PDA

View Full Version : LAN problem

Aurora
11-21-2004, 09:53 PM
Hi!

I have a LAN and one computer doesn’t have an access to the network and also other computers can’t access that one. It sais it doesn’t have a permission.

I done all I know:
-File and Print sharing
-HD sharing
-It has legitimate name and it is in right network group
-Firewall is not on

Please give me some more suggestions.
I looked in help and didn’t find any helpfull answer.

Comupter can go on Internet, and ping works with other computers, telnet doesn’t. There is also no server on the network. I use XP

Really important, because I need printing.

Thanks!

tesco
11-21-2004, 09:58 PM
is it Windows XP? Run the Network Setup Wizard.

Aurora
11-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Did that! Frist thing!

I did lot more than I wrote... can't remeber it all.

But please keep advising, maybe solution is somewhere in there.

I had this problem before, never fixed it the same way, and offcoarse nothing that previously worked, is working now!

Yes it is Widows XP Professional.

Izagaia
11-22-2004, 09:01 PM
If your system's admin account's folders are set to "private", you may be experiencing your problems there.

Aurora
11-24-2004, 10:31 PM
If your system's admin account's folders are set to "private", you may be experiencing your problems there.

Hmmm, how do I change that? Aproximately?

I did open an admin account and it didn't ask me for souch an option.

Aurora
11-24-2004, 10:36 PM
I just looked at the account type, and it doesn't have private, it just sais Computer administrator,and I don't have an option to change that. Also that is the only account I have on that computer.

Aurora
11-25-2004, 08:13 PM
Oh! Come on guys! Please :helpsmili

vivitron 15
11-25-2004, 09:04 PM
do other pcs have firewalls setup?

do they connect through a router or through LAN to a hub to the pc with inet?

Aurora
11-25-2004, 10:51 PM
None of the PCs have firewall.

Connection to router, router to switch, PCs to switch. No extra security, and all PCs are the same, no server or anything.

All copmuters are equal, and only this one doesn't work! :wacko:

vivitron 15
11-25-2004, 11:03 PM
is the router configged properly? check that it is set to "use as dhcp server" and that there is a sufficiently large range of IPs

have you tried the universal big hammer method?

Izagaia
11-25-2004, 11:43 PM
I just looked at the account type, and it doesn't have private, it just sais Computer administrator,and I don't have an option to change that. Also that is the only account I have on that computer.

Typically when using any XP account that has a password enabled/required for logging on, during that first time the password was created, the option for making that account's folders "private" is presented.

If you wish to double-check if any of the accounts on any of your systems has this option enabled, simply go to:

C:\Documents and Settings\[user account name]

Right-click that account's folder and choose "properties". Go to the "Sharing" tab and check to make certain that the "private" box is not checked. While you are there you can also make certain that sharing is enabled over your network in the box below.

Aurora
11-26-2004, 02:42 PM
vivitron 15 : The router is fine, problem is not going on the internet, it is connecting to other computers in LAN and sharing a printer. Computers have same configuration (except local IP numbers and names), so if there is a problem in switch or router, none of the computers will be able to connect. I have six computers and only one have a problem. In my case router is just border between my LAN (as a whole) and ISP. Maybe I forgot to tell you that I have that router for four years, nothing chaged since then, and that on the computer that doesn't work I reinstalled the XP, it was working fine before that.

Izagaia : I'm not in town right now, so I'll check it on Sunday and tell you what I've found. I hope it works.

Aurora
11-26-2004, 07:12 PM
Missed my bus, I had time to check it out.

No man! First there is no user name (maybe cause there is only one admin account). I checked HDs and that option if off, fully shared is on!

Deam the Microsoft:angry: There is no same solution for the same problem!

Uh, any other ideas?:crying:

Samurai
11-26-2004, 07:39 PM
I have the same problem, but a friend of mine is looking into it as I write this. I've actually gone as far as to receive error 53 messages. I'll keep you apprised.

Aurora
11-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Sounds good Samurai! :01:

numba1xclusive
11-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Hmm....have u installed the Protocol and stuff that is there? Cuz I had the same problem, I had done the network setup wizard thing, but I realized I hadnt done the protocol and stuff. If u wanna find that menu, right click on ur network connection, and then go to properties, and install it..

