PDA

View Full Version : SATA hd problem

jonathan_tijuana
11-20-2004, 01:45 AM
I am trying to install a western digital sata hd but the pc does not recognize it and myt motherboard supports sata. anyone knows what can i do to make the system recognize it, the hd is oem so i dont have the manual.

HailAntonLaVey
11-20-2004, 02:04 AM
how big is the drive,any drive over 132Gbs requires a support card to handle the size.The default size on most motherboards is 130,therefore you may need that add in card to support the high volume.Not to mention did you get the proper speed for the serial supported on your board.Tell then adieu

jonathan_tijuana
11-20-2004, 02:08 AM
The hd is 200 gb and yes the board supports it, whats the name of the card i need to add?

HailAntonLaVey
11-20-2004, 02:12 AM
oo a 200gb drive will need a add in card,contact the maker of the drive before i give out any suggestions.Some cards arent compatable with certain drives.Sorry about that,yet if i knew more i could help.Tell then adieu

jonathan_tijuana
11-20-2004, 02:18 AM
Thanks

HailAntonLaVey
11-20-2004, 02:20 AM
I know im that fucking amazing,i love me too.Tell then adieu

tesco
11-20-2004, 02:25 AM
uhh, what? any motherboard that supports sata will easily support a 137gb+ hard drive.
200 will be fine.

make sure first that the motherboard is detecting the drive by looking in the BIOS.

after making sure of that boot into windows. right click my computer>manage>click device manager on the left side>find your sata controller and make sure it doesn't have a ! or a ? next to it (they mean there is a conflict\problem with, or no drivers.
If therre is a problem then you will most liekly need to install your sata drivers from your motherboard CD or search your manufacturer's website for the latest ones to download.

now in that same windows click disk management on the left side>cclick your bew drive on teh list (at the bottom) and right click unpartitioned space and click partition. Make the partitions any size you wish.
then format and you're done. :)

oh btw, if you're using windows XP then you will need sp1 or sp2. the original windows xp, and all other windows versions, only support partitions of size up to 137gb.
you can just split the drive up into 2 or more partitions of less than 137gb and you'll be fine. :) (if you're using something other than windows xp sp1\sp2)