PDA

View Full Version : Some kind of alternative to Protowall?

SingaBoiy
11-20-2004, 09:40 AM
I cant get the damn thing installed right. I followed the instruction here:
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/modules.php?name=FAQ&myfaq=yes&id_cat=1&categories=ProtoWall+FAQ

2 or 3 times and it still doesnt work. Anyone have a good alternative?

Hairbautt
11-20-2004, 11:22 AM
Me too. I always get the "Protowall.sys is not loaded. Install the driver & reload the application."

I did do it! But the thing isn't workin. So yeah, I second that above poster^. :helpsmili

ObiWan
11-20-2004, 12:38 PM
you could try peerguaridian

http://methlabs.org/

baccyman
11-20-2004, 03:21 PM
to install the driver for protowall you need to look under how to use protowall then look under install the driver there is a walk through on how to install it .

http://www.bluetack.co.uk/pwhelp/

tesco
11-20-2004, 03:46 PM
yup everyone has problems installing it.

i think i folllowed something on the page baccyman posted. :)

Rizindon
11-20-2004, 08:55 PM
ive tried that but no good ......

zapjb
11-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Same here could'nt get the fn thing to work. F them. They say it works (installs that is), I don't believe it. Followed all the walk throughs. Same shit. It's bs imo.

tesco
11-20-2004, 10:56 PM
:lol: i just noticed in my network protocalls i can isntall protowall so i did and it still works. :lol:

and i dont even have it installed. :unsure:

Sudden
11-20-2004, 11:06 PM
If you follow the walk thru for protowall
You will find that you have a driver installed in
Local Area Network
And it needs to be ticked to work
or untick to disable it.

That is usually the problem with Protowall not working

sebastian_insua
11-21-2004, 06:14 PM
With me it never wants to download the rules/blocked ip ranges does anyone know how I can download them manually and which ones i should use that will not fuck up my normal browsing usage?
Also is it possible to only run protowall when you are using a filesharing program or want to appear more anonymous?

Sudden
11-22-2004, 10:09 AM
With me it never wants to download the rules/blocked ip ranges does anyone know how I can download them manually and which ones i should use that will not fuck up my normal browsing usage?
Also is it possible to only run protowall when you are using a filesharing program or want to appear more anonymous?Open Protowall-Go to the W in the left hand corner

Left click/About/Protowall on the web/check for IPDB Updates/click it.

If there are any updates it will start downloading them/
If no updates you will see a (i) in your protowall
saying you are up to date.

Once you have downloaded the update

Open Protowall-Go to the W in the left hand corner

Left click/file/load IP Table/ipfilter.p2p/Double left click it to load.

Some times you will have to search for it manually

Left click/file/load IP Table

My computer/c drive(if this is where you load your programs)/
program files/Dudez/protowall/ipfilter.p2p/Double left click it to load.

Then press start.

You use Protowall when you are using a filesharing program.

baccyman
11-22-2004, 04:14 PM
i have got a quick link on my task bar that way you can start it when you want and i always have it active when using a p2p app. to make a quick link just drag the icon on your desktop down to the task bar then release it there and you will have your quick link.

hackattack142
11-23-2004, 04:08 PM
It is untrue that everyone has problems installing PW. Yes it can be a little difficult an d frustrating at times but i assure you that it works. I dont think i have had any real installation problems since i have been using it. It does still have a lot of problems with it and we are aware of that and are working on it. Most solutions can be found it the FAQ. There are other things that can cause problems also. There are known unsupported NICs out there. The unsupported NIC drivers were made in such a way that they can not keep up with PW. If you have looked through the Tech Support section of Bluetack, the next best place to check would be the IRC channel. There are people there that can help install it step by step and help get it working. As for the automatic updating, i would recommend turning it off. It can cause more harm than good. We are recoding that to be more robust. If a list happens to be unavailable for any reason and PW tries to update, it has been known to replace your good blocklist file with a incomplete or empty one. The most customizable method of getting the lists is using the Blocklist Manager. It will allow you to select from different sources and get the lists you want. You can then merge them all together from there and even choose any exclusions/inclusions you may have and export it to a supported program. If you have further problems getting things to work correctly, you should post in the Bluetack forums or stop by the IRC channel and you can get help from there.

G2k1boy
11-24-2004, 12:08 AM
you can use blocklist manager to get new IP ranges, i love that program