PDA

View Full Version : RAM question

foot loose
03-06-2005, 07:11 PM
can u tell how much ram is on a stick just by looking at it??

for example i have two sticks of RAM how do i tell what compacity they are??

tesco
03-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Not unless there's some sort of label or marking on it telling you exactly what it is.
if there's a model number on it you might be able to find it on the net though.

foot loose
03-06-2005, 07:20 PM
there are no lable's on it but there are some markings. i thought u could tell but looking at the markings on the stick.

Duffman
03-06-2005, 07:22 PM
If you download a program like AIDA31 or SISANDRA they will tell you.

tesco
03-06-2005, 07:28 PM
but then it would have to be in your computer, he wants to know by just looking at it.

Post any information on the sticks maybe we can find something on google. :unsure:

foot loose
03-06-2005, 07:29 PM
i know about those progs

thanks

foot loose
03-06-2005, 07:30 PM
but then it would have to be in your computer, he wants to know by just looking at it.

Post any information on the sticks maybe we can find something on google. :unsure:

just say you wanted to buy ram and there were no lable's on it how wouls u tell what it is. and there was no access to the net at the time

tesco
03-06-2005, 07:43 PM
just say you wanted to buy ram and there were no lable's on it how wouls u tell what it is. and there was no access to the net at the time
then the person selling you it would have to tell you, or read the packaging if it has any.

fkdup74
03-06-2005, 07:43 PM

if you cant identify it...
meaning you dont know what youre buying...
dont buy it, sheesh :frusty:

-edit- if youre buying from an individual, this is what i have done in the past...
take your rig with you, (just the case, with the components installed of course)
along with some kind of mem tester app...
hook it up to one his/her monitors, keyboards..
install the RAM right there at the person's place and TEST it
(the ultimate boot cd does nice in those situations, or make you a memtest boot disk)
if he/she doesnt wanna let you test it first before buying...
tell em to fuck off :)

foot loose
03-06-2005, 07:57 PM
if you cant identify it...
meaning you dont know what youre buying...
dont buy it, sheesh :frusty:
yeh i know that.

this is what im doing. im using one puter to serf the net and im building another puter at the same time. i have around 5 different dimms with no lables on them.
i know one of them is a 128 and i know ive got a 256 but i have also got 2 16's and a 64 meg dimm. i don't want to have to log off the net and take out the keyboard/mouse/moniter/modem etc.... and hook up the one im building just to swap around and see what ram is what.

fkdup74
03-06-2005, 08:09 PM
yeh i know that.

this is what im doing. im using one puter to serf the net and im building another puter at the same time. i have around 5 different dimms with no lables on them.
i know one of them is a 128 and i know ive got a 256 but i have also got 2 16's and a 64 meg dimm. i don't want to have to log off the net and take out the keyboard/mouse/moniter/modem etc.... and hook up the one im building just to swap around and see what ram is what.

ahhhhh........
well you may not have a choice
got a digicam? post some pics :P

just a guess, but...
i wuold think the 256 would have smaller and possibly more chips on the wafer