PDA

View Full Version : web surfing going slow

leonidas
03-04-2005, 10:44 PM
I would like to know if there is a solution to my problem:

I've got 4mbits connection with 256 upload, I use abc with uses about half of my upload band and less than a quarter of my downloading bandwith.

If I start my computer, and stard surfing on the web, it's ok, but if abc runs for a few hour and if then I want to surf, it's going the hell slower about 20 second to diplay the pages.

What can I do is there a memory to empty of something?

I've got a batron 2500 & 256 ddr ram a 64 mb graphic pci card which when I used to play games allow me to play to gta vice city nearly without bugs.

what's your diagnostique, and the cure if there is one?

leonidas
03-05-2005, 01:34 AM
please help!!

peat moss
03-05-2005, 01:45 AM
Clean the brower cache and temp files ? Not a lot to go on leonidas. :)

What I mean is what browser you using? Checked for spyware, virus, trojan ?

tesco
03-05-2005, 01:55 AM
do you have SP2? it could be that your maximum allowed connections limit has been reached (it's set to only 10 in SP2 by default).

Download and install XP Antispy (http://www.xp-antispy.org/) and click special>change connection limit or something like that, then set it to unlimited.
Might solve your problem, if not atleast it could make your downloads faster. :)

leonidas
03-09-2005, 03:28 AM
So I've setup xp antyspy, done what what you told me to do, but Ican't select more than 50 or 500 connections, it seems for the moment. I've clean the computer with, spybot, adaware, registry mechanich,anti-trojan, & nav corp 8. done also defragmentation of hard disks, No damned changes :{ Obviously it comes from ABC the bittorrent client I'm using, cos when I launch IE & firefox when ABC isn't working, my internet browsers are the hell quicker, instead of taking without exageration, between 30 second & one minute to display a normal web page.
I'm downloading 20-30 files a time, and set uploads to unlimited maybe it comes from that?
I have a 4 mbits connection, 256 mb ddr barton 2500 so?

fkdup74
03-09-2005, 04:06 AM
and set uploads to unlimited maybe it comes from that?

set an upload limit in ABC
maybe 80-90% of your total upload
try maybe around 200-225kbps
(around 25 KB/s)
then see how it goes

Ariel_001
03-09-2005, 06:03 AM
do you have SP2? it could be that your maximum allowed connections limit has been reached (it's set to only 10 in SP2 by default).

Download and install XP Antispy (http://www.xp-antispy.org/) and click special>change connection limit or something like that, then set it to unlimited.
Might solve your problem, if not atleast it could make your downloads faster. :)

Why do people think that? There is no connections limits in SP2.. Dl a tons of things and do a netstat and you see..

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2netwk.mspx

Limited number of simultaneous incomplete outbound TCP connection attempts
Detailed description

The TCP/IP stack now limits the number of simultaneous incomplete outbound TCP connection attempts. After the limit has been reached, subsequent connection attempts are put in a queue and will be resolved at a fixed rate. Under normal operation, when applications are connecting to available hosts at valid IP addresses, no connection rate-limiting will occur. When it does occur, a new event, with ID 4226, appears in the system’s event log.

Why is this change important? What threats does it help mitigate?

This change helps to limit the speed at which malicious programs, such as viruses and worms, spread to uninfected computers. Malicious programs often attempt to reach uninfected computers by opening simultaneous connections to random IP addresses. Most of these random addresses result in a failed connection, so a burst of such activity on a computer is a signal that it may have been infected by a malicious program.

What works differently?

This change may cause certain security tools, such as port scanners [not web surfing], to run more slowly.

fkdup74
03-09-2005, 03:42 PM
Limited number of simultaneous incomplete outbound TCP connection attempts
Detailed description

The TCP/IP stack now limits the number of simultaneous incomplete outbound TCP connection attempts. After the limit has been reached, subsequent connection attempts are put in a queue and will be resolved at a fixed rate. Under normal operation, when applications are connecting to available hosts at valid IP addresses, no connection rate-limiting will occur. When it does occur, a new event, with ID 4226, appears in the system’s event log.

Why is this change important? What threats does it help mitigate?

This change helps to limit the speed at which malicious programs, such as viruses and worms, spread to uninfected computers. Malicious programs often attempt to reach uninfected computers by opening simultaneous connections to random IP addresses. Most of these random addresses result in a failed connection, so a burst of such activity on a computer is a signal that it may have been infected by a malicious program.

What works differently?

This change may cause certain security tools, such as port scanners [not web surfing], to run more slowly.

see, when i read stuff like that about SP2...
it sounds SO good on paper
but i had nothing but problems with SP2 :angry:
i just put together a pc for my mom....
decided to give SP2 another shot....
couldnt connect to the damned net :(
blah, maybe another day i'll get bored and try it again :P

leonidas
03-10-2005, 03:52 AM
I've set a limit to abc upload band: no cahnges! ):

There's a strange statement, I've got 2 computers at home , both conecting to the internet throw a modem-rooter since a few hours, and I've constated that web browsing on linux was also going slow when abc was running under the computer with xp!

RealitY
03-10-2005, 08:09 AM
If you have two pc on the same 4mb/256K line and they go over a 25KB ul limit combined they will most likely choke your surfing so when it was stated to limit to 25K that would apply to both pc combined if they were on a router as an example sharing the connection so thus like 12K each then.

Alternativly if the second computer is not using ul banwidth it could be that your router is becoming flooded with too many connections and cannot handle the traffic due to being an older router or possibly being in need of a firmware upgrade perhaps...