PDA

View Full Version : Firefox question: Having links open in tabs not windows?

Rip The Jacker
03-28-2005, 08:52 PM
Is there any way to force Firefox to open links in new tabs. Like if you normally click a link that opens in a new window, I want it to load in a new tab instead.

Is that possible?

DanB
03-28-2005, 08:59 PM
there are extensions that give you the option, the one i use is tabbrowser extensions

Rip The Jacker
03-28-2005, 09:07 PM
I downloaded and installed it, works like a charm. Thanks DanB! :01:

matteoz
03-28-2005, 09:22 PM
regards DanB!
i realy love this extension!

DanB
03-28-2005, 09:27 PM
No problems, glad to help the FF converts :01:

davec8
03-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Actually, you don't need an extension for that. It's in the options but it's hidden by default. To unhide it type "about:config" (without the quotations of course) in the address bar. Scroll down until you find "browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs". Double click it to change it to true. Now go to Tools>Options>Advanced & put a checkmark in the box that says "Force links that open new windows to open in:", then click on a new tab right underneath it.

peat moss
03-28-2005, 11:05 PM
I was thinking ctrl & T ? Keyboard short cut .

Rip The Jacker
03-29-2005, 12:18 AM
Actually, you don't need an extension for that. It's in the options but it's hidden by default. To unhide it type "about:config" (without the quotations of course) in the address bar. Scroll down until you find "browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs". Double click it to change it to true. Now go to Tools>Options>Advanced & put a checkmark in the box that says "Force links that open new windows to open in:", then click on a new tab right underneath it.
I googled for help and tried this before asking here, and couldn't figure it out. I change the setting to "true" and still don't see anything in the Advanced Options about forcing links to open in a new tab. Oh well, the extention is doing the job.

harrycary
03-29-2005, 12:52 AM
Just press your "ctrl" button when clicking a link.

piece of cake.

Ariel_001
03-29-2005, 12:56 AM
Press the middle button..

peat moss
03-29-2005, 01:09 AM

Is that like the any button ? :D

Money Fist
03-29-2005, 01:12 AM
i thought this was common knowledge
seems i was wrong

davec8
03-29-2005, 01:32 AM
i thought this was common knowledge
seems i was wrong
I think it is common knowledge for most. It's just some people only want to left click on things or they forget to middle click sometimes and are annoyed with multiple windows. I'm not quite sure why my instructions didn't work for Rip. Oh well. Gotta love extensions!

Money Fist
03-29-2005, 01:42 AM
well incase any of u guys dont know
u can close a tab by pressing the middle mouse button on