PDA

View Full Version : svchost keeps bothering me

Josh
02-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Everytime i start up my pc svchost and gvupdate keep using all my cpu power i just formatted pc and reinstalled everything and running windows xp home and norton system works 2005 with gigabyte utility software whats goin on svchost stops me getting online when i stop the program everything fine whats going on ?????

Vargas
02-27-2005, 10:44 PM
you may need it to connect to the internet
i didn't let it connect to the web when i had dialup, but since switching to cable i have to allow it :-(

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314056/EN-US/

Josh
02-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Doesnty really help everytime i want to go online i need to shut down svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE and will let me connect ???? and it uses loads of CPU usage

It gets to registring to network (Bt broadband) and stays there until i end process for svchost and then finishes its connect

Josh
02-28-2005, 12:21 AM
Right the SVCHOST that causes problems is this one

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k NetworkService

I went into my Admin tools and to services and its the DNS Client that stops me making connection to internet and causes all the high CPU Usage what is this what does it do so i need it running.

When i enable it again while online internet stop responding ??????? whats going on with the DNS Client what should i so please help

harrycary
02-28-2005, 04:12 AM
It's a necessary service. As you' ve found out.

When i enable it again while online internet stop responding ???????

Leave it alone. It has to do with domain names and resolving their corresponding ip address.

Frankly I would be more concerned with Norton. Isn't it known to be a resource hog?

peat moss
02-28-2005, 05:01 AM
I'm curious what firewall are you using?

Josh
02-28-2005, 07:39 AM
Im using norton worm protection when i installed system works it said i should disable windows firewall and use their worm protection will this make a different cos when i disable it and try to get online with DNS client running it still will just stand at registering you to the network and one i stop DNS client it goes to Authencating anf then completes connection ??????? what can i do i tried reinstalling my ADSL and still nothing

Also still using CPU of about 50% when running i tried flush dns and nothing happened

tesco
02-28-2005, 01:26 PM
is it connected by ethernet or usb?
if it's connected by usb and you have an ethernet connection on the computer and modem then connect by that.

if it's already connected by ethernet try reinstalling the network card's drivers.

if it's connected by USB i guess that adsl software would have reinstalled it's drivers.

Vargas
02-28-2005, 02:25 PM
i would call your ISP and ask them what to do ;p

Josh
02-28-2005, 06:23 PM
I have a USB Modem with no ethernet on it :( but i didnt have problems before my format and what about the CPU Usage ?????????

Josh
03-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Does n e one know of this problem and a soultion i cant keep running my internet with the DNS Client disabled

To recap problem:

When DNS Client (svchost.exe network service) enabled i cannot get online and the moment i try or open n e thing net related the svchost.exe goes to 50% CPU usage. When disabled internet connects fine and no problems can be seen. When re-enabled when internet connected the internet just stopped and nothing can be done and goes to 50% CPU usage i still cant any soultion and Microsoft do not give free support any more

Could my network card affect this at all ?????

fkdup74
03-01-2005, 07:37 PM
DNS Client (svchost.exe network service)

thats not just the DNS client
multiple services are running under svchost
the "NETWORK SERVICE" is just telling it what credentials to run under i believe
and if svchost.exe is eating CPU....
disable a lot of the shit that runs under it
all these run under svchost.exe:

-Alerter
-Application Management
-Automatic Updates
-Background Intelligent Transfer Services
-COM+ Event System
-Computer Browser
-Cryptographic Service
-DHCP Client
-DIstributed Link Tracking Client
-DNS Client
-Error Reporting Service
-Fast User Switching
-Help And Support
-Human Interface Device Access
-Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
-Logical Disk Manager
-Messenger
-Network Connections
-Network Location Awareness (NLA)
-Portable Media Serial Number Service
-Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
-Remote Access Connection Manager
-Remote Registry
-Removable Storage
-Routing and Remote Access
-Secondary Logon
-Server
-Shell Hardware Detection
-SSDP Discovery Service
-System Event Notification
-System Restore Service
-Task Scheduler
-TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
-Telephony
-Terminal Services
-Themes
-Universal Plug and Play Device Host
-Upload Manager
-WebClient
-Windows Audio
-Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
-Windows Management Instrumentation
-Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions
-Windows Time
-Wireless Zero Configuration
-Workstation

pretty long list of shit eh?
thats why its not a bad idea to go in tweak the services
most of all.....

DISABLE (due to security risks):
-Universal Plug and Play Device Host
-SSDP Discovery Service
-Messenger
-Remote Registry

optional:
things like server, web client, computer browser, etc.
look at the description of what it does and decide wether or not you need that service
pay attention to the dependancies as well

Josh
03-01-2005, 07:53 PM
I know tis DNS cos i tested in the services list and thats how i been enabling and disabling it its the DNS Client

DNS Client when enabled causes problems and when stopped everything is fine

And when its enabled and i start up the pc its fine but moment i try to connect to Bt Broadband (ADSL) CPU usage goes sky high and cant connect just stops on Registring to network and when it stops there i can get on by stopping DNS Client.

fkdup74
03-01-2005, 08:27 PM
I know tis DNS cos i tested in the services list and thats how i been enabling and disabling it its the DNS Client

im not saying its NOT your DNS client....
just saying that svchost covers more than just the DNS

another thing to try is.....
from the control panel....
go to network connections, right click your connection used for your DSL...
select properties > highlight internet protocol (TCP/IP) > properties
check to see if theyre set to obtain settings automatically
if youre on a dynamic IP i would think they should be auto

from the control panel....
go to internet settings > connections > LAN settings > automatically detect settings...try to connect with it checked/unchecked

try the internet connection wizard if you cant get it going :P

Josh
03-01-2005, 08:36 PM
Its DNS Client cos i did it all in Admin Tools and in Services i found what Network Service it was and did process of elimination it came to DNS Client. I dont use LAN its Bt Broadband Self Install USB Modem but i will try

fkdup74
03-01-2005, 08:41 PM
I dont use LAN its Bt Broadband Self Install USB Modem but i will try

ummm....oops....missed that part :blushing: :P
ok disregard anything i've said and call your ISP :lol:

Josh
03-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Ah BT Broadband the wankers that dont have a clue,

but how would that fix my CPU usage problem also i didnt have this problem before i reformatted and reintalled

fkdup74
03-01-2005, 08:50 PM
but how would that fix my CPU usage problem also i didnt have this problem before i reformatted and reintalled

i would look into some of those services i posted
a lot of them are unnecessary
but if its just coming down to DNS causing the prob...
and everything is working w/o DNS.... :whistling .....

Josh
03-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Yeah thats what i was thinking but isnt DNS important ??????

fkdup74
03-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Yeah thats what i was thinking but isnt DNS important ??????

importance, IMO, is measured by how well your system does/doesnt run with or without it
in your case, DNS seems to be unnecesary, in fact a problem
i've never used a USB modem, so its hard for me to say
maybe the modem/drivers itself handles name resolutions,
and windows DNS running on top of that just creates problems? :unsure:

Josh
03-01-2005, 11:04 PM
????? who knows i did firewall tests and no problems there so security not as risk as far as i can see will just see what happenes??????

Josh
03-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Right something new i have discovered. When i re-enable DNS client while internet running Soulseek still worked so im guessing other P2P will work as well still 50% cpu usage tho on the DNS Client im changing ADSL ISP's soon then see what happenes