Aurora
11-28-2004, 10:06 PM
Hmm....have u installed the Protocol and stuff that is there? Cuz I had the same problem, I had done the network setup wizard thing, but I realized I hadnt done the protocol and stuff. If u wanna find that menu, right click on ur network connection, and then go to properties, and install it..
I have TCP/IP protocol installed. And you are right, some computers (I think 98) need extra protocol...that has NIC card in the name. I checked that out, it has some extra protocols, but non match.
I installed NWLink ipx/spx/netBios Compatible transport protocol. Didn't do anything.
I think XP needs only TCP/IP protocol.

Tell me which one you installed and what system do you use? So I can compare.

Aurora
11-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Hey Samurai!

Managed to fix your prolem yet?

Aurora
11-30-2004, 04:24 PM
Come on guys!:crying: Please don't tell me this is it!:no:

Samurai did you do something with your problem?

:helpsmili :helpsmili :helpsmili :helpsmili :helpsmili

vivitron 15
11-30-2004, 05:18 PM
have u tried a reinstall of XP?

and try this: go to each PC, and ping wach of the others and the router. make sure each can see all the others. if theres a problem with the actual network, then this will show it up - if its software, then this wont show it.

Samurai
11-30-2004, 06:45 PM
Aurora,

ok my friend managed to get it working on his pc, but not on mine.

however i did manage to find a way around it, although not ideal and i won't be using it myself.

firstly, instead of double-clicking the other computer's icon from your pc, go to an address bar in one of your folders and type:

\\JIM\My Music\

Where JIM* is the computer name and My Music* is a shared folder. I can now view PC 2's documents and alter them if neccessary.

I really hate Windows XP sometimes, and this is it's biggest flaw. It's meant to be stable and secure, and it's meant to be easier than any other OS in setting up a LAN, but yet it can't do it.

My Aunt's BF is a network engineer and even he said he was at a loss for words. He said "It should definately be working. All the settings are fine".

I'm just hoping the next copy of WinBlows will have this feature improved upon.

Hope this helps, Samurai

ilw
11-30-2004, 06:56 PM
In windows explorer goto tools -> folder options -> view ->
right at the bottom enable simple file sharing. I think you then have to reboot.

If that doesn't work you could try installing netbeui

from home net help
Windows XP Note: NetBEUI is no longer installed on your hard drive by default. To proceed with this tutorial, you will need to copy the following files from your XP CD on to your hard drive
#1) copy nbf.sys into the %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ directory
#2) copy netnbf.inf into the %SYSTEMROOT%\INF\ direct

Aurora
11-30-2004, 09:46 PM
In windows explorer goto tools -> folder options -> view ->
right at the bottom enable simple file sharing. I think you then have to reboot.

If that doesn't work you could try installing netbeui

Hmm... Interesting. I'll try that tomorrow (at home right now).

Samurai, I'll try your sugesstion too, but does it include printer sharing?

Can't wait to see what happends!!!:w00t:

Aurora
12-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Ilw

I can’t find this folder SYSTEMROOT.

Can you please write me down the whole address.

Start – run – explorer - ???

Please

Thanks

tesco
12-01-2004, 11:18 PM
%SYSTEMROOT% just means the folder where the windows files are...
usually it is C:\windows\ :)

Afronaut
12-01-2004, 11:18 PM
%SYSTEMROOT% is the same where your windows is installed.

Usually it is C:/Windows

If your windows is installed on that default directory, then the path is:

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ directory

Aurora
12-02-2004, 01:55 PM
O.K. Thouht so, but wasn't shure.

I don't have /directory folder. Should I make one? And in Drivers I don't have those two thing that you mention.
So I gues that might be a problem.

So what should I do? create /directory folder, and i there copy those two things, or just copy them in /drivers folder?

ilw
12-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Just do:
#1) copy nbf.sys into the %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\
#2) copy netnbf.inf into the %SYSTEMROOT%\INF\

don't create any directories.

Theres more info and tutorials here (http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp)

Aurora
12-03-2004, 01:18 AM
o.k.

I'll try it tomorrow. I'll let you know if it works :w00t:

tesco
12-03-2004, 01:24 AM
O.K. Thouht so, but wasn't shure.

