PDA

View Full Version : GCSE group speaking and listening task

Spam-King
12-02-2004, 07:10 PM
I have a speaking and listening task tomorrow (where I will be interviewed as Beatrice and Alfieri from a view from the bridge) I really am not a confident speaker so any tips you can give me would be awesome

TheDave
12-02-2004, 07:14 PM
kamakazi. once you've started you're over the worst of it

Snee
12-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Valium or thorazine :)

Spam-King
12-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Valium or thorazine :)

no thank you :lol:

TheDave
12-02-2004, 07:34 PM
Take ten deep breaths before you are about to start. Nice and deep. If possible the tinniest sip of water as well. Have water to hand to you can sip, the mouth goes dry when nervous.

Concentrate on the person you are being interviewed by, try to forget there are other people there, then you will be more natural.

Keep your answers simple at first and speak quite slowly. You speak quicker when nervous, so even if you try to speak slowly it won't sound that way.

As your confidence grows, which will only take a minute or so, then you will become more natural.

Listen to the question and think about your answer. If you don't understand then don't bluff. Simply say "sorry, could you repeat that, I'm not sure what you mean". This can also be used for thinking time if necessary.

Above all, remember that everyone else gets nervous. They all empathise with you and want you to do well. Even if it doesn't seem like it.

Bear in mind that it will only last a wee while. You will feel a great sense of achievement when it is over.

Take your time, do well.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.
i'd do the opposite and not think until i'm in the interview then i can't chicken out, but then that may be why i keep getting "dont call us" at job interviews:no:

Spam-King
12-02-2004, 07:40 PM
thanks JPaul