PDA

View Full Version : Connecting notebook to pc

keyser_soze
03-08-2005, 08:58 PM
I'm totally noobed up on networking pc's so where do I start connecting my work laptop to my home desktop? The home pc has lan and wifi and various connections usb, fire wire and I think the laptop has all the same stuff so where do I start? I'll get off on the right path in here before I start shopping :)

DarthInsinuate
03-08-2005, 09:42 PM
if both have Windows XP i think it's as simple as plugging them together with a crossover cable, unless i'm forgetting some vital steps :unsure:

tesco
03-08-2005, 09:47 PM
yup pretty much just that but you should run the network setup wizard, make sure both computer have a different computer name and both are on the same workgroup (these are in the wizard).

keyser_soze
03-08-2005, 10:35 PM
So whats the lan all about then do I need to add some hardware to use it or do I need to just activate it in someway? which connections do I connect them together with the firewire? and 1 more thing will I be able to use my pcs internet connection or have to set up my broadband modem onto the laptop and use the same connection setting as my desktop?

I was'nt joking about the noobness eh :D thanks so far guys.

tesco
03-08-2005, 10:39 PM
does the router plug in by usb or ethernet? (ethernet looks like a slgihtly larger phone jack plug).
If it's etherent then you will need to buy a router (or a wireless router) if you want the internet connection on both computers.
If it's USB i'm not sure how but I think you can share the connection with the other computer.

Your using network/lan cards, not firewire.

lynx
03-08-2005, 11:43 PM
If they've both got wifi, you just need to make sure they are both set to use ad-hoc connection (and identical wep encryption if you've set that up) and they should be able to talk to each other, no extra equipment needed.

If one or both isn't wifi enabled then you need to connect them via the ethernet ports. If there will only ever be the 2 PCs you can simply get a cross-over cable and connect them together.

In either of those situations you need to set up ICS on the home PC and tell the laptop to connect via that - easy.

If you want to connect more than 2 PC's together or you want the laptop to be able to connect to the internet without switching on the home PC you would be best advised to get a combined modem/router, and consider a wireless one if any of your equipment supports it (or may do in the near future).

keyser_soze
03-09-2005, 09:23 PM
My desktop has wifi because I can remember seeing it on the box when I fitted the board although it meant nothing to me at the time :) My notebook also says wifi certified on a sticker on the back but how do I enable it?

lynx
03-09-2005, 09:42 PM
A little info about make/model would be useful (both desktop & laptop). :rolleyes:

I would have expected the drivers to be installed already, but needing config. Some types have their own config software, others simply use windows wireless zero configuration setup. I can tell you how to do it with the Asus wifi setup prog, but it's been a while since I've used the built in windows one.

As it happens though, I will probably be doing exactly that tomorrow so I can probably advise you after that, assuming that's what you need. Someone else can probably tell you before that though.

keyser_soze
03-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Looks Like im luck lol My boards an asus a78nxe-deluxe and my laptops an acer 1670 aspire so any advice on setting up the wifi on an asus board would be a great help :cool:

keyser_soze
03-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Doh looks I've just realised that even though I have a wifi board I still need an antenna to go with it :blushing: so I reckon I'm back to ethernet cable or usb, still not sure how the lan works though.

tesco
03-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Then you will probably want a crossover cable to plug between your computer and the laptop's network cards.

you still ahven't mentioned if your modem is usb, ethernet, or something else.

keyser_soze
03-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Sorry m8 my modem is usb, just to keep you up to speed with whats going on at the minute I bought a crossover cable today and tried this out which worked, my firewall recognised the connection, I gave it permission and I transferred some files to my laptop(although I coul'nt seem to get connected to the internet on my laptop through my desktop. I think I'll look into wireless networking later as I'll be mainly using the laptop in another room from my desktop but for now is there anyway I can delete all my networking settings and start again with the cable as I did that much experimenting TBH I don't know where I'm at now and would just like to start again from fresh.
Another query I have is will I need to set up two network connections because I need to be able to network my laptop with both my work pc and my home pc?
All your help appreciated. :)

browser
03-10-2005, 10:38 PM
When you say "will you", do you mean after you get a wireless connection or simply using a crossover cable?

keyser_soze
03-10-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm planning on just using the crossover cable for now and getting wireless later on.

lynx
03-10-2005, 11:19 PM
Assuming your pc has only one ethernet port you will need some sort of ethernet switch (maybe as part of a router) to connect more than 2 computers together at the same time.

On the other hand if one of the computer has 2 ethernet ports it can be used as a network bridge and can connect all 3 computers together.

browser
03-10-2005, 11:31 PM
I assumed you were talking about a home computer at home connected to the laptop, and when you go to work, to connect it to your PC there.

If that is the case, apart from carrying your crossover cable around, you just need to specify a workgroup on either PC, and then make the laptop join the correct workgroup depending on your location

keyser_soze
03-10-2005, 11:47 PM
So how do I clear my old network connection which Im not sure Ive set up right and start again from fresh?

tesco
03-11-2005, 12:14 AM
just run the net work setup wizard and it should redo all of the settings

keyser_soze
03-11-2005, 07:14 PM
cheers for that I did the network setup and changed a few settings, I still can't connect to the internet with my laptop, an efriend suggested I might have to enter the ip address of my desktop in the laptop( or other way round) so I can connect through my pc as host but was'nt sure how I got my computer i.p or where to enter it on my laptop, any help?

keyser_soze
03-26-2005, 10:45 PM
job sorted with the cable wireless now being a major head ache :D