PDA

View Full Version : Defrag/Which service is needed?

Expire
03-15-2005, 11:14 PM
Not long ago I was messing around with my services, I thought I had disabled all the services I dident need but this is the seconed problem ive had now, when i try and defrag i get an error saying service isent enabled.

So...does anyone know what service I need to enable so Diskeeper will start doing its nighly task again?

Thnx

tesco
03-15-2005, 11:24 PM
The diskeeper defragmenting service is called "Diskeeper."

:P

Expire
03-15-2005, 11:42 PM
The diskeeper defragmenting service is called "Diskeeper."

:P

lol, i know that...that is already enabled but still doesent work, even the windows defrag is saying the same thing. Im guessing theres some OTHER service that windows itself nees for any kind of defraging software to work.

AndrewBarker
03-15-2005, 11:54 PM
it needs the "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" service

Expire
03-15-2005, 11:58 PM
Nope, thats also enabled...screw it. Ill have a good google session tommorow.

AndrewBarker
03-16-2005, 12:04 AM
DiskeeperSystray may need to be enabled at startup

AndrewBarker
03-16-2005, 12:10 AM
dkservice.exe should be running all the time in task manager processes

Expire
03-16-2005, 12:14 AM
B4 i fucked up my services I dident let it start up but it still ran the auto task at night.

Ill give it a go though.

EDIT - Nope just as I thought, that hasent made any difference.
How long do u think my comp will last without a Defrag lol

harrycary
03-16-2005, 12:24 AM
http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/OSguides.htm

Harsh!
03-16-2005, 01:10 AM
Under "Services" Diskeeper should be set to "Automatic" but you can set the service to "Manual" and run it whenever you want with this batch file

net start Diskeeper
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe "C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\Diskeeper.msc"
net stop Diskeeper

*Copy\Paste into notepad, save with ".bat" extension

Should be able to start the service whenever you want(On demand) instead of having it running all the time & using un-neccessary resources

Expire
03-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Under "Services" Diskeeper should be set to "Automatic" but you can set the service to "Manual" and run it whenever you want with this batch file

*Copy\Paste into notepad, save with ".bat" extension

Should be able to start the service whenever you want(On demand) instead of having it running all the time & using un-neccessary resources

Im sorry harsh but What uve said has totally gone over my head???

Could u explain in a simpler way? If there is a simpler way that is.