PDA

View Full Version : Problem with GeForce ti4600 128MB

Skiz
03-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Okay, I got a new video card but I've got some problems as well. I've upgraded from an ATI Radeon 8500 64MB to an nVidia GeForce ti4600 128MB. Everything seems to be working correctly except for my games, which sucks because that's ultimately why I upgraded in the first place.

My Call of Duty: UO game has no picture at all, just a blank screen. I can still hear the audio though. Any suggestions?

My FarCry game starts to load properly but then goes to a green flickering screen. Again, the audio is fine though. Any suggestions?

I've uninstalled (via add/remove programs in safe mode) all of the old ATI software and drivers. Then I used drivercleaner (http://www.drivercleaner.net/) to make sure I got it all. Then I went to the nVidia site and downloaded this driver (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.84.html), which should work just fine since nVidia uses the same driver for all their cards. I downloaded the driver because I didn't have a disc at all. I put both games on their default or 'optimal' settings and reduced my screen refresh rate for both my monitor to 60 from 75.

Do anyone have any other suggestions because I'm stumped and highly frustrated?

lynx
03-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Most of these games note what sort of hardware you've got when you install them, partly to stop people ripping an image from one system to another, also for a degree of optimisation.

Try reinstalling the games, you may find they work after that.

But was Radeon 8500->Geforce ti4600 really a worthwhile upgrade? Neither of them is DX9 compliant.

Skiz
03-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Most of these games note what sort of hardware you've got when you install them, partly to stop people ripping an image from one system to another, also for a degree of optimisation.

Try reinstalling the games, you may find they work after that.

But was Radeon 8500->Geforce ti4600 really a worthwhile upgrade? Neither of them is DX9 compliant.

A buddy of mine upgraded his, and gave me his old one.

It should be DX9 compatible...I play CoD:UO and FarCry. :huh:

I'll try the reinstall and post back in a bit.

Skiz
03-19-2005, 05:07 PM
Is it possible that when I uninstalled the ATI stuff from the previous video card, that it also uninstalled the DirectX stuff?

tesco
03-19-2005, 05:20 PM
It should be DX9 compatible...I play CoD:UO and FarCry. :huh:
It isn't. :huh:
I don't think COD even uses dx9, not sure about far cry.

Skiz
03-19-2005, 05:30 PM
Not to be arguementative but, I just don't know a whole lot about video cards. If they aren't, how am I playing these games?

http://www.farcry.ubi.com/system.php

http://www.ultimate-gamer.com/cod/cod.htm

tesco
03-19-2005, 05:33 PM
Well first of all they don't work. :P

but anyway they need software directx 9 support, there's no real directx9 (pixel shader 2.0) hardware support from those cards.

The only cards that truly are directx9 compatible are the geforce fx 5200 and higher and the readeon 9500 and higher.

silent h3ro
03-19-2005, 05:37 PM
I thought when u have like a dx 8 card the game would render in 8 instead of 9. :huh:

Skiz
03-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Okay, I just finished a 35 minute uninstall/reinstall session with Farcry and the problem isn't fixed. I'm so pissed off right now...http://img206.exs.cx/img206/9272/mad15xp.gif (http://www.imageshack.us)

I don't know what else to do. :cry1:

lynx
03-20-2005, 12:38 AM
CoD requires DirectX 9.0a software, DirectX 8 Hardware
SUPPORTED CHIPSETS:
ATI® Radeon 7200, 8500, 9000, 9500, 9700, 9800
All NVidia® GeForce™/Geforce FX chipset's

Farcry requires 64 MB DirectX® 9.0b-compatible graphics card - "see list for more info".
Can't find list anywhere but requirements are higher than CoD.

Skiz
03-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Are you basically telling me that this GeForce ti4600 128MB is NOT as good as the Radeon 8500 64MB that I replaced??

lynx
03-20-2005, 10:27 AM
But was Radeon 8500->Geforce ti4600 really a worthwhile upgrade? Neither of them is DX9 compliant.The ti4600 is a little faster and obviously has more memory, but other than that it won't give you any benefits as far as game playing is concerned. When it comes to DX9 games one or the other may or may not be compatible, depending on the game. I'm guessing that Farcry/ti4xxx is one of the not compatibles, but I have never personally used the ti series so I can't be sure.

It's not an upgrade I would have even considered.

Skiz
03-20-2005, 06:45 PM
It's not an upgrade I would have even considered.

It was free. :) A friend upgraded and gave me that one.

Okay, this is what I decided to do...and it worked:

I got tired of not being able to figure out a solution and not being able to play my game anymore. I decided to reinsert my Radeon 8500 64MB into the pc until I figured out a solution. Guess what, I had the same problem when I reinserted that card. You can only imagine my frustration. Then I remembered that I still had the driver disc for that card though and decided to try a complete reinstall with it.. So after a bit of rumaging (spelling?), I found the disc and reinstalled the Radeon 8500 drivers and rebooted. The game is now working. That got me thinking about the proper order of operations and why that just worked. I decided to run System Restore back to Wednesday which was before I started messing with the new card. After I ran system restore, the computer was back to it's old self as it should be. I went and downloaded the drivers again for the GeForce ti4600 128MB but DID NOT install them. I then powered down the pc and put the GeForce card back in the slot. Powered up the computer, waited for Windows to detect it, and ran the drivers. Viola! Finally! Success! Yes, it worked. Everything works great!

The bad news however is that I tried turning up the graphics a bit in Call of Duty:UO, and it lags. I have to put the settings right back where they were with the Radeon 8500 64MB for the game to run properly. Ain't that a bitch...

*Runs off to study overclocking*