PDA

View Full Version : Linksys WAG54G ADSL Modem Router

Samurai
11-18-2004, 12:47 AM
Anyone here know how to turn the built-in firewll OFF. It's kinda preventing me from accessing certain clients.

http://www.linksys.com/international/product.asp?coid=6&ipid=371

I tried turning the NAT off, but I couldn't load any web pages and had to revert, so any specific settings would be great.

Cheers, Samurai :ph34r:

Samurai
11-18-2004, 07:01 PM
Anyone?

HailAntonLaVey
11-20-2004, 02:17 AM
OMG WHAT THE FUCK,sorry a bit random.About your router the built in firewall in on all the time by default.To turn if off you have to go into the settings page of your router and be sure to have the lastest software that goes with your router as well.Anymore information would help.Tell then adieu

Samurai
11-20-2004, 02:19 AM
I already knew that. I just need to know what it is I need to change.

And yes, my router has the latest firmware.

HailAntonLaVey
11-20-2004, 02:27 AM
Oooo well change the router port settings such as 80,23,56,4662.Those ports are used for file transfer and are the main ports blocked by a firewall,other then that you should be lovely.Tell then adieu

tesco
11-20-2004, 02:36 AM
what is it that isn't connecting?
find out the ports those applications need then do some port forwarding.

you should also make sure to make your computer's IP adress static. If it as dynamic then every time it changed you would have to port forward again. :(

Samurai
11-20-2004, 04:40 AM
No I can connect fine but I do not wish to use the built-in firewall, just the modem. There must be a way to turn it off and make it 'Modem Only'. I managed to do this on my last modem (Netgear DG632), so it should work on my Linksys.

Basically, I'm going to use my software based firewall instead to protect me and want my hardware firewall disabled.

muchspl2
11-20-2004, 07:10 AM
isn't there a 800 #
just call for tech support

shn
11-20-2004, 09:10 AM
Hello there Samurai. In regard to your router situation there should be an option in the administration panel to make any machine on your network DMZ mode. All ports will then be open on that machine and you can choose to run whatever personal firewall you wish without your router blocking the traffic.

Samurai
11-20-2004, 03:39 PM
Hello there Samurai. In regard to your router situation there should be an option in the administration panel to make any machine on your network DMZ mode. All ports will then be open on that machine and you can choose to run whatever personal firewall you wish without your router blocking the traffic.

Thanks shn. Think you've hit the nail on the head.

Appreciated :beerchug:

tesco
11-20-2004, 03:52 PM
wh do you want it disabled though. i dont get it.

if you just use the hardware firewall, properly configured (port forwarding) then you wont need a software firewall slowing your system down....

Samurai
11-20-2004, 04:00 PM
just seems that although i've forwarded ports for certain programs i'm sure i can get much better speeds, so i'm going to test it without the firewall so to speak, but still have my pc's one active.