PDA

View Full Version : Ok I'm curious

Jon L. Obscene
11-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Having read a bit more here and there about people saying they prefer the old IPB board etc.

I'm wondering, those of you who don't like this board........what is it about it you don't like?

Jonno :cool:

DanB
11-30-2004, 12:08 PM
curiousity killed the cat

Jon L. Obscene
11-30-2004, 12:09 PM
What spelling? :unsure:

I am more concerned with content over presentation tho'.

Agreed, I guess some people don't go to their favourite pub anymore cos they don't like the colour.

@Dan...... So it might have done, but I ain't a cat ;)

Afronaut
11-30-2004, 12:10 PM
Well, Im here for the members.

We still have a few interesting personas here.
:)

For the board software, it's not big deal for me.
I think a bigger issue would be "how to lure Admins to do something"
:lol:

All tho IKE is doing a lot here but he dont have all the access etc.
Thanks IKE.

Plus, we've come a long way from when we got the VB soft.
I thinka board is sort of a living thing, things change as we go.

:cool2:

Lilmiss
11-30-2004, 12:11 PM
I suppose it's ok.

Just miffed we didn't loose you in the move. :dry:

:shifty:

Afronaut
11-30-2004, 12:11 PM
I suppose it's ok.

Just miffed we didn't loose you in the move. :dry:

:shifty:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

DanB
11-30-2004, 12:15 PM
@Dan...... So it might have done, but I ain't a cat ;)

Rumour has it you're a bit of a pussy though :P

Jon L. Obscene
11-30-2004, 12:20 PM
@lilmiss.........I will be looking for my smacky hammer for that comment :dry: :crying:

@Afro.... Yup, you just about summed it up :)
How do you mean Ike does'nt have full access? You mean he does'nt have access to the fp to change permissions etc? therefore limiting him to what he can do concerning permission changes etc?

@Dan...... If the milk turns out to be sour.....I ain't the kind of pussy to drink it....nah what I mean? :D

Lilmiss
11-30-2004, 12:27 PM
@lilmiss.........I will be looking for my smacky hammer for that comment

I'm not scared of you....pussy. http://hometown.aol.co.uk/Lynne1977uk/whap.gif

:D

Vargas
11-30-2004, 12:28 PM
If the milk turns out to be sour.....I ain't the kind of pussy to drink it...
A few nights ago Rory's Roger iron rusted, so he has gone to the
battle-cruiser to watch the end of a football game. Nobody is watching
the custard so he has turned the channel over. A fat man's north opens
and he wanders up and turns the Liza over. `Now fuck off and watch it
somewhere else.' Rory knows claret is imminent, but he doesn't want to
miss the end of the game; so, calm as a coma, he stands and picks up a
fire extinguisher and he walks straight past the jam rolls who are
ready for action, then he plonks it outside the entrance. He then
orders an Aristotle of the most ping pong oddly in the nuclear sub and
switches back to his footer. `That's fucking it,' says the man. Rory
gobs out a mouthful of booze covering fatty; he flicks a flaming match
into his bird's nest and the man lit up like a leaking gas pipe. Rory,
unfazed, turned back to watch his game. The flaming man and his chinos
ran outside to extinguish the flames, and Rory cheered on. His team won
too, four-nil.
:huh:

DanB
11-30-2004, 12:28 PM
You've turned into Rory Breaker? :ohmy:

Afronaut
11-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Yes Jonno.
If I've read right, IKE dont have the eccess to FTP to do changes.
And I also remember him being not interested to do some changes either
due to the lynch mob attitude here, or something similar probably with
milder words...

Jon L. Obscene
11-30-2004, 12:32 PM
@Vargas...... Did you just watch the film to get that or did you just remember it?.....Well?......Don't just stand there with that "What's goin on" look slapped all over your chevy chase :dry:

@Afro.... Ah I see, pffft, bollox to the "Lynch mob attitude" , like I said elsewhere, if people don't like it they can piss off elsewhere :01:

@lilmiss.......That's cheating, I wanna whacky stick :crying:

@Dan......No, he's turned into Danny John Jules :cool:

DanB
11-30-2004, 12:34 PM
And judging by the ghost town this place is at points I think alot have probably taken your advice Jonno

Vargas
11-30-2004, 12:38 PM
@Vargas...... Did you just watch the film to get that or did you just remember it?.....Well?......Don't just stand there with that "What's goin on" look slapped all over your chevy chase :dry:
i googled it
http://scifiscripts.name2host.com/msol/lockstock_screenplay.txt

Jon L. Obscene
11-30-2004, 12:38 PM
Good, at least new members wont see them moaning :01:

Has anyone actually stopped and thought about the fact that it's nearly xmas and people are working overtime for the extra cash or doing shopping and other stuff to do with xmas?
You know it's a busy time of year for a lot of people.

