PDA

View Full Version : Attacked?

edgy2
04-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Howz it possible?...partly my fault I suppose. Was downloading a .avi file to experiment with dvd to svcd conversion, and to reduce possible resource-drain, I closed all the normal 'protection' programs I usually use during downloads [closed zonealarm, closed anti-virus program, and any other tsr's]

What happened?...I started the download, went to do some house chores and checked back on my system, and it had booted up my 2nd OS [I run a dual-boot MSWIN98se/MSWIN2k system]...

Any network techs can help explain what happened?...or where I can report this incident?...I have the 'user-name' of the computer from which I was downloading the file at that time if someone needs it...but donno if that person(s) was directly responsible...not looking to hurt anyone here, but need to find out if this type of attack on my computer is common or preventable (never had incident like this when running my normal firewall/anti-virus)...but think that the configuration to my firewall might need to be re-considered if it does occur...

Is there a patch?...running version 2.0.2 now and will upgrade to the version 2.1.0 with the patch, but haven't done that yet...

fyi :o

firefox
04-02-2003, 02:24 PM
Dude, how unfortunate.

Look the best protection from getting hacked is to have a firewall. I prefer hardware firewall because you do not have to make any changes to your computer. With these you can control all traffic that comes in and out of your computer. If you can not afford a hardware firewall you can use the Zone Alarm that you have. Just make sure it is the latest version and you have it configured correctly.

The world is trying to do what they can about hackers, but the more they do the more that hackers want to do too. It is a never ending story.

imported_QuietSilence!
04-02-2003, 04:02 PM
un fortunatly edgy2 the hadrware fire wall is just the 1st line of defence
it cant not bolck applacations just ports where a software firewall will only let the apps that u say use ur connection
so if any thing gets past the outside fire wall Like in a file u dl or an email it can then install on ur comp and use ur open ports and ur outside fire wall will be happy to let it

a hardware firewall is all good and well and work fine for outside attacks but u need a software fire wall too

Blue_Seraphim
04-10-2003, 07:53 AM
You need to make sure you don't have any trojans lurking in your system.

N£MO
04-10-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by edgy2@2 April 2003 - 15:12
Howz it possible?...partly my fault I suppose. Was downloading a .avi file to experiment with dvd to svcd conversion, and to reduce possible resource-drain, I closed all the normal 'protection' programs I usually use during downloads [closed zonealarm, closed anti-virus program, and any other tsr's]

What happened?...I started the download, went to do some house chores and checked back on my system, and it had booted up my 2nd OS [I run a dual-boot MSWIN98se/MSWIN2k system]...

Any network techs can help explain what happened?...or where I can report this incident?...I have the 'user-name' of the computer from which I was downloading the file at that time if someone needs it...but donno if that person(s) was directly responsible...not looking to hurt anyone here, but need to find out if this type of attack on my computer is common or preventable (never had incident like this when running my normal firewall/anti-virus)...but think that the configuration to my firewall might need to be re-considered if it does occur...

Is there a patch?...running version 2.0.2 now and will upgrade to the version 2.1.0 with the patch, but haven't done that yet...

fyi :o
I got to say that if you have a good firewall(like you have)and you turn it off you are asking for trouble.

Have you done a full system scan?If you have i recommend you get a scan online too,just to be safe.Scan with a good ad/spyware remover.

There is no patch for what your asking about but i hope you manage to sort out your problem. :)

OcramC
04-10-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by firefox@2 April 2003 - 14:24
Dude, how unfortunate.

Look the best protection from getting hacked is to have a firewall. I prefer hardware firewall because you do not have to make any changes to your computer. With these you can control all traffic that comes in and out of your computer. If you can not afford a hardware firewall you can use the Zone Alarm that you have. Just make sure it is the latest version and you have it configured correctly.

The world is trying to do what they can about hackers, but the more they do the more that hackers want to do too. It is a never ending story.
or when you do those kind of things dont connect to the internet