PDA

View Full Version : Computer Randomly Reboots

silent h3ro
03-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Ok so if I'm copying files from a CD or DVD and I'll get like halfway through it and my PC will freeze up for a sec and reboot. I get no BSOD, it just reboots. It will also happen if I install FarCry. I'll get to disk 2 and then half way throuh that it wil freeze and then reboot. This started happening when I got a new mobo. Will I need a new mobo? ( :( ) :helpsmili

Snee
03-07-2005, 09:10 PM
First of all, have you turned off rebooting at system errors?

Control panel>System properties>advanced>Startup and recovery> De-select "automatically restart"

Try it and post any errors messages you might get, if it's not off already.

Secondly, how are your temps? And how good is your PSU?

And is the fan on your northbridge working, if you have one?

silent h3ro
03-07-2005, 11:33 PM
First of all, have you turned off rebooting at system errors?

Control panel>System properties>advanced>Startup and recovery> De-select "automatically restart"

Try it and post any errors messages you might get, if it's not off already.

Secondly, how are your temps? And how good is your PSU?

And is the fan on your northbridge working, if you have one? Alright I deselected auto restart. My PSU is 500 watts and the temp in my case right now is 77.5 F. I had to reformat because I couldnt even get into Windows after I attempted to repair it. :(

Virtualbody1234
03-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Alright I deselected auto restart. My PSU is 500 watts and the temp in my case right now is 77.5 F. I had to reformat because I couldnt even get into Windows after I attempted to repair it. :(
And... What is it doing now?

fkdup74
03-08-2005, 01:24 AM
This started happening when I got a new mobo.
:whistling
test your RAM...the ultimate boot cd, memtest, etc are all free
could be your RAM & mobo arent getting along

silent h3ro
03-08-2005, 01:52 AM
test your RAM...the ultimate boot cd, memtest, etc are all free
could be your RAM & mobo arent getting alongWell I already got 2 new sticks of 512 MB PC 3500 RAM and they still arent getting along so I might just get a new Asus mobo or something because my last Abit mobo never had these problems. :dry: Plus my SATA drive is prolly fucked because I formatted it like 10 times in the past month. :(

silent h3ro
03-08-2005, 01:53 AM
And... What is it doing now? Still fucking rebooting. :dry: :(

fkdup74
03-08-2005, 02:40 AM
Well I already got 2 new sticks of 512 MB PC 3500 RAM and they still arent getting along so I might just get a new Asus mobo or something because my last Abit mobo never had these problems.

run the tests before you go and buy/RMA anything
test the PSU too, may as well
an ATX power tester will run you about 10-15 bucks
(yes, its more money, but worth it IMO)

Virtualbody1234
03-08-2005, 04:14 AM
:dry: Plus my SATA drive is prolly fucked because I formatted it like 10 times in the past month. :(
Formatting a drive does not do any damage to it.

peat moss
03-08-2005, 04:23 AM
I had a major cluster fuk on a friends computer this weekend . Bloody thing would reboot and reboot , and then power died . Opened up the case ........there was so much dust and dirt bunnies on the power supply fan that it would start then shut down. I vacumed it problem solved! I'm not saying thats your problem, but its the little things, like driver problems aswell that need to be looked at. :)

Edit: I thought it was his power supply I opened the case to swap it out . then saw the problem . Point is it it can be so many things ! :frusty:

Storm
03-08-2005, 06:45 PM
a 500 W PSU doesnt nessicarily mean that its good........
could mean 200W power, 300W oven :(

numbers dont say shit.....

and the most important question: has this allways been this way? or did it use to work?

silent h3ro
03-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Formatting a drive does not do any damage to it. Omg thats relieving, lol.

silent h3ro
03-08-2005, 08:33 PM
a 500 W PSU doesnt nessicarily mean that its good........
could mean 200W power, 300W oven :(

numbers dont say shit.....

and the most important question: has this allways been this way? or did it use to work? My PC started going crazy when I put in this POS Gigabyte mobo.