DanB
11-30-2004, 01:51 PM
New members :lol:

Cheese
11-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Good, at least new members wont see them moaning :01:

Has anyone actually stopped and thought about the fact that it's nearly xmas and people are working overtime for the extra cash or doing shopping and other stuff to do with xmas?
You know it's a busy time of year for a lot of people.

They (the admin) told us that it would get busy during the winter. They said that during the summer months people go outdoors and stuff (I have no idea what one does outdoors), so which is it? :unsure:

Are we going to get bust from January to April and thats it?

Jon L. Obscene
11-30-2004, 06:53 PM
You been about forums long enough, you know when it's busy and when it's not.

The original question was why don't you like it, is that why? because you think the Admin are doing something wrong?

Cheese
11-30-2004, 07:08 PM

The original question was why don't you like it, is that why? because you think the Admin are doing something wrong?

The admin aren't doing anything wrong.

They aren't doing anything.

Mr. Mulder
11-30-2004, 07:10 PM
The move was a bit iffy to begin with because it was sort of forced, but now I prefer it to the old place - things also seem more interesting and lively now

Jon L. Obscene
11-30-2004, 07:10 PM
@Cheese... And that's what you don't like about VB?

Or thats what you don't like about Filesharingtalk forums?

Cheese
11-30-2004, 07:17 PM
@Cheese... And that's what you don't like about VB?

Or thats what you don't like about Filesharingtalk forums?

Jonno

VB is crap. It's a shitty interface, looks ugly and feels ugly.

The reason we moved was supposedly Krohn would be putting in new things to make the forum better (remember the Arcade for instance) but since we made the move we've had nothing.

There are still bugs in the software we're using, we have no new skins, the front page doesn't work for most normal people, and the list goes on.

IPB is superior for forum software and always will be, I don't mind it here so much but I don't like VB and never will.

It sucks!!!111

And it sucks even more because of the neglect by the admin.

Jon L. Obscene
11-30-2004, 07:22 PM
Fair comment, yeah I agree, IPB is much better software also easier to work on.
But the VB base once all the bugs are gone will be far supierior in many ways to IPB, the new ipb v2 imo is horrendous, that annoying scroller and crap like that.
The VB has more options in security, privacy and layout.

Thats a logical answer, I personally prefer IPB v1.3

Unfortunately as you say there are still bugs with this vb, and as you correctly pointed out there are things need doing by the admin, unfortunately the 2 who seem to have the ftp access don't feel like doing it.

Afronaut
11-30-2004, 07:22 PM
Oh, if I remember right we moved to VB as the old forums went tits up.
It was thought to start from the VB which was basically just in some sorta Beta Testing state.
Hence we got the "Warm Welcome" to the new board.

Jon L. Obscene
11-30-2004, 07:23 PM
Yeah the old forums fowl up with the posts etc, still say it was crap, don't see how it could happen, but I guess the truth will come out in 40 years like JFK.

Afronaut
11-30-2004, 07:28 PM
Yeah.

/tin foil hat

Jon L. Obscene
11-30-2004, 07:29 PM
:ph34r: I got mine from Argos :cool:

hobbes
11-30-2004, 07:53 PM
:01: skins, we need new skins :01:

No subject nor comment can ever carry my interest like a good "skin". Members are a dime a dozen, meaning that this forum has about 24-36 cents worth of members.

Skins are priceless.

WTF is a "skin" anyway :frusty:

Mr. Mulder
11-30-2004, 07:55 PM
:ph34r: I got mine from Argos :cool:

Chav http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/images/smilies/dry.gif

Yogi
12-01-2004, 01:57 PM
I love VB.

Yogi

NikkiD
12-01-2004, 04:56 PM

Yes, I know when it's busy and when it's not. When I first joined, 2 years ago, there were only a few thousand members, and it was close to Christmas, and it was busy. It was busy for pretty much the entire first year I was here, even with the server downtimes, speed issues we had, takeover attempts, and host changes. It started to slow down after we stopped developing versions of k-lite, and became filesharing talk instead of the k-lite board. The influx of new members traditionally came from that program with questions about it or people looking to download it. New versions were being developed without this site link on the start page, so we haven't the new traffic coming in that we did before.

