PDA

View Full Version : Video and other stuff

[Spam]
11-19-2004, 10:17 PM
I am currently thinking about updrading my PC.

I wish to add RAM (already have 256MB, want to upgrade to 512) and install a video card (currently using crappy ass integrated video).

With RAM, is it just plug and play? You stick it in and it works?

And about the video, I have serveral questions:

1) I have seen that the popular cards are the Radeon by ATi and GeForce by nVidia. Which would you recommend?

2) Which model would you recommend? I am aiming to spend around CAD$100.

3) Would there be any conflicts with my existing integrated video?

harrycary
11-19-2004, 11:39 PM
memory should plug-n-play. just be sure to power off and unplug your PC first. then ground your self by touching the chassis. that's it. it should automatically be recognized. you may even see the change on-screen when booting up.

about your video card, $100 will get you a card that will satisfy most people. look for DDR-type memory, the more the better. CPU clock speed is negligible(unless your a hardcore gamer), TV out is a plus. some cards have TV tuners, usually more expensive tho.

you may have to disable your existing on-board video. either with a jumper physically located on your motherboard or in your systems BIOS(basic input/output system). pressing F10 when your booting up usually lets you into the BIOS. the change needed should be easy to figure out.

maybe others have some more answers..

HailAntonLaVey
11-20-2004, 01:42 AM
memory should plug-n-play. just be sure to power off and unplug your PC first. then ground your self by touching the chassis. that's it. it should automatically be recognized. you may even see the change on-screen when booting up.

about your video card, $100 will get you a card that will satisfy most people. look for DDR-type memory, the more the better. CPU clock speed is negligible(unless your a hardcore gamer), TV out is a plus. some cards have TV tuners, usually more expensive tho.

you may have to disable your existing on-board video. either with a jumper physically located on your motherboard or in your systems BIOS(basic input/output system). pressing F10 when your booting up usually lets you into the BIOS. the change needed should be easy to figure out.

maybe others have some more answers..

Im glad im not the only one who knows this.Scared the fuck out me for a moment,yes all of what he stated is in fact true.I suggest a ATI card,as Nvidia is just shit for 100.The fx family isnt lovely.About any problems that may occur,be sure to "snap" the card in.Many people dont seat the card in all the way,causing many to claim "broken card" too soon.One other problem may be fast write,just throwing that in for user info.Other then that,a ATI card shouldnt have any problems.I suggest a 9200 to 9550 for your graphics.Good balance of quality and speed for low end users.Tell then adieu

[Spam]
11-20-2004, 02:13 AM
Would a ATI Radeon 9200-9550 get good framerates for Call of Duty?

tesco
11-20-2004, 02:20 AM
my geforce fx5200, very cheap now, isn't too bad.

for newer games like call of duty and more coming out soon you might want a better card than the 9200.
oh and dont get the 9200 because it doesn't support directx 9.

HailAntonLaVey
11-20-2004, 02:25 AM
my geforce fx5200, very cheap now, isn't too bad.

for newer games like call of duty and more coming out soon you might want a better card than the 9200.
oh and dont get the 9200 because it doesn't support directx 9.I LOVE YOU TOO,Another sad victim to Nvidia.Its always fun until its someone you know.Yes the 9200 and 9550 will get far better frames then 52fx famly.I would have to say its fairly smooth tell you get graphic intense frames with lots of lighting and shading.Tell then adieu

P.S.9200 does support D9,yet its built on a D8.1 core with D9 support.

tesco
11-20-2004, 02:34 AM
I LOVE YOU TOO,Another sad victim to Nvidia.Its always fun until its someone you know.Yes the 9200 and 9550 will get far better frames then 52fx famly.I would have to say its fairly smooth tell you get graphic intense frames with lots of lighting and shading.Tell then adieu

P.S.9200 does support D9,yet its built on a D8.1 core with D9 support.
5200 isn't that bad.
and why are you calling me a "victim of nvidia?"
nvidia have made many great cards. they aren't a bad company.
and i got this card for free from my aunt anyway. :D

[Spam]
11-20-2004, 06:00 AM

I just looked in the BIOS and there is no option to disable onboard video. However there are options to disable the onboard modem, lan, etc...

