has a slightly higher threshold requirement than the other players, and if your burner is starting to fail it's output may be just dropping below that threshold.

How old is the burner? How often do you use it? If it has had a lot of use it is possible that it is simply wearing out. They certainly don't seem to be as reliable as the early CD burners. My POS Sony certainly didn't last 2 years.

Silver_Dales
11-17-2004, 04:16 PM
Media suppliers sometimes change the dye used on the disks. You can find out info about the disk in CD/DVD manager if you've got Alcohol 120%, or Nero Infotool. Compare one that works with your current media. I found that Datawrite Red V2 disks were not compatible with my Sony burner, but there had been no warning that the disks were different from the original Datawrite Reds.

After that, if you find that everything seems to be the same in terms of media, you may be right to suspect hardware failure. Perhaps your stand-alone player has a slightly higher threshold requirement than the other players, and if your burner is starting to fail it's output may be just dropping below that threshold.

How old is the burner? How often do you use it? If it has had a lot of use it is possible that it is simply wearing out. They certainly don't seem to be as reliable as the early CD burners. My POS Sony certainly didn't last 2 years.

That sounds like it makes sense especially "Perhaps your stand-alone player has a slightly higher threshold requirement than the other players, and if your burner is starting to fail it's output may be just dropping below that threshold." that would explain why old burns work but new ones dont.
The burner is almost a year old and is an Optorite A201 which I have given quite a hammering.

accat13
11-17-2004, 05:09 PM
This could be just a poor media issue.Have you upgraded the firmware recently (can't hurt) http://www.optorite.com/_english/web/2_service/2_firmwares.phpThe brand name on the media doesn't change but the media code does...one brand of media can have 2 or 3 different manufacturers(media codes)The trick is to find a good reliable media at a cheap price (good luck).If you want to dwell into the mysteries of media have a look around here http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33 you may wish you hadn't..You will wonder how you ever burned a good disc before or bought proper media...Not many people burn a disc then scan it to check for errors and quality of burn (boy I must be bored lol)

Silver_Dales
11-19-2004, 09:21 AM
Work this one out. I burnt a film twice last night and both copies played fine in my stand alone! Whats going on?
Wierd!!!

tesco
11-20-2004, 02:55 AM
Work this one out. I burnt a film twice last night and both copies played fine in my stand alone! Whats going on?
Wierd!!!
could be anything.
maybe half of those cds were the old type of die and te top half were the new type. :lol:

or could be something outrageous like maybe at the time you were burning was a high power usage day\night and your burner was getting .00001 volts lees than it needs so the burns weren't as exact as the working ones. :lol: