PDA

View Full Version : Animals, do they know why?

dwightfry
11-26-2004, 08:19 PM
When my cat bites my arm, and tap it on the nose. When I see he is about to bite my arm, I raise my hand. His ears go back and sometimes he bites my arm, and sometimes he backs off.

My question

Does he know that if he bites my arm, he also gets hit.
or
Does he know that he is getting hit because he is biting my arm

NikkiD
11-26-2004, 08:22 PM
I wish I knew the answer to that one, my cats will climb up on the table, and I spray water at their butts when they do. They will jump down, lick off the water, and then do it again. If I don't notice right away, they'll meow to announce that they're on the table. I think the male actually likes being sprayed, as he now will just sit and take it until I pick him up and put him on the floor. :rolleyes:

zedaxax
11-26-2004, 08:31 PM
I am dog lover
and regard kicking cats
as the only solution to any thing that looks likea cat

I read somewhere that cats like fish
so
do you look like a fish since your cat likes to eat you?

vidcc
11-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Cats are hard to train, it would be easier if you learnt when not to put your arm near

Biggles
11-26-2004, 11:37 PM
I read somewhere that dogs are part of the pack and you are the pack leader whereas cats tend to consider you as their human. This approach to cat psychology explains why they are difficult to train and why they looked peeved if you attempt it.

Barbarossa
11-29-2004, 09:28 AM
I don't think either is true. I don't think a cat has a fucking clue about cause and effect, I also think this is true:

A newly discovered chapter in the Book of Genesis has provided the answer to the question "Where do dogs and cats come from?"

1. Adam said, "Lord, when I was in the Garden, you walked with me every day. Now I do not see you anymore. I am lonesome here and it is difficult for me to remember how much you love me."

2. And God said, "No problem! I will create a companion for you that will be with you forever and who will be a reflection of my love for you, so that you will love me even when you cannot see me. Regardless of how selfish or childish or unlovable you may be, this new companion will accept you as you are and will love you in spite of yourself."

3. And God created a new animal to be a companion for Adam. And it was a good animal. And God was pleased. And the new animal was pleased to be with Adam and he wagged his tail.

4. And Adam said, "Lord, I have already named all the animals in the Kingdom and I cannot think of a name for this new animal." And God said, "No problem! Because I have created this new animal to be a reflection of my love for you, his name will be a reflection of my own name, and you will call him DOG."

5. And Dog lived with Adam and was a companion to him and loved him. And Adam was comforted. And God was pleased. And Dog was content and wagged his tail.

6. After a while, it came to pass that an angel came to the Lord and said, "Lord, Adam has become filled with pride. He struts and preens like a peacock and he believes he is worthy of adoration. Dog has indeed taught him that he is loved, but perhaps too well."

7. And the Lord said, "No problem! I will create a companion for him who will be with him forever and who will see him as he is. The companion will remind him of his limitations, so he will know that he is not always worthy of adoration." And God created CAT to be a companion to Adam.

8. And Cat would not obey Adam. And when Adam gazed into Cat's eyes, he was reminded that he was not the supreme being. And Adam learned humility. And God was pleased. And Adam was greatly improved. And Dog was happy. And Cat didn't give a shit one way or the other.

brenda
12-23-2004, 12:55 AM
Cats know when they are being naughty they just don't really care. They respond much better if you TEACH them rather than TRAIN them.

Biting is a form of play, if a cat has been seperated from its mother and siblings at too young an age it will not have learnt the limits of 'play' and you will have to teach him yourself. By drawing away or striking back when he bits your arm you are continuing the 'play', what you need to do is ignore him, he will get bored when he gets no reaction from biting.

You also need to spend at least 20 minutes twice a day playing with a cat because they are such curious creatures that they will go and find their own fun otherwise, and it will usually involve knocking things off shelves.

dwightfry
12-24-2004, 05:52 PM
...and it will usually involve knocking things off shelves.

:lol: Oh, I know...I know all too well.

dwightfry
12-24-2004, 05:57 PM
A newly discovered chapter in the Book of Genesis has provided the answer to the question "Where do dogs and cats come from..."

...And Cat would not obey Adam. And when Adam gazed into Cat's eyes, he was reminded that he was not the supreme being. And Adam learned humility. And God was pleased. And Adam was greatly improved. And Dog was happy. And Cat didn't give a shit one way or the other.

That was pretty interesting. Seems real enough for me. ;)

DanB
12-24-2004, 06:04 PM
Have you seen/heard Eddie Izzard's skit about cats? :unsure:

dwightfry
12-24-2004, 06:35 PM
I might have, but I don't remember.

Samurai
12-24-2004, 06:36 PM
I only have to tell my cat "NO" and she knows whatever it is she's doing, is not allowed. My cat is really intelligent, and I love her to pieces :)

Skiz
12-25-2004, 02:25 PM
BECAUSE

It's a simple cause and effect relationship. If the animal does _____, then ______ happens.

backlash
12-26-2004, 02:14 PM
it will usually involve knocking things off shelves.

yep. I know that well, too! Had to take down the xmas cards today since I was tired of having them be knocked over. They know when they are doing things wrong - one listens, the other doesn't care so much and will meow back at me when I say NO. make it so hard to be mad at them, don't they?

Snee
12-26-2004, 07:04 PM
I don't hit them or spray 'em with water when they bite, I just push.

If they wanna bite my hand I'll make sure they have a lot of hand to bite. Gets a bit uncomfortable I reckon.
Seems to work.

I kinda' think the distinction between the two options is irrelevant. What the cat registers is that the action entails something displeasureable, and thus he or she won't do it.

I don't think they can make the distinction between causuality and parallel events. All they see is the link, not sure appreciation of linear time is a factor in their lives the same way it is for us.

TheDave
12-26-2004, 07:14 PM
the cat bites your arm cos it never learns. cats also suck.