PDA

View Full Version : BackupFox 0.6, A tool for Firefox

100%
03-04-2005, 04:55 PM
There has been a lot of discussion about backing up Firefox extensions, preferences, bookmarks etc. A promising tool, MozBackup, was unfortunately discontinued. On top of all that, yesterday, after my main HDD fainted (power cable got disconnected), my firefox profile got corrupt. I had no chance but to write a tool to backup/restore my profile.

Notes
1. This is still BETA; there may be some glitches
2. This saves a complete backup of your profile, not just extensions or bookmarks.
3. It uses 7-zip commandline to create and extract archives.
4. It requires administrative rights (on NT-class Windows)
5. It has not been tested with Windows 9x/Me

1. I've successfully restored my profile after uninstalling firefox (and deleting my profiles) and reinstalling it.
2. I've successfully transfered my profile on my second computer (backup on first pc, and restore on second).

Download
BackupFox 0.6 http://mhtools.knoware.nl/raptor/backupfox/backupfox06.zip

Enjoy!

Antonis

http://www.neowin.net/forum/uploads/post-10533-1109623587.jpg

tesco
03-04-2005, 09:22 PM
that's weird cause just a couple days ago i setup a program to backup my firefox folders.:blink:

peat moss
03-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Don't take this as bashing EI , but I'm learning new things about Firefox everytime I come on this forum. Its like I'm just straching the surface of what I can do with it. It does seem to have a high learning curve tho. :)

100%
03-05-2005, 04:20 PM
that's weird cause just a couple days ago i setup a program to backup my firefox folders.:blink:

did you make it yourself - what does it exactly do?
also the shockwave,flash,quicktime pulgins? adblocklist?

tesco
03-05-2005, 05:30 PM
did you make it yourself - what does it exactly do?
also the shockwave,flash,quicktime pulgins? adblocklist?
dunno everything that it does lol.
but it's jusit novabackup setup to backup my profiles folders (C:\documents and settings/name/application data/mozilla/firefox/profiles) to another partition for safe keeping.
if windows dies one day i just copy that profile folder back and firefox runs as if nothing changed. :unsure:

edit: what i'm sure of is that it gets the extensions (inscluding adblock and it's list), themes, bookmarks, and general firefox layout u have (where the toolbars are, etc.).
Can't remember if it kept flash or qquicktime. :unsure: