PDA

View Full Version : Windows wont let me delete certain files off my HDD.

Formula1
03-12-2005, 06:53 PM
When i try to delete a file off my hard drive, i get a message from windows stating that access is denied to delete the file. The file is 0KB and it really cant be opened with any program. I have administrator privelages , and when i logged in as administrator in safe mode , i still wasnt able to delete the file. Does anyone have some sort of solution of how i would delete this file please ?

Snee
03-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Depends on what kind of file it is.

If it isn't important at all one idea might be to try and edit out any references to it your registry. It might also be in use by a running process, so that process might need to be terminated, but of course, if it's a process windows needs to work then you can't do that.

fkdup74
03-12-2005, 08:11 PM
what kind of file? file name?
or are you not at liberty to disclose that kind of info :P
as snny said, if its a windows file, you could be SOL
if its a NON-windows-critical kinda file....
you can try it in DOS or some kind of "delete on reboot" app
there are some, i just cant think of what they are ATM :unsure:

EXAMPLES (for DOS deletion)

del test.tmp = Deletes the test.tmp in the directory that you currently are in, if the file exists.
del c:\windows\test.tmp = Delete the c:\windows\test.tmp in the windows directory if it exists.
del c:\windows\temp\*.* = (* is for wild character(s)) *.* indicates that you would like to delete all files in the c:\windows\temp directory.
del c:\windows\temp\?est.tmp = (? is a single wild character for one letter) This command would delete any file ending with est.tmp such as pest.tmp or zest.tmp...

Snee
03-12-2005, 08:13 PM
You could always delete it from another OS if you've got a multiboot system or Knoppix. Linux can't write to ntfs tho'.

Harsh!
03-12-2005, 08:32 PM
Turn of WFP, then you can do anything with windows....
Use this tool attached if you dont know how

zedaxax
03-12-2005, 08:45 PM
This program will delete anything
see attachment

Snee
03-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Turn of WFP, then you can do anything with windows....
Use this tool attached if you dont know how
Then there's no safeguard if the file is supposed to be there. WFP caches/checks system files so they can be replaced if a file goes missing.

Turning it off if you know what you are doing is OK, but I don't think it's Formula's thing, really.

EDit: And I hope that tool lets him turn it on just as easily if he uses it, 'cos turning it off also makes you more susceptible to viruses.

Harsh!
03-13-2005, 04:34 AM
Then there's no safeguard if the file is supposed to be there. WFP caches/checks system files so they can be replaced if a file goes missing.

Turning it off if you know what you are doing is OK, but I don't think it's Formula's thing, really.

EDit: And I hope that tool lets him turn it on just as easily if he uses it, 'cos turning it off also makes you more susceptible to viruses.

More susceptible to viruses?? how so?
Half the crap its protecting doesnt need to be there which is why Billy Gates and his Merry Men invented WFP, )...You dont really believe that crap about WFP protecting critical system files do you?Its like the Windows Firewall, it does fuck all when it comes down to it...If you accidentally delete something critical, its a 2 minute journey into "Recovery Console" with your installation CD to replace it....

The file I posted lets you turn on\off WFP at will...SAFE mode only...
Ive got a better one somewhere that lets you do it on the fly with no reboot required...
Ive found it real good for getting rid of all the junk Windows comes with

sparsely
03-13-2005, 05:23 AM
viruses that could overwrite critical files if protection is disabled.

anyway, we really nned more info, Formula1. is it just one particular file?
...and what's the filetype, location, etc. if it is.

Formula1
03-13-2005, 05:34 AM
One of these files came with the Unreal tournament 2004 demo, when i try to delete the game's folder , i get an error stating "cannot delete server admin file , acess denied". Another file i can delete is a file that came with a an album i tried to get off of bittorrent, its just a random file that came with the album, and windows wont let me delete it.
@Zedaxax, that program doesnt work at all :(

Harsh!
03-13-2005, 05:44 AM

lol..
What a hoot!!
What did he say??
Oh thats right, Itll delete anything...
Maybe he should use it to delete it self!!!!

@ Formula1
go grab this program(WhoLockMe!) to see what process is "locking" the file
http://www.dr-hoiby.com/WhoLockMe/index.php

http://www.dr-hoiby.com/WhoLockMe/SnapShot.gif

Then we can work on killing the process with the "lock" on the file and deleting it

It may or may not tell you which process is locking your file\folders you want to delete...Just try it and see

Formula1
03-15-2005, 11:43 PM
what kind of file? file name?
or are you not at liberty to disclose that kind of info :P
as snny said, if its a windows file, you could be SOL
if its a NON-windows-critical kinda file....
you can try it in DOS or some kind of "delete on reboot" app
there are some, i just cant think of what they are ATM :unsure:

EXAMPLES (for DOS deletion)

del test.tmp = Deletes the test.tmp in the directory that you currently are in, if the file exists.
del c:\windows\test.tmp = Delete the c:\windows\test.tmp in the windows directory if it exists.
del c:\windows\temp\*.* = (* is for wild character(s)) *.* indicates that you would like to delete all files in the c:\windows\temp directory.
del c:\windows\temp\?est.tmp = (? is a single wild character for one letter) This command would delete any file ending with est.tmp such as pest.tmp or zest.tmp...

How exactly would i get to bios and do this ? at Harsh , i'll try out the link....

orcutt989
03-16-2005, 01:06 AM
Can't you just start in Safe Mode, and delete the file?

Formula1
03-16-2005, 01:09 AM
Please, read my first post..

Harsh!
03-16-2005, 01:15 AM
How exactly would i get to bios and do this ? at Harsh , i'll try out the link....

Bring up a CMD prompt , use Task Manager to kill Explorer, Delete unwanted file(s), using Delete command and path to file(s)

Then use Task Manager to restart Explorer. ("File\NewTask - "explorer.exe"\ ok")

On the fly with no reboot required, thats how I keep my system running for weeks at a time with no reboots etc

Harsh!
03-16-2005, 01:20 AM
And heres a program I found installed on my box that "deletes on reboot" or "on-demand"

http://www.jrtwine.com/Products/DelFXPFiles/

Crack is freely available, PM if you want my one...

orcutt989
03-16-2005, 02:44 AM
Please, read my first post..

Haha, sorry. I apologise for that.

zedaxax
03-16-2005, 09:22 AM

Works for me everytime
to delete the file - mark "end explorer.." then clik the Red X
if the file won't delete
then
mark "delete on reboot" and "end explorer.."
then press the Red X
reboot
fixed

lol..
What a hoot!!
What did he say??
Oh thats right, Itll delete anything...
Maybe he should use it to delete it self!!!!

having fun? :1eye:

Harsh!
03-16-2005, 05:17 PM
A little bit mate..
Thanks for the laugh...

Ive tried all those sort of programs and have yet to find one that deletes files in use