PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference?

Wolfmight
03-05-2005, 01:39 AM
What's the difference between two LCD monitors with 12ms and 25ms response times? Do games play smoother on 12ms? Is 12ms worth an extra $100 over the 25ms? Just wondering. I heard lower is better, but 25ms is very fast in technical terms.

tesco
03-05-2005, 02:03 AM
The 12ms is much much better.
I wouldn't get anything higher than a 16mm, ghosting (images still on the screen when a new image comes up, caused by slow response time) are awful for gaming, movie watching, etc.

harrycary
03-05-2005, 04:34 AM
The response time is in reference to how fast a LCD pixel will turn "on" or "off".

It's obvious that the faster a pixel can do this, the less likely the human eye will see it. Thereby making a moving image more clear or crisp and not blurry.

clocker
03-05-2005, 01:37 PM
The 12ms is much much better.
I wouldn't get anything higher than a 16mm, ghosting (images still on the screen when a new image comes up, caused by slow response time) are awful for gaming, movie watching, etc.
I'm not so sure about that, Ross.
I have read a few comparisons where there was no noticable difference at all in gameplay between "fast" and "slow" response units.
Just last week we built a socket939 SLI machine with twin Leadtek 6600GT cards and it ran Half Life2 beautifully on our shop's screen (25ms).
I couldn't see any ghosting or trails.
I'm sure a faster response might have been better, but for the extra money it now costs I can't say they are worth it.

But, I'm old and slow and my gaming consists of PONG.

Wolfmight
03-05-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm not so sure about that, Ross.
I have read a few comparisons where there was no noticable difference at all in gameplay between "fast" and "slow" response units.
Just last week we built a socket939 SLI machine with twin Leadtek 6600GT cards and it ran Half Life2 beautifully on our shop's screen (25ms).
I couldn't see any ghosting or trails.
I'm sure a faster response might have been better, but for the extra money it now costs I can't say they are worth it.

But, I'm old and slow and my gaming consists of PONG.
Ever test Doom 3, Half-life 2 on that unit?
Any lower grade 3D games? UT 2003, Hitman 2?

clocker
03-05-2005, 03:28 PM
We did run HL2 and the owner was very impressed.
Doom3 bores me to death so we didn't install it.

Naturally, my time with the PC was limited as the new owner was somewhat anxious to take it home.
We were somewhat anxious to get paid so it all worked out for the best.

As I said before, I'm sure the faster response time would be nice, but your original post questioned if the extra $100 was worth it and right now I'd say no.

It's very difficult to buy a monitor based solely on the specs.
Obviously for the shop I have to watch the price point very carefully, a very nice unit that doesn't sell quickly is a drain on my resources.

This is a model that I like (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-161-010&depa=1) , in fact, I just bought one for myself.
Keep in mind that I am not a gamer so my requirements may differ, but for the money I think it's an excellent value.
So far, I have sold five of these units and have yet to see a single dead pixel.
The height adjustment works easily and the veiw angle is exemplary.

You may want to look into it.

Virtualbody1234
03-05-2005, 03:31 PM
Ever test Doom 3, Half-life 2 on that unit?...

with twin Leadtek 6600GT cards and it ran Half Life2 beautifully on our shop's screen (25ms).

:frusty:

peat moss
03-05-2005, 03:44 PM
I was always told not to buy a lcd if you were a gamer . Buy a crt instead Is that true? Something about dead pixels and reponce time

Virtualbody1234
03-05-2005, 03:50 PM
If the desktop has the room then a CRT is a good choice.

lynx
03-05-2005, 04:13 PM
If measures to ISO definitions, the pixel response time is supposed to be the total of the pixel rise time and the pixel fall time. Unfortunately in many cases there is no indication that the manufacturers are using this standard, and independent testing has shown some are only quoting the rise time.

To make matters worse the methods often employed to achieve a fast rise time directly lead to an extended fall time, so a misquoted fast pixel response time may actually be worse that an accurately quoted slower time.

But total pixel response time isn't always the full story anyway. A fast rise time with a relatively slow fall time (compared to other monitors) may leave you with only a small period of workable on time, a slower rise time with a relatively fast fall time can give a a much better period of workable on time and consequently a crisper image. Viewing angles may also need to be reduced in order to achieve fast responses, you have to work out whether that's important to you.

Have a look here (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/response-2.html) for a better idea of what is actually going on.

Peerzy
03-05-2005, 04:26 PM

Yeah all my mates have TFT's and there shit for gaming you have to sit at the desk and do anything if you look at it from any angle you get horrible picture. I have a CRT because there cheaper, they do a better job, and i have the room.

peat moss
03-05-2005, 04:28 PM

Vb , I don't mean to be off topic but thought this was worth posting . :)

http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/DeadPixels.html

Peerzy
03-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Vb , I don't mean to be off topic but thought this was worth posting . :)

http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/DeadPixels.html

No dead pixals on a 2 year old CRT, which provides no ghosting and perfect gaming and movie watching. It is a flat screen but its not a TFT if you get me, hard to explain, its like a flat tv without the plasma tv size and cost.

Virtualbody1234
03-05-2005, 04:58 PM
No dead pixals on a 2 year old CRT...
:lol: :lol: Now that's funny.

Peerzy
03-05-2005, 05:00 PM
:lol: :lol: Now that's funny.

I win :D :01:

harrycary
03-05-2005, 08:48 PM
CRT=cathode ray tube. More commonly called a "picture tube"

TFT=thin film transistor. A type of LCD.

LCD= liquid crystal display. Commonly called "flat screens"

Don't confuse flat screen CRTs with flat screen LCDs. Two very different animals.

BTW, "dead pixels" do occur on CRT monitors. But, they are usually reminants on the shadow mask that occur during the manufacturing process. Usually tapping it with a screwdriver handle will clear the pixel.

my .02¢

3RA1N1AC
03-06-2005, 09:22 AM
I was always told not to buy a lcd if you were a gamer . Buy a crt instead Is that true? Something about dead pixels and reponce time
that advice is based on the fact that LCD computer monitors (and tvs) are still relatively new and the technology needs some refinement. basically if you buy a flat panel display, your main reason would be because it takes up less space than a CRT.

if you want bright & accurate colors, a wide viewing angle, good refresh/response rate for reflex-intensive games, and you're not concerned with how much space it takes up, then stick with CRT for the moment. LCD screens will no doubt catch up with CRTs eventually re: the quality of a typical "entry level" model. but thus far the appeal has more to do with interior decor than with quality.

ALSO-- everyone doesn't have the same eyes. the difference in quality may not be as obvious to one person as it is to another person, and it may not even matter that much to some people who can tell the difference.

LCD= liquid crystal display. Commonly called "flat screens"
"flat panels," you mean? :P