PDA

View Full Version : lsass.exe Systems Error

matt526
03-13-2005, 10:15 PM
I just did a systems restore on my father in-laws HP Computer with Windows XP_Home, it was a real mess :blink:
He was running high speed internet, with no antivirus or anti spy-ware software for a good year.
Anyway after I did the systems restore from the files stored on a back up section of his hard drive, windows begins to start, but then I get a
Systems Error:
lsass.exe
“When trying to update password the return status indicates that the value provided for the correct password is incorrect”
Then it will restart the Computer and do it all over again.
As far as I know he has never had a password to get into the computer.
Can anybody lead me in the right direction. :helpsmili

Thanks

By the way I know I will have to reinstall windows, but his computer did not come with a restore CD all the restore files are on his hardrive :angry:
so if there is any way to boot from that section of the harddrive that would be great.

Izagaia
03-13-2005, 10:50 PM
"lsass.exe" is a system process of the Microsoft Windows security mechanisms. It specifically deals with local security and logon poliices.

Rather than using System Restore (which is a maybe it will work, maybe not proposition at best that really does not solve your problem), perhaps it would be a far better alternative to actually remove what ails the system in the first place.

You download and run any number of freeware anti-virus, trojan and spyware scanning applications. Use the results to take you to the problem itself and deal with them individually. System Restore does not actually delete any files but only reverts the system back to a "check point" or a previous configuration. Any files accumulated remain in the meantime to possibly still cause further harm.

If your system ran fine (meaning fine as in you could logon alright) previously, undo your system restoration and install a shareware application called "Counterspy" from http://www.sunbelt-software.com . While it would only be an unregistered evaluation copy, you could utilize it to scan/purge your system of malwares and uninstall any applications interfering with normal operation and then use its various tools to solve any of the system's settings problems. Of course this is a software-based solution that is not guaranteed to work. Someone else may be able to prescribe a technical fix of sorts.

Harsh!
03-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Heres the full version of CounterSpy.....

ed2k Link - Counterspy.1.0.25 (ed2k://|file|Counterspy.1.0.25.zip|11652213|1b61267a858f5cae4f34a29d896e7353|/) - 11.11 MB

Harsh!
03-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Tried booting into SafeMode and running a few cleaners etc??

matt526
03-13-2005, 11:12 PM
Tried booting into SafeMode and running a few cleaners etc??
Yes I tried safe mode and everyother mode with no luck
I can't get into windows no matter what I do.

Harsh!
03-13-2005, 11:40 PM
Unplug the power cord to your comp for 30 seconds and then retry starting windows.....
Just having a nosy now for a few solutions
Got a Windows CD handy by any chance??
I know you said this is one of those bloody "intergrated" window installs

Harsh!
03-13-2005, 11:46 PM
ok...
Ive got news for you and its all bad....

Having looked through various answers they all come to the same conclusion, a completely clean re-install, although you could try having a look and see if using any of the suggestions on this page helphttp://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm

Try googling for the error message your getting

lsass.exe - When trying to update password the return status indicates that the value provided for the correct password is incorrect

I gotta ask, was it necessary to do this??:no:

Anyway after I did the systems restore

EDIT: Try this link.....

http://www.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin/2003-12/4593.html

and this one

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-14-2005, 12:10 AM
its a sasser virus i do believe. you need a scanner that will scan prior to boot up

matt526
03-14-2005, 12:53 AM
Yep, it was necessary
And yes I will probably reinstall windows
From a CD I have for my computer
I was hoping for a quick fix but from what I have found on google
It doesn’t look that good