Add to that that there were way too many forums here for a long time (still are to some extent), and new members didn't know where to post their questions. And new members viewing the board would look at all those forums, and see how slowly they were moving and figure that maybe they'd try to find a busier forum to find their answers more quickly. Or they'd post their question, and get a flaming response calling them a stupid n00b or something like it and decide to just forget it. The older established members, finding no questions to answer, and less activity, inevitably start moving on to busier forums.

That's why it's not as busy as it used to be. It has nothing to do with the time of year.

As for the board, no, I don't like the new software. It has a very unpolished look and feel to it - amateurish if you will. It looks out of date, boring, flat, and drab in comparison to the old IPB forum. I don't like having to cancel automatic message tracking every time I send a message, nor do I like that I have to untick the box so as not to save the message I'm sending. I cannot login invisible (not that I do, but would like the option), the user groups and rights have obviously not been fixed properly. I don't like the layout, when viewing a forum, with the poster's name directly below the thread title, if you click the thread title and are slightly off, you end up with a new window with the member's profile. I thank god that the IPB smilies have been transferred over, as the VB counterparts are hideous at best. Those are just a few things I can think of, offhand.

bujub22
12-01-2004, 05:10 PM
Yes, I know when it's busy and when it's not. When I first joined, 2 years ago, there were only a few thousand members, and it was close to Christmas, and it was busy. It was busy for pretty much the entire first year I was here, even with the server downtimes, speed issues we had, takeover attempts, and host changes. It started to slow down after we stopped developing versions of k-lite, and became filesharing talk instead of the k-lite board. The influx of new members traditionally came from that program with questions about it or people looking to download it. New versions were being developed without this site link on the start page, so we haven't the new traffic coming in that we did before.

Add to that that there were way too many forums here for a long time (still are to some extent), and new members didn't know where to post their questions. And new members viewing the board would look at all those forums, and see how slowly they were moving and figure that maybe they'd try to find a busier forum to find their answers more quickly. Or they'd post their question, and get a flaming response calling them a stupid n00b or something like it and decide to just forget it. The older established members, finding no questions to answer, and less activity, inevitably start moving on to busier forums.

That's why it's not as busy as it used to be. It has nothing to do with the time of year.

As for the board, no, I don't like the new software. It has a very unpolished look and feel to it - amateurish if you will. It looks out of date, boring, flat, and drab in comparison to the old IPB forum. I don't like having to cancel automatic message tracking every time I send a message, nor do I like that I have to untick the box so as not to save the message I'm sending. I cannot login invisible (not that I do, but would like the option), the user groups and rights have obviously not been fixed properly. I don't like the layout, when viewing a forum, with the poster's name directly below the thread title, if you click the thread title and are slightly off, you end up with a new window with the member's profile. I thank god that the IPB smilies have been transferred over, as the VB counterparts are hideous at best. Those are just a few things I can think of, offhand.
damn tell it like it is nikki ;)

manker
12-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Nice post, Nikki.

It seems a shame that altho' the common feeling among members is to go back to IPB if possible, the mods that share this opinion - and are quite vehement about it in some cases - are now Forum Stars.

[B][O][T], NikkiD and Rip The Jacker Spring to mind, VB1234 I'm not sure of and Jetje has never passed a comment on the matter that I'm aware of.

Maybe this is not such a coincidence but however it is looked at, I think we're stuck with VB.

DanB
12-01-2004, 05:28 PM
I don't think anyone that matters gives a shit really

By matters I mean can change us back or soup this up

Lilmiss
12-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Do you think there will be more freezing of accounts? :unsure:

conspiracy. :whistling

DanB
12-01-2004, 05:34 PM
I hope not. They did start again after 2.10 though :lol:

Lilmiss
12-01-2004, 05:45 PM

Does that mean you owe me a Mars bar?

DanB
12-01-2004, 05:50 PM

Does that mean you owe me a Mars bar?

Possibly, although I might need my memory refreshing as to why :ph34r:

Afronaut
12-01-2004, 05:53 PM
Im a rebel.

I go with the flow, sort of.

I dont really really mind if we stay on VB or go back to teh old stuff.

Its just dont seem so important to me, the board software, as for a lot of folks it seems.

I wouldnt mind a dark skin, whatever the software version we're on.