PDA

View Full Version : Windows Update Problem(Serious)

Flametongue
03-18-2005, 09:37 PM
I had a problem where my pc kept rebooting everytime i logged on. It happened after i downloaded and installed updates from microsoft update page. I had to used system restore and it worked but when i downloaded this update Via Technologies, Inc. - Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM) or maybe it was net framework version 1.1 the rebooting started again. So i had to install a fresh copy of windows now i am worried whether or not to download theses two again. Can you help?

Also becasuse i have not download Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM) i have no sound from my speakers because the device on my computer to which the driver applies does not appear to have a driver installed. A couple of weeks ago Vinyl wasn't there and something like C Media or something like that was there. Anyway i download it and it worked fine.

Could someone advise me on what to do becasue if i do download them and then the rebooting starts again i am screwed. + What can i do about the sound.

Cheers

RPerry
03-18-2005, 09:40 PM
What version of windows are you using, I'll assume Xp and say to turn on your firewall. See if the reboot problem keeps happening .

fkdup74
03-18-2005, 09:51 PM
What can i do about the sound.

Cheers

go to your mobo's web site for the hardware drivers ;)
i never use windows update for hardware related stuff

Flametongue
03-18-2005, 10:06 PM
What version of windows are you using, I'll assume Xp and say to turn on your firewall. See if the reboot problem keeps happening .

I am using xp and i dont have a firewall only the windows internal one. The reboot keeps happening but since i have reinstalled windows and all the other software i am a little nervous becasue if it happens again i am back to square one.

Flametongue
03-18-2005, 10:07 PM
go to your mobo's web site for the hardware drivers ;)
i never use windows update for hardware related stuff

What is mobo's website plus can i have the link.

tesco
03-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Depends what motherbaord you have. :P (tell us)

Flametongue
03-18-2005, 10:52 PM
Ok i will have a look. I will inform you of what it is tommorow becasue its time to go now. Been on the pc nearly the whole day cos of this problem.

sparsely
03-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Never hurts to say again:
DO NOT DOWNLOAD DEVICE DRIVERS FROM WINDOWS UPDATE

get them from the manufacturer's website.

peat moss
03-19-2005, 01:49 AM
Never hurts to say again:
DO NOT DOWNLOAD DEVICE DRIVERS FROM WINDOWS UPDATE

get them from the manufacturer's website.

Boy are they ever old . :lol: A good piece of advice is to hide the hardware updates . It trys to update my video card with 5 year old drivers . :huh:

( Ati 9700 pro )

Flametongue
03-19-2005, 12:46 PM
how do i find the manufacturer's. do i have to open the pc up and have a look. if so is there an easier way + is it necessary to download the NET frame work 1.1 update.

peat moss
03-19-2005, 01:08 PM
There's programs that tell you info of your puter. .

Everest home . http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=1

Belarc Adviser .

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

clocker
03-19-2005, 01:23 PM
is it necessary to download the NET frame work 1.1 update.
That depends.
Some programs (TweakXP for instance) require the NET framework to be installed.
If nothing is refusing to install because NET is missing then you don't need it yet.
Sooner or later you will though.

peat moss
03-19-2005, 01:30 PM
@clocker . I thought of you when posting the Everest link . :D But I don't have the net framework either . Havn't found a need yet.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/technologyinfo/default.aspx

Snee
03-19-2005, 01:37 PM
System restore screws stuff up, might as well start over and format. :P

Flametongue
03-19-2005, 01:53 PM
yeah cheers all for your help i have dowloaded everything and it all works find now. Thanks