I don't have /directory folder. Should I make one? And in Drivers I don't have those two thing that you mention.
So I gues that might be a problem.

So what should I do? create /directory folder, and i there copy those two things, or just copy them in /drivers folder?
no /directory isn't a folder.

he was just saying this:
The "C:\windows\system32\driver\" directory :P

peat moss
12-03-2004, 02:15 AM
Amazing how someone elses computer problems, are a lot more interesting than my own! :)

Aurora
12-05-2004, 05:02 AM
O.K. Rossco :D

I just got back from trip, I'll try it tomorrow.

I so hope it works!!!

Aurora
12-06-2004, 10:39 PM
O.K.

I coppied NBF.SYS, but I can't find INF folder, not in windows, not in systems/32. So it still doesn't work :frusty: , but I haven't finished.

Could INF folder have a different name, like IME(the only one I have)???

Aurora
12-08-2004, 12:46 AM
Please someone answer :sad1:

vivitron 15
12-08-2004, 10:55 AM
have u tried a reinstall of XP?

and try this: go to each PC, and ping wach of the others and the router. make sure each can see all the others. if theres a problem with the actual network, then this will show it up - if its software, then this wont show it.
:)

Aurora
12-10-2004, 01:56 PM
:)
Well, the problem appeared after reinstallment of XP.
Ping works on: all comuters except one, router and 127.0.0.1
Telnet doesn't work, probably because computer is not autorized.

I will reinstall Xp again if I don't fix the problem soon, but I really don't want to do that :no: Plus I will learn something if I manage to fix it!

vivitron 15
12-10-2004, 01:59 PM
surely you've learnt something already?

linux :P

Ariel_001
12-10-2004, 05:58 PM
Ok... you know all this just sounds like a permission problem.. If you trying to share something try adding a user/computer in the security tab of what ever you are sharing.. You may need to turn off simple sharing for this...

http://img90.exs.cx/img90/4880/cvfdfdsfd3nn.jpg

Aurora
12-20-2004, 11:20 PM
O.K.
I'll try that tomorrow!
Is that where you enable firewall for LAN connection?
I gues I'll find it.
Thanks

Samurai
12-20-2004, 11:27 PM
Interesting. I never found that 'Temp Properties' box when I had this problem a while back. How do I locate it?

vivitron 15
12-20-2004, 11:29 PM
lol, tomorrow its this problem's 1 month anniversary :)

Aurora
12-21-2004, 04:39 PM
I know!!! :frusty:

It's my fault. I had exams lately so didn't have that much time. Now I'm on vacation :D

Aurora
12-21-2004, 10:09 PM
Ok... you know all this just sounds like a permission problem.. If you trying to share something try adding a user/computer in the security tab of what ever you are sharing.. You may need to turn off simple sharing for this...

http://img90.exs.cx/img90/4880/cvfdfdsfd3nn.jpg

Ariel!
Where do we find this? I looked... but can't find it.

And I think you are right, it does sais that computer doesn't have permission to access the network, and on other computers that they don't have permission to access that computer.

I wanted to try what you suggested, but can't find it :wacko:

Aurora
12-23-2004, 11:24 PM
I looked in Windows help and they also mention Security tab when you go in properties for particular file or folder. The thing is it is not where they say it is!!! There is sharing, of coarse, but nothing there that remotely looks like the picture you have posted!

So where is it?

Wolfmight
12-23-2004, 11:35 PM
Might try refreshing the LAN

Aurora
12-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Might try refreshing the LAN

That sounds like a great idea, everything is falling apart!!!

How do I do that?

Aurora
02-16-2005, 09:13 PM
Hi Everybody!
Just to tell you that I found where the problem was. It was PC-Cillin, I needed to create the list of trusted IP addresses.

Thenk you all for the help and time!
Big Kiss

vivitron 15
02-16-2005, 09:38 PM
lol - im glad it all worked out...all that playing with networks and crap, and it was that all along!

nm, its going now at least :D

peat moss
02-17-2005, 12:17 AM
lol - im glad it all worked out...all that playing with networks and crap, and it was that all along!

nm, its going now at least :D

Its nice to see someone posting their fix too! Instead of wondering what happened . Thank you Aurora. :)