silent h3ro
03-09-2005, 01:32 AM
So should I get a new mobo? :unsure:

Formula1
03-09-2005, 01:39 AM
you probably didnt hook a hard ware right, or you overclocked something too high that your system cant handle it ;)

edit: A gigabyte motherboard , what the fuck ? You should have gotten atleast a msi neo2 platinum ;)

tesco
03-09-2005, 02:02 AM
there may be some missing drivers that you need, or like forumla said, or the board is possibly just shit.

silent h3ro
03-09-2005, 02:02 AM
you probably didnt hook a hard ware right, or you overclocked something too high that your system cant handle it ;)

edit: A gigabyte motherboard , what the fuck ? You should have gotten atleast a msi neo2 platinum ;) Yeah fuck, why did I get a Gigabyte mobo? :( Well I think I'll just have to get a new mobo. I'm thinking more along the lines of an Asus SLI board. :) Can neone recommend me one? :unsure:

silent h3ro
03-09-2005, 02:04 AM
there may be some missing drivers that you need, or like forumla said, or the board is possibly just shit. I installed all the drivers on the driver disc that came with the mobo. :unsure: I'd say its shit. :dry:

SingaBoiy
03-09-2005, 02:18 AM
You havent been having much luck with that new system of yours :(

My system is running fine now that I formatted my hd (it was having driver problems from the old mobo/cpu). Now all I need to do is fix my problem with not being connectable and I can upload @ 96 kB/s :D

Get on aim

silent h3ro
03-09-2005, 02:20 AM
You havent been having much luck with that new system of yours :(

My system is running fine now that I formatted my hd (it was having driver problems from the old mobo/cpu). Now all I need to do is fix my problem with not being connectable and I can upload @ 96 kB/s :D

Get on aim U got ur new pc? :01: Lemme dl AIM and I;ll be on in a sec.

lynx
03-09-2005, 12:33 PM
What are your voltages, in particular VCore. You may need something like MBM or Speedfan to check properly.

Your PSU may be ok, but if the voltages generated by the board itself are too low for the processor or memory random reboots would be a typical problem.

If they are low it may be possible to increase them via the bios.

Also, i noticed you've got new memory too. Some high performance memory needs a higher voltage than standard, check what your's requires.

clocker
03-09-2005, 01:07 PM
Yeah fuck, why did I get a Gigabyte mobo? :( Well I think I'll just have to get a new mobo. I'm thinking more along the lines of an Asus SLI board. :) Can neone recommend me one? :unsure:
We've built 4 Gigabyte 939 systems in the past few weeks and have had no stability issues whatsoever.
In fact, right now I would recommend the GA series over any other brand.
Since these are still very early days for the nForce4 chipset I value stability over (potential) performance (as reputed for the MSI/DFI variants).

After reading your initial post, the first thing that I would have done is replace the drive/check jumper settings/make sure the BIOS is set correctly/try an alternate IDE header.
You don't say (so I am assuming not) that this problem occurs under any other conditions, so the optical drive itself (or settings pertaining to it) seems like the obvious starting point.

Snee
03-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Don't be so quick to diss the mobo, GG.

I remember I helped you find drivers for it a while ago btw, unless I've got the wrong person.

Was it the same before and after you'd installed them (if it was you)?

Or did you just get the sound drivers?

Oh and listen to lynx, may we have a look at your voltage levels?

silent h3ro
03-10-2005, 01:01 AM
Don't be so quick to diss the mobo, GG.

I remember I helped you find drivers for it a while ago btw, unless I've got the wrong person.

Was it the same before and after you'd installed them (if it was you)?

Or did you just get the sound drivers?

Oh and listen to lynx, may we have a look at your voltage levels? Yea actually u told me where to get the sound drivers for my mobo and it fixed the problem. As someone said before, could I be missing some drivers?
@clocker- I'm not sure what the vcore is. :unsure:

silent h3ro
03-10-2005, 05:23 PM
How do I check my voltage levels?

fkdup74
03-10-2005, 05:29 PM
How do I check my voltage levels?