Smurfette
11-20-2004, 09:28 AM
As far as gfx cards go, get the best you can afford but bear in mind a couple of things.
- ATI cards are faster
- nVidia are well known for making drivers that work fine for 99% of people straight off the bat, while ATI are renowned for makng drivers that need a little tweaking and sometimes just don't work well for people.
Personally I'd go for an ATI and worry about sorting out crap later. ;)
Right now I have a GF4 BTW.

Virtualbody1234
11-20-2004, 12:42 PM
']I just looked in the BIOS and there is no option to disable onboard video. However there are options to disable the onboard modem, lan, etc...
Wouldn't telling us the motherboard model let us in on your secret?

You ask for help but leave that information out. :wacko:

tesco
11-20-2004, 03:50 PM
As far as gfx cards go, get the best you can afford but bear in mind a couple of things.
- ATI cards are faster
- nVidia are well known for making drivers that work fine for 99% of people straight off the bat, while ATI are renowned for makng drivers that need a little tweaking and sometimes just don't work well for people.
Personally I'd go for an ATI and worry about sorting out crap later. ;)
Right now I have a GF4 BTW.
not in all cases. some of the price equivlent nvidia cards are just as fast or faster than ati's cards. it really just depends which you're buying.

harrycary
11-20-2004, 06:45 PM
for the record, nvidia doesn't make cards (or CPUs), they design the architecture of the processor(s). you'll see nvidia in the name or on the label 'cause the card manufacturers are obligated to due so under their licensing agreement.

if you don't find any setting for disabling your onboard video at may not be neccessary to do so. plug in your graphics card and go from there. go to your mobo mfg website first if it doesn't work.

[Spam]
11-20-2004, 10:01 PM
Wouldn't telling us the motherboard model let us in on your secret?

You ask for help but leave that information out. :wacko:

Intel 82845G

[Spam]
11-21-2004, 10:54 PM
Well, I just opened up the case a couple minutes ago and I was shocked to see that there is no AGP slot. Damn store bought PC's. I'm building my own next time.

I might go with a PCI video card. And do video cards need a power source from the power supply?

One last thing, I noticed that there are many types or RAM. There is ECC/Registered and non-ECC/Registered RAM. Can these 2 type be mixed? I don't have any idea what kind of RAM is in my computer right now besides the fact that it's 256MB DDR266 SDRAM (PC2100).

[Spam]
11-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Ignore this post.

[Spam]
11-23-2004, 04:29 AM
What do you guys think of the Radeon 9200SE PCI with 128MB DDR RAM?

lynx
11-23-2004, 09:18 AM
If you want Direct9x then I would strongly advise against getting that card, it does NOT support it. See the Manufacturer's Specifications (http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9200/radeon9200/specs.html) if you are in any doubt.

Just for clarification, my FX5200 copes with directx9 games very nicely. Of course it isn't super fast, so I have to turn down the graphics quality, but what the heck, I'm playing a game not watching a high quality movie.

I've had a look around, I haven't seen any higher spec ATI pci cards, maybe because directx9 requires higher video rates that thay can't achieve on a pci bus. That really leaves you with one of the many FX5200 cards, or for a little more possibly the FX5700, such as this. (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=14-140-041&depa=0)

Cards of the spec you are talking about do not have extra power requirements.

Download Aida32 to get more info on your motherboard/memory.

[Spam]
11-26-2004, 02:39 AM
What do you mean by the fact that the 9200 doesn't support DirextX 9?

I play Call of Duty: United Offensive regulary and it's system requirements says that a DirextX 9 compatible graphics adaptor is required. I highly doubt that my integrated video (Intel "Extreme" Graphics - 845G) supports DirectX 9. I only have DirectX 9 installed on my PC, that's all. So why am I able to play Call of Duty?