PDA

View Full Version : Service pack 2 for windows xp

coldnorth
12-02-2004, 02:27 AM
A friend ordered this off the MSN site and says it has helped a lot with pop-up, spyware, etc. Before I install it on my computer I was wondering if anyone here has used it and, if so, what you think of it?

Ariel_001
12-02-2004, 02:30 AM
Get it, it is good. You should download the service pack here (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en) and slipstream it with your windows xp setup cd, install from scrach..

Money Fist
12-02-2004, 02:31 AM
lots of crappy pop up like "make sure this is upto date"
and i lost framerate in a few games

so i kept with SP1 and just used antispyware tools intead

tesco
12-02-2004, 02:31 AM
yes you should get it to keep your computer up to date.

more info on service pack 2 can be found here. (http://tvg.cjb.net/index.php?article=sp2)

If you use Firefox then you wont get any spyware or popups (atleast, not through the internet...you cna get them from programs that are spyware infested though (such as kazaa))

Money Fist
12-02-2004, 02:33 AM
bah
them alerts are worse then the paperclip in word

Ariel_001
12-02-2004, 02:34 AM
bah

You know you can disable those things..

Money Fist
12-02-2004, 02:36 AM
You know you can disable those things..

i kno
by goin thru the services menu

but i was just talking on the level of a typical user

anyway
that never helped my gaming frame rate

zapjb
12-02-2004, 02:57 AM
One of the multiple layers of protection is APPLY ALL CRITICAL UPDATES & SERVICE PACKS TO YOUR OS!!!

Duh.

Money Fist
12-02-2004, 03:19 AM
wasnt there a hotfix that restricted the amount of connections outgoing from ur PC?

it was introduced to slow P2P file sharing
there is a patch to fix it tho som were

Ariel_001
12-02-2004, 03:31 AM
wasnt there a hotfix that restricted the amount of connections outgoing from ur PC?

First, sp2 make no limits on the number of tcp/ip connections and it was not introduced to slow P2P file sharing..

Second, You can get it at http://www.lvllord.de/

Smurfette
12-02-2004, 04:13 AM

I think that before you advise people how to run their computers, you should get your head out of your games and actually learn something about Windows, how it works, what it's shortcomings are and the solutions available.
Then install SP2 and stop blabbing about it.

Money Fist
12-02-2004, 04:38 AM
I think that before you advise people how to run their computers, you should get your head out of your games and actually learn something about Windows, how it works, what it's shortcomings are and the solutions available.
Then install SP2 and stop blabbing about it.

shut up u fukwit
it still affects P2P sharing

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497

i think u better log-out and com back when every one has forgotton about
this

Ariel_001
12-02-2004, 04:47 AM
All I get is a blank article...

Money Fist
12-02-2004, 04:49 AM
first paragraph

Remove the limit on TCP connection attempts

Windws XP SP2 introduces a few new twists to TCP/IP in order to babysit users and "reduce the threat" of worms spreading fast without control. In one such attempt, the devs seem to have limited the number of possible TCP connection attempts per second to 10 (from unlimited in SP1). This argumentative feature can possibly affect server and P2P programs that need to open many outbound connections at the same time.
blah blah blah
closing sentances

Still, running servers and P2P programs can definitely be affected by this new limitation. Use the fix as you see fit.

Smurfette
12-02-2004, 07:02 AM
lots of crappy pop up like "make sure this is upto date"
and i lost framerate in a few games

so i kept with SP1 and just used antispyware tools intead
You can turn the security adviser off, you know...

bah
...whici you can also turn off...

i kno
by goin thru the services menu

but i was just talking on the level of a typical user

anyway
that never helped my gaming frame rate
...so what's your point about the alerts, then?

It's a tweak that limits concurrent connection attempts, the introduction of which had nothing to do with p2p programs at all - that's just a side-effect - and for which there is a third-party patcher available. Once more, you blab about something that isn't really a problem at all.
shut up u fukwit
it still affects P2P sharing

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497

i think u better log-out and com back when every one has forgotton about
this
Oh my, you're after the Retard Of The Week award, aint'cha?
Nice of you to post a link that explains the situation in a way you should be able to understand, if you bothered to read it.
Now get back behind the sports hall for another nicotine fix and sports master blowjob, you fucking muppet.

Money Fist
12-02-2004, 08:29 AM
shut up u stupid child who couldnt let a crappy cartoon of smurfs go

you actully think Micro$oft meant NO harm to P2P sharers?
your more of a fukin moron than ur name suggests!

talkin crap to ya self like
...so what's your point about the alerts, then? about past post which were already answered and explained!

SP2 was designed with copyright laws in mind ape face
try reading pre-release articals!

tesco
12-02-2004, 01:03 PM

The reason put the limited amount of net connections into SP2 is so that when new viruses and trojans come out they can't spread as fast.
Think about it. One computer gets the virus and is able to connect to thousands of computers at one time, to spread the virus. Think about how fast that would be.
Now with only 10 connections (or whatever the amount was) viruses will be much slower to spread.

That was microsofts reasoning. I doubt that P2P was even a factor for this, as it doesn't affect many's download speeds (i'ev had no problems).

Afronaut
12-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Lets cool it with the personal attacks.

Its all fun and games....

