PDA

View Full Version : can i have two firewalls on the same computer?

vietguy
11-17-2004, 02:27 AM
i am using zonealarm and i have just downloaded pc-cillin 2005. it has the firewall too. is it ok if i enable the firewall in pc-cillin or i have to leave it disabled? if i only need one, which one should i keep?

Samurai
11-17-2004, 02:43 AM
I'd recommend one only as you shouldn't need more than one if it's a good firewall.

Out of the 2 you suggested, I'd keep the Zone Alarm, but I highly recommend Sygate.

Don't run two at once as they can, and probably will conflict.

peat moss
11-17-2004, 02:45 AM
I have heard running two can cause more troubles than its worth! Why not disable ZA then try PC cillin ,Use a web site to run a few scans then decide. I have n't heard to many good things about Pc cillin tho!

http://www.auditmypc.com/

SaYiaN
11-17-2004, 02:50 AM
I also wouldn't recommend it, onces when i ran sygate pro and kerio personal fw, things went a little crazy :O

fkdup74
11-17-2004, 02:16 PM
leave the pc cillian fw out...
ZA or sygate is about the best you can do
and any firewall should tell you upon installing that....

a. you have another firewall installed
b. the two are gonna clash
c. plz to remove one or the other :p

cause basically they all clash if i remember right

zapjb
11-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Outpost is just as good as Sygate maybe better. Although Sygate is easier to setup. I wouldn't recommend za at all.

firefox
11-17-2004, 09:07 PM
with software firewalls use only one, but you could always use a hardware firewall and one software firewall together.

peat moss
11-18-2004, 01:31 AM
Outpost is just as good as Sygate maybe better. Although Sygate is easier to setup. I wouldn't recommend za at all.

Why not ZA, zapjb? It's all I 'v every tryed. When I do a online scan from different sites , I seem to be invisable ! Mind you I have other tweaks like un plug and pray , and some ports closed. But just wondering. :)

zapjb
11-18-2004, 03:34 AM
@peat moss, Hell can't remember why now. Just got off work. lol.

tesco
11-18-2004, 03:43 AM
just leave zone alarm liek people said.

and if you enable the pc-cillin one then it may conflict with zone alarm.