PDA

View Full Version : Anti Virus?

Peerzy
03-02-2005, 11:12 PM
What Av would you reccomend, however just a few things i would want with it.

1)Set it up at the start and not have it fucking around with my system, poping up every two seconds. Im pritty much my own AV as is not hard to tell what sites not to go to but i just want something to sit in the background, do the scan everyday at 4 in the morning, have inbuilt context menus so i can right click and scan any file quickly.

Basically AVG fits into them but im just wonderng if theres something better. also im not gonna use Norton, what about Nod32? Mcafee? ....and so on.

Virtualbody1234
03-02-2005, 11:27 PM
Symantec Corp. AntiVirus.

Why are you not going to use Norton?

peat moss
03-03-2005, 12:08 AM

Ya its not Norton its ............ Symantec . Jk You should try it Preezy :)

RPerry
03-03-2005, 12:11 AM

good question.. since I have been using Nortons, going on 4 years now, I have never had a virus :01:

fkdup74
03-03-2005, 12:21 AM
also im not gonna use Norton

:ohmy:

see, thats why yer drives crashed...
you werent using norton/symantec....j/k :P
symantec corp is a good way to go peerzy...lifetime updates :D

and while i cant brag about never getting a virus like RPerry :dry: :P .....
the very few that i have gotten were my doing, not symantec's
but symantec caught the fkrs :01:

Peerzy
03-03-2005, 12:31 AM
I tried Norton about a year ago and hated everything about it, the GUI, the constant pop ups, the fact it high jacked my recycle bin and loads of other things. I know its the best 'statistically' but im not looking for the best really, im looking for somethingthats nice and easy on the eyes, no annying pops or changing my system. I've only had MS AntiSpyware thingyy installed for 10 minutes and im considering uninstalling it as its constantly poping up, it said Kazaa Lite was spyware and that so was MSN Plus (i made sure i didn't install the ghey advert bar)

fkdup74
03-03-2005, 12:37 AM
I tried Norton about a year ago and hated everything about it, the GUI, the constant pop ups, the fact it high jacked my recycle bin and loads of other things.

you musta had NIS, NSW or somethin :unsure:
never had NAV/SAV cawkjack my trash bin :blink:

and the only popup i ever get with corp is when i disable auto protect

Peerzy
03-03-2005, 12:40 AM

I borrowed a legal copy of Norton System Works 2004 and i gave it back without copying it, thats how much i hated it.

peat moss
03-03-2005, 12:42 AM

Ya I hate that NSW antivirus suite. Thats why many switched to Symantec Corp. Because theres no eye candy , its quicker,uses less resources. I could go on on . But you get the gist . ;)

I use the utilities from NSW just not the antivirus. Peerzy you can run the program's right off the disk no need to install NSW, by the way.

tesco
03-03-2005, 01:12 AM
NOD32 is great. :)

my next choice would be avg.

zapjb
03-03-2005, 02:32 AM
You said you DID'NT want the best. So don't get Kaspersky personal, cause it's the best.

100%
03-03-2005, 01:34 PM
started with norton until its heaviness bored me, im using avg now but am concidering kapersky.

\-->Free Antivirus<--/
Don't want to pay for protection? Make sure to check out the competition...

>AVG<
http://www.grisoft.com/

1. Slow scans, somewhat frequent updates, sometimes misses viruses or can't remove them
2. Bloated interface, pretty high memory usage
3. 10-15 megs of memory

AVG seems to have turned into a big company producing newer but worse quality antivirus protection...
Uninstalled

>Avast!<
http://www.avast.com/

1. fast scans, frequent updates, nice interface
2. good custom install, nice over-all look
3. 10-15 megs of memory

Best free av I've tested so far...
Stays on Computer

>Antivir<
http://www.free-av.com/

1. More minimal than avg, simple interface but kindoff ugly, win98 style
2. Finds more viruses than avg, but still has problems removing some
3. 10-15 megs of memory

Next in line right after avast, wonder if this will change...
Uninstalled

Izagaia
03-03-2005, 05:30 PM
the fact it high jacked my recycle bin and loads of other things. I know its the best 'statistically' but im not looking for the best really, im looking for somethingthats nice and easy on the eyes, no annying pops or changing my system. I've only had MS AntiSpyware thingyy installed for 10 minutes and im considering uninstalling it as its constantly poping up, it said Kazaa Lite was spyware and that so was MSN Plus (i made sure i didn't install the ghey advert bar)

Norton products can be configured at the install to control your Recycle Bin and whether or not to protect those files. By choosing which elements or tools you want on your system.

At the moment, since K-Lite is essentially an "illegal" build of the original Kazaa application, MS antispyware does not recognize any of it's contents as actual non-malicsious files. It is not even actually saying that any of the elements are spyware- just that they are purported as being "associated" with spy/adware applications. You can option to have your future scans omit K-Lite if you set it that way. The same with MSN. Whether the adware is actually installed or not, the application is basically reporting to you a warning of a potentially known risk. Adaware SE Professional is structured the same way, I have noticed. Even Spybot S&D does alittle of this practice too. In the end, it boils down to individual users having a basic understanding and knowledge of what is installed on the their systems and making informed choices from it. I have to believe that on down the road, anti-spyware developers will evolve their applications to a point where the heuristics are capable of making those decisions for us- such as how modern anti-virus programs behave now. It is all still a relatively new area to delve into for everyone. :)