;)

Afronaut
12-02-2004, 01:13 PM
To a point, I got my WinXp cd fixed to NOT apply these issues.
Security Center, Firewall, Restore Point...
Lotsa services is set off by default in my install cd.

And, it brings me to teh desktop automatically.

I fixed the whole CD with nLite, it has the ability to apply these patches, fixes and more,
The best little tool regarding XP I 've seen on the net. And its free.

It takes about an 30min to 1 hour max to fix the CD. Depends how much you "fix" the cd.
Here's the app:

nLite (http://nuhi.msfn.org/index.html)

Be carefull not to remove lotsa stuff, its better to disable 'em, turn them off.

More info in our forums:
Unattended and Slipstreamed Windoze Install CD or even DVD. (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?p=934261)

:)

tesco
12-02-2004, 01:15 PM
To a point, I got my WinXp cd fixed to NOT apply these issues.
Security Center, Firewall, Restore Point...
Lotsa services is set off by default in my install cd.

And, it brings me to teh desktop automatically.

I fixed the whole CD with nLite, it has the ability to apply these patches, fixes and more,
The best little tool regarding XP I 've seen on the net. And its free.

It takes about an 30min to 1 hour max to fix the CD. Depends how much you "fix" the cd.
Here's the app:

nLite (http://nuhi.msfn.org/index.html)

Be carefull not to remove lotsa stuff, its better to disable 'em, turn them off.

More info in our forums:
Unattended and Slipstreamed Windoze Install CD or even DVD. (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?p=934261)

:)

Sounds good.
Might take a loook later after school.
And add to guide. :)

Afronaut
12-02-2004, 01:56 PM
Sounds good.
Might take a loook later after school.
And add to guide. :)

It is extremely cool tool.

I got me XP install CD which is setup exactly the way I want it.

Im aware there is lotsa similar tools out there but for me this seems to be
the easiest to use.

You'll need:

# The computer that will builds the modified ISO with nLite is running w2k, XP or w2k3 (every version)
# .NET Framework is installed. Because nLite is written in C#, the compiled program need .NET Framework to run.. If that isn't installed on your computer download v1.1 from here.
# You have an w2k/XP/w2k3* (every version) Installation-CD around
# nLite is installed on the computer ;-)

I used UltraIso to extract the XP Pro cd to the tempfolder in drive C.
Then I loaded the nLite, told it to integrate SP2 on the XP and answered punch of questions
about the tweaks and let it do its stuff,
in the end I let it make the ISO which I burned with Nero.

Give it a try. Is all cool.

Also, I've been using VMware to test the CD, and tweak even more.
its pretty much perfect for me now.

zapjb
12-02-2004, 02:23 PM
So far I've resisted installing Net Framework. I believe theres something seriously wrong with that app. I'm always disappointed when I hear/read about a cool app. Then I read further & it requires NF. Boo.

BigDaddy555
12-02-2004, 02:47 PM
after I updated to sp2, I started having trouble with my audio. Ive had to disable the sound mixer (Vinyl Deck) and reinstall the drivers. Ive also had issues with music not maintaining a constant speed. The song will play too fast a lot of times. I tried different media players as discussed in music world about this problem. seems to be ok for now but it was driving me CRAZY!

Ariel_001
12-02-2004, 02:51 PM
after I updated to sp2, I started having trouble with my audio. Ive had to disable the sound mixer (Vinyl Deck) and reinstall the drivers. Ive also had issues with music not maintaining a constant speed. The song will play too fast a lot of times. I tried different media players as discussed in music world about this problem. seems to be ok for now but it was driving me CRAZY!

This may sound silly, But did you update it`s drivers...

Afronaut
12-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Well, I used the dotnet for making the XPcd.
I dont like it either but some ofmy favorite apps needs it.
I also like the WindowsXp Manager...

Money Fist
12-02-2004, 03:45 PM
i may reconsider installing SP2 again (on dual boot)
i hope it wont lag as much as it did be4
perhaps now there will be som windows updates for a little optimization
and make my experience more comfortable then it was back when i did use it first time (just after its realese)

Smurfette
12-02-2004, 07:06 PM
shut up u stupid child who couldnt let a crappy cartoon of smurfs go

talkin crap to ya self like about past post which were already answered and explained!

SP2 was designed with copyright laws in mind ape face
try reading pre-release articals!
What's the matter boy, can't concentrate long enough to consider and reply to the whole post?
I love the irony of your post, though, calling me a stupid child whilst making spelling mistakes that my 12 year old wouldn't. Utter genius.

scribblec
12-02-2004, 07:42 PM
hqhahahahaha fibber got owned by the smurf :D

BigDaddy555
12-03-2004, 07:39 PM
This may sound silly, But did you update it`s drivers...

of course... ;)

iMartin
12-03-2004, 09:37 PM
Ok, everyone just stfu. SP2 greatly increases your security, it's a must. Just make sure you apply the P2P patch, period.

BigDaddy555
12-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Ok, everyone just stfu. SP2 greatly increases your security, it's a must. Just make sure you apply the P2P patch, period.

"P2P patch" :unsure: more info needed......

tesco
12-04-2004, 10:37 PM
http://rossco.pinecurtain.net/index.php?article=p2p#patch (at bottom of the page...link will take you right to it).