PDA

View Full Version : iPod Mini vs. Creative Zen Micro

Rip The Jacker
03-04-2005, 06:12 AM
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0001XR4KA.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg VS. http://www.creative.com/iss/images/inline/products/zenmicro/feature_connectivity.jpg

Which one should I buy? :unsure:

The iPod is great and everything, but people say the battery kills over in around 9 months. And the battery isn't user replaceable, which will be a hassle.

The Creative Zen Micro has a removable battery, so that kind of solves that problem. It has a radio with the ability to record voice and radio, the iPod doesn't. But people say with the Zen Micro, after months of usage, the headphone jack gets loose.

The headphone jack is having a hard time making contact and certain sound channels are cut off. Users on Creative's discussion boards have replaced their players 3-4 times due to this problem. As I write this my first player is on its way back to where I bought it for a replacement.
Also, the Zen Micro doesn't work as a USB Mass Storage device, and you have to use the software it comes with.

If only the iPod had a removable battery thats easy to swap like the Zen Micro. Does anyone have either of the two products? Anything I should know? What should I buy?

Monkeee
03-04-2005, 06:54 AM
i'd get the Mini iPod, it has 6 gig storage, and 18 hours battery life. Plus, if your battery runs out within a year which was bought (comes with free 1 year warrenty), you can go to any iPod store and ask them to change the battery for free. as long as your battery life is 50% dead they will change the batteries for you, but make sure you keep the receipt. and if you really want protection i think you can get a 2 year warrenty plan for like 30$. anywa

Rip The Jacker
03-04-2005, 07:08 AM
Actually, I thought the iPod Mini had 4GB of storage. :unsure:
The Zen Micro has 5GB.

And CircuityCity (where I'm buying from) has the 2 year warrenty for $65. :-/

sparsely
03-04-2005, 07:19 AM
i'd get a zen just to be non-conformist ;)

Monkeee
03-04-2005, 07:27 AM
There's a 4 Gig iPod (200$) and a 6 Gig iPod (250$)

and holy crap they over priced that warrenty like crazy, is there any official Apple store near you?

Monkeee
03-04-2005, 07:31 AM
hmm... i found the retail price was 59.99 for the protection plan.... i guess i got it for a discount or something

Rip The Jacker
03-04-2005, 07:35 AM
i'd get a zen just to be non-conformist ;)
Yeah thats what I was going to do. :P
The iPods are actually overrated, people think iPod's are the only MP3 players in the world. Stupid Zen Micro with its headphone jack problem.

@Monkeee
Yeah I guess you did, $60 is way too much.

Monkeee
03-04-2005, 07:49 AM
actually if i were you, i'd just get the zen, it has a radio lol, i want a radio on my ipod!!!

Rip The Jacker
03-04-2005, 07:53 AM
Yeah, thats what I like over the iPod. It has a radio, and you can even record off the radio, thats pretty neat.

Monkeee
03-04-2005, 07:58 AM
wait thats pretty cool than, if someone doesen't even have the computer they can just record off the radio... my dear god... lol i wonder, can RIAA do anything about this? lol

TheDave
03-04-2005, 11:04 AM
zen micro coolness > ipod coolishness

l_p_4_7
03-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Just found this (http://www.mp3.com/iPod+Mini+vs.+Zen+Micro/stories/1149.html) if you're still interested/haven't made your mind up :)

Virtualbody1234
03-16-2005, 05:51 PM
i'd get the Mini iPod, it has 6 gig storage, and 18 hours battery life. Plus, if your battery runs out within a year which was bought (comes with free 1 year warrenty), you can go to any iPod store and ask them to change the battery for free. as long as your battery life is 50% dead they will change the batteries for you, but make sure you keep the receipt. and if you really want protection i think you can get a 2 year warrenty plan for like 30$. anywa
Have you actually heard of someone getting a new battery under warranty? I bet there's something about the battery not being covered.

Rip The Jacker
03-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Just found this (http://www.mp3.com/iPod+Mini+vs.+Zen+Micro/stories/1149.html) if you're still interested/haven't made your mind up :)
Nice link, I guess I should give the Zen Micro a shot. :)

kazaa2002
03-17-2005, 05:27 AM
RIP, I have several zen micros, (family demand after first one) the last one I got came with 2 batteries....so look around ...some colors only have one battery in pkg.
hooked up software, no problem with windows 2000 but had problem with xp home
not much help from manufacture site. Anyway if it gives you trouble, just go to the cd
supplied and scroll down to english...then go to driver and use the 2nd one listed...dbl click
and when this installs you will be ready to go. it is a nice unit, the sound is great.

Monkeee
03-18-2005, 02:06 AM
Have you actually heard of someone getting a new battery under warranty? I bet there's something about the battery not being covered.

actually on the box of the warrenty... it clearly states that it would change your batteries if it ever dies.. or if it was under 50%, as long as your warrenty didn't expire.

Spicker
03-18-2005, 03:43 AM
if u get an mini now u get the new ones...

the color is waay more vibrant and its a bit smaller and the battery life is 18hrs

and if u dont harass the ipod battery then it should last you years and years.