PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Professional x64 new link

hippychick
03-02-2005, 11:28 PM
Welcome! If you have a 64-bit ready PC, you now have the option to receive trial software for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition via CD or download. Read below about the different options for obtaining the pre-release software, and then use the links on the right to register to order the CD Kit or download product files. Please note that in either case, the pre-release software is time-limited and will expire in 360 days.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

Later this month they'll have the cd

Peerzy
03-02-2005, 11:37 PM
Free CD that costs Microsoft money :shifty:

fkdup74
03-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Please note that in either case, the pre-release software is time-limited and will expire in 360 days.

meh, the crackas will be all over that like stink on doo-doo :lol:
i dont think some of us will have to worry about it timing out after a year :shifty:

clocker
03-03-2005, 12:11 PM
meh, the crackas will be all over that like stink on doo-doo :lol:
i dont think some of us will have to worry about it timing out after a year :shifty:
I don't think that MS will care if you crack a beta and keep using it.
The latest build is almost fully functional...previous builds were not.
Now I can get into Windows Update.
Too bad there's nothing there for me.....

fkdup74
03-03-2005, 03:41 PM
I don't think that MS will care if you crack a beta and keep using it.

oops, it is still beta :blushing:

but, truth told, i dont think they would turn up too many rocks for the ppl that get the final release illegally

they couldve screamed and threw a fit and screwed a lot of ppl
when that verification stuff started, but they didnt

Izagaia
03-03-2005, 05:07 PM
I had thought that either Microsoft, AMD or Intel (not certain which) pulled or is planning to pull development for 64bit systems? Leaning towards Microsoft... I wish I could recall the source I had heard this from. :unsure:

lynx
03-04-2005, 12:50 PM
I had thought that either Microsoft, AMD or Intel (not certain which) pulled or is planning to pull development for 64bit systems? Leaning towards Microsoft... I wish I could recall the source I had heard this from. :unsure:Microsoft have had 64-bit versions of NT based systems before now, primarily for the Dec Alpha based machines. But sales were so small there was not enough demand to justifying supporting the software so they dropped it some time ago. This may well be what you heard.

Now that mainstream chipmakers are producing 64-bit systems there is no way that MS will "pull" the development of this product - it would leave the field wide open for Linux to fill, giving it much more acceptance than it has now and severely threatening MS's market share.