PDA

View Full Version : XP refusing to update...why?

Expire
03-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Is anyone getting problems updating XP right now? because when I try, Im getting an error message on the update site.

It says i need to enable automatic updates in services, thing is, it is enabled. Its on auto and its started, so This ones cleared my head.

Any ideas would be nice...thnx

{I}{K}{E}
03-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Did you scan for virusses spy/adware etc... ?? maybe something is blocking the windows update.

Expire
03-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Did you scan for virusses spy/adware etc... ?? maybe something is blocking the windows update.

Hmmm...Im pretty sure i dont have anything on my PC as I have various auto scans every knight to check shit.

But ill Ill do it know, see if i have. Could they be another simple problem for this? it was fine yesterday.

baccyman
03-10-2005, 07:19 PM
have you got the automatic updates turned off in the control panel. that gives me the same message when i have updates turned off there. also if you use a prog called xp antispy that will turn auto updates off aswell.

nostalgia
03-10-2005, 07:24 PM
It is the exact failure I got. I had to turn on automatic updates through the security center, after that updat worked so I updated and after that I turned automatic updates off again.

Expire
03-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Yes Baccyman, I do usually, but ive already tried turning auto on just to see if it would work...I had no luck:(

Its really wierd how it has suddenly stopped, just like that?

Expire
03-10-2005, 08:09 PM

OK, Ive finished my scanning session with Spybot, AVG and Adaware SE...Im clean man.

Any more suggestions people, or is it time for me to kick the fuck out of my PC?

Virtualbody1234
03-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Is it possible that Microsoft is starting to block updates for invalid PID?

tesco
03-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Background Intellegence Transfer Service, Cryptographic Services, Event Log and Automatic Updates all have to be started and set to automatic (possibly manual :unsure:) in services.msc (start>run>services.msc) to do windows update.
Are they?

Also for some reason your windows time has to be set to the right year, month and date to update.

Snee
03-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Windows update works without a hitch for me.

Expire
03-10-2005, 10:13 PM
It was the Cryptographic Services Rossco :) so thnx.
I was messing with the services today and I thought the only service needed for updates was the Auto update.

Oh well, learn sommet every day

DanB
03-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Windows update works without a hitch for me.

Same here :)

tesco
03-10-2005, 11:16 PM
It was the Cryptographic Services Rossco :) so thnx.
I was messing with the services today and I thought the only service needed for updates was the Auto update.

Oh well, learn sommet every day
np glad u got it figured out. :)

fkdup74
03-10-2005, 11:50 PM
Background Intellegence Transfer Service, Cryptographic Services, Event Log and Automatic Updates all have to be started and set to automatic (possibly manual :unsure:) in services.msc (start>run>services.msc) to do windows update.
Are they?

Also for some reason your windows time has to be set to the right year, month and date to update.

for me all those services HAVE to be on auto (manual dont work)
i can have auto update turned off in my computer > properties > automatic updates,
but the services have to be on auto
(this is on SP1)

-edit- oops, didnt see the post at the top of the page :rolleyes: :P

tesco
03-10-2005, 11:55 PM
for me all those services HAVE to be on auto (manual dont work)
i can have auto update turned off in my computer > properties > automatic updates,
but the services have to be on auto
(this is on SP1)

-edit- oops, didnt see the post at the top of the page :rolleyes: :P
yup same in sp2.
wasn't sure about manual, now i know. :)

Vargas
03-11-2005, 01:07 AM
yeah i had to turn autoupdate to get patches, then it tried to install SP2 without my permission GRRR

Harsh!
03-11-2005, 01:53 AM
Are they?

That would be where Id start!! :)