PDA

View Full Version : Computer shutdowns..won't start for awhile...what the hell happing?

sameer0807
03-10-2005, 07:47 PM
Hi,

I dunno what's going on with my computer...but my computer shutdowns...and it won't start for atleast 2 mins. I haven't installed anything new...no new hardware installed...

First when this was happing i thought it might be because of spyware or virus...so i just did a clean installation of winxp pro.....but this is happing again.....even after clean installation of winxp pro.

When my computer shuts down....i can see that my computer power is still running.....but there is nothing on the monitor, its blank......i have checked the connection between monitor and computer...everything looks alright to me.....

This is so wired....the computer shuts down but the power is still there.....then i have to switch off the computer main power supply for 2 mins and start again and the computer works fine for awhile....(1 hr or so, may be less sometimes)

This is happing randomally.....i dunno what is causing this...I'm so annoyed by this.

Please help me !

Here are my computer spces:
MICROSOFT WIN XP PRO, SERVICE PACK 2
AMD ATHLON XP 2600+
2.09 GHz
768 MB OR RAM

Virtualbody1234
03-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Sounds like overheating. Check all your fans.

sameer0807
03-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Sounds like overheating. Check all your fans.

the fans are working.....

Virtualbody1234
03-10-2005, 08:59 PM
What are the temps?

tesco
03-10-2005, 09:32 PM
You don't explain shutting down very well. Does it actually go through the shutdown process (says shutting down windows) or does the screen just all of a sudden go blank?

If it's the second one then I agree with vb1234 and it's most likely overheating. You can find out your temps by installing a program like speedfan or motherboardmonitor 5, or you might be able to check in your bios.

sameer0807
03-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Does it actually go through the shutdown process (says shutting down windows) or does the screen just all of a sudden go blank?

The screen just all of a sudden go blank...

You can find out your temps by installing a program like speedfan or motherboardmonitor 5
I'll do that!

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-11-2005, 01:12 AM
mine does this also on occasion because my cmos chip is screwed. i was supposed to send the board back to asus, but im too busy downloading to be bothered ATM. heres what mine does:
Hit shutdown from the start menu, pc seems to shut down, but not fully.
try to restart after pulling the plug and plugging it back in, and it just sits there with power on but never posts, no hard drive activity.
I wait for a few minutes, and all works as it should. I know mine isnt overheating, especially after the nice convo with an asus tech (i have also recorded the temps over time, and it never overheated). But then again, my bios likes to reset back to 1999, so i have a few more problems than you got ATM. :)