You may need something like MBM or Speedfan to check properly.

silent h3ro
03-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Oh lol I dident see that.

silent h3ro
03-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Is this it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/Gam3Guy/voltages.jpg

Snee
03-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Well, as far as I know, the vcore looks ok :unsure: haven't got one of those myself to check it with tho'.

Is the vcore2 value the vdimm? :unsure:

And what is the temp3 value?

EDit: Maybe you should try and get the chipset drivers from the site as well.

silent h3ro
03-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Alright well I just installed the chipset drivers and rebooted and tryed installing FarCry (to see if it would reboot or not) and it froze up and rebooted. What now?? :(

silent h3ro
03-10-2005, 06:45 PM
After reading your initial post, the first thing that I would have done is replace the drive/check jumper settings/make sure the BIOS is set correctly/try an alternate IDE header.
You don't say (so I am assuming not) that this problem occurs under any other conditions, so the optical drive itself (or settings pertaining to it) seems like the obvious starting point. How would I do any of that?

silent h3ro
03-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Anyone?? :( I'll post the error when it reboots next.

silent h3ro
03-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Ok let me clarify this. It doesnt just randomly reboot in Windows, it will reboot if I am playing a game or something which leads me to the suspicion that one of my drives is causing this, although this never happened with my old mobo.

numba1xclusive
03-12-2005, 09:45 PM
How would I do any of that?

to access your BIOS, when ur system is booting, press one of the F keys. I have to use F12. It should say BIOS setup or something like that right when it boots.

silent h3ro
03-12-2005, 10:01 PM
to access your BIOS, when ur system is booting, press one of the F keys. I have to use F12. It should say BIOS setup or something like that right when it boots. Yeah I think its the delete button for me but I don't know what is correct and what is not in the BIOS.

fkdup74
03-12-2005, 10:32 PM
Is this it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v520/Gam3Guy/voltages.jpg

what in the blue hell is running at 69C? :ohmy:
thats a little warm, for any component in the PC

what optical drive is fking up? make & model?
maybe a firmware is needed? :unsure:
or maybe windows isnt playing well with your mobo's IDE controller? :unsure:
is the IDE cahnnel that the optical is on even enabled? :P

so many questions, so little answers.... :P

silent h3ro
03-12-2005, 11:22 PM
what in the blue hell is running at 69C? :ohmy:
thats a little warm, for any component in the PC

what optical drive is fking up? make & model?
maybe a firmware is needed? :unsure:
or maybe windows isnt playing well with your mobo's IDE controller? :unsure:
is the IDE cahnnel that the optical is on even enabled? :P

so many questions, so little answers.... :P Ok I think this (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=27-152-035&DEPA=1) drive is fecking up my PC because when I install from it my PC would reboot after a little bit. Where could I get the firmware for it? How would I be able to tell if Windows is working well with my IDE controller? And where do I check if the IDE channel is enabled? :blink:

clocker
03-12-2005, 11:53 PM
where do I check if the IDE channel is enabled? :blink:
Device manager will tell you if the drivers are loaded and the device is enabled.
You can also check in BIOS to ensure that the IDE controllers are turned on.

silent h3ro
03-13-2005, 02:08 AM
Device manager will tell you if the drivers are loaded and the device is enabled.
You can also check in BIOS to ensure that the IDE controllers are turned on. Ok thx I'll check.

Chewie
03-13-2005, 01:21 PM
I'm assuming, since you mention fitting a new mobo but not CPU, that you moved the CPU from your old board to the new one. Did you clean off and reapply fresh heatsink compound?

silent h3ro
03-13-2005, 01:33 PM
I'm assuming, since you mention fitting a new mobo but not CPU, that you moved the CPU from your old board to the new one. Did you clean off and reapply fresh heatsink compound? No not at first but I had a computer guy look at my pc and he said he reapplied some. Btw I checked the BIOS and it looks right to me. :blink: