PDA

View Full Version : Sony DRU-510A Burnt up..pc won't turn on. What's up??

Wolfmight
03-19-2005, 03:37 PM
My DVD Write Drive SONY DRU-510A just burnt up yesterday due to me using Overdrive mode too much. The sucker literally popped!! Sounded like someone kicked my room's door. BAM!

Yes, well I'm not sure what else has burnt up now since after removing the drive... the system refuses to even start. Nothing, natta zip.

The power supply still clicks when I connect the power cable (could it still be messed up though?) and I don't know about my motherboard.

I will probably end up replacing the motherboard I suppose, but what are your experiences with this kind of stuff? Hell, does it even burn up the CPU?
Son of a @#$%* might have taken a few parts to hell with it.

I don't have any major $$ Cha Ching $$ right now, so I hope it's just the power supply or something.

silent h3ro
03-19-2005, 03:39 PM
Nice. :lol: Sounds like ur drive is fucked up.

tesco
03-19-2005, 03:41 PM
Try a different PSU.
Motherboard could also likely be the problem.
But it's kind of hard to tell what it is without testing with some other parts.

Wolfmight
03-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Nice. :lol: Sounds like ur drive is fucked up.
Yes, I was trying to copy 7 Rented DVDs onto the hardrive in a row.. useing Overdrive speed. Silly Silly of me, I should have known it would blow. Impatience is a bad thing when it comes to computers. (unless they literally freeze...were you could leave it on for a year and it still would be frozen).

Wolfmight
03-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Try a different PSU.
Motherboard could also likely be the problem.
But it's kind of hard to tell what it is without testing with some other parts.
Hmm.. maybe I could buy the PSU and mobo.. try em both. Take one or the other back for refund. (same day should be cool)

Virtualbody1234
03-19-2005, 04:12 PM
It sounds like a capacitor popped in your power supply.

lynx
03-19-2005, 04:18 PM
I can almost guarantee that the original problem is in the PSU, not DVD burner, but you can check that out later. There's no way to get the drive to use more power than it's maximum rating so there's no reason for it to blow the drive.

Have a look at the Mobo, look for any burnt spots and blown caps. Then remove the cover from the PSU and look in there, I predict this is where you will see the problem, caused by overload.

If I'm right go buy a new PSU, and this time don't get the cheapest crap around.
Try your existing setup with the new PSU, if it doesn't work unplug everything unessential from the mobo to get into bios. If it still doesn't work next stop is the mobo.

After that you probably need to come back here if it still doesn't work.

Edit: must type faster.

harrycary
03-19-2005, 07:36 PM
A drive "overpowering' a power supply.

I can't begin to explain how unlikely that is.

Chances are your drive took a dump. Connecting it to another PC will quickly answer that question. Repair is generally out of the question since virtually no one but the mfg has the capability and resources to do so. Even then it's going to be cheaper to replace a drive then repair it.

Accept those facts, make a decision, and move on.

To bad you don't have any money, especially since drives are a dime-a-dozen(read: not very expensive).

Wolfmight
03-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Ok, here's the scoop.

I bought a new 450W PSU that still didn't let the system power up.
I got pissed and took it to a computer repair shop called PC Guru. Those bastards kept it for a week and still didn't even start on it!! I ran in and took it out to another store called Log-Apro PC Repair. These Mofos were awesome...repaired it right when I took it in within less than an hour. They discovered that new PSU was the problem (lacked voltage it claimed), because they tried 2 others higher and lower W that let it power..but that new one didn't! Wtf rare eh!? I noticed it was some new "silent" crap for a fan! Must have been weak.. I need Diesel Fuel, not some methane fart in a gas tank!

Yes, so I payed em $30..and am getting this 580W PSU for $32 off Newegg...highest votes and best rating. POWMAX Demon. should be tight.

Gatta get my $45 back for that 450W Silent P.O.S from Frys.

Looka that!

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/17-163-018-06.JPG
http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/17-163-018-02.JPG
http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/17-163-018-03.JPG

Wolfmight
03-31-2005, 11:45 PM
Damn Damn Damn!!!
I got the new PSU, hooked er up, but I still have a problem!!
CPU Voltage Error..the mobo reset to default values.
^ Says this error everytime. And the computer only boots half the time..Sometimes it refuses to boot completely!

Who here says it's the CPU.

I know the RAM is ok, Checked it ok on bootup
Hardrive is ok, booted it up on another system
Moniter...well duh it's working..new
Floppy Drive... Not sure
CD\DVD drive... None in it right now
Graphics Card..seems to display stuff... no beeps. the fan that resides on the card run ok.
??? an ideas?

zapjb
04-01-2005, 12:03 PM
If the shop said it's the "that new PSU was the problem (lacked voltage it claimed), because they tried 2 others higher and lower W that let it power..but that new one didn't!" The pos PSU you got from newegg won't solve it.
Jeez same freakin thread every fn day different author.

Samurai
04-01-2005, 12:44 PM
this might be a silly question but have you tested the power lead's fuse. if it's damaged slightly or w/e it might need changing, although this shouldn't explain it booting up in the first instance. worth a look anyway/

also look in your case to see if there is any burnt materials inside as lynx said. ensuring you check the wiring too including the molex & ide cables.

TheDave
04-01-2005, 01:42 PM

that would make me paranoid :fear:

Virtualbody1234
04-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Wolfmight, I would like you to meet Formula1: http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=93341

lynx
04-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Just a thought, have you remembered to connect the 4-pin Intel 12v CPU power plug (present on ALL P4 mobos AFAIK, and some AMD mobos) ?

Another thing, what is giving that error? If it is some software after you load windows it may be that the software is configured for the wrong board, so that may not be your problem at all.

If it is none of the above then go back to basics.

Unplug EVERYTHING that you don't need in order to get into the bios setup. That means all the drives, and all connectors on the front and back panels except keyboard, monitor and power.

See what happens. If it seems ok try it several times to be sure. After that connect the devices one at a time and check after each one.

Wolfmight
04-01-2005, 11:50 PM
I think it's the CPU. The thing says CLOCK VOLTAGE was incorrectly configured...reverting to defualts.. Says that everytime tho! MothFo (cker) doesn't want to stay correctly set due to hardware damage I assume. The dvd drive did burn out from me running it at 8x OVERDRIVE mode. P.o.s sony.. Warrenty not avalable *BOOM* AHH I've been shot!
nah april fools, I wouldn't shoot the fools.

btw, communist bastards at powmax!!! BOOO!!:
http://powmax.com/images/line1.jpg

Formula1
04-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Ok, here's the scoop.

I bought a new 450W PSU that still didn't let the system power up.
I got pissed and took it to a computer repair shop called PC Guru. Those bastards kept it for a week and still didn't even start on it!! I ran in and took it out to another store called Log-Apro PC Repair. These Mofos were awesome...repaired it right when I took it in within less than an hour. They discovered that new PSU was the problem (lacked voltage it claimed), because they tried 2 others higher and lower W that let it power..but that new one didn't! Wtf rare eh!? I noticed it was some new "silent" crap for a fan! Must have been weak.. I need Diesel Fuel, not some methane fart in a gas tank!

Yes, so I payed em $30..and am getting this 580W PSU for $32 off Newegg...highest votes and best rating. POWMAX Demon. should be tight.

Gatta get my $45 back for that 450W Silent P.O.S from Frys.

Looka that!

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/17-163-018-02.JPG
http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/17-163-018-03.JPG

I got that exact same power supply and it fucked up right after 5-10 minutes of use... And i returned it back to newegg asap... Most likely the voltages were very unstable. But anyway you may get luck and may work for you. Look at the link VB posted :blushing:

Wolfmight
04-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Hiw the hell do you order 2 bad PSUs in a row!!! DAMMIT, What the hell is going on!!

I knew something was wrong when it turned on automaticly just by plugging it in to the socket. Plus, it flickered.. Wewowewo.. off. Bastards!!! UGH, nervous breakdown. i hate computers now.

zapjb
04-02-2005, 02:52 AM
Buy quality PSU's from now on boys & girls. That's the life lesson here.

Formula1
04-02-2005, 03:16 AM
Hiw the hell do you order 2 bad PSUs in a row!!! DAMMIT, What the hell is going on!!

I knew something was wrong when it turned on automaticly just by plugging it in to the socket. Plus, it flickered.. Wewowewo.. off. Bastards!!! UGH, nervous breakdown. i hate computers now.

rofl yeah, the first time i plugged it in , the psu fans turned and the led lights came on for a second..... Powmax is shit, and newegg needs to stop selling psu's like this, and then expect people to pay for a restock fee! those bastards.

Wolfmight
04-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Ok, what's the best brand and such for powersupply. I want the best.
If I buy the best and get crap, I cut you like you no won me cut you!

GepperRankins
04-05-2005, 02:23 AM
two bad PSUs? ask the shopguy what PSU he used. i'd look again at the mobo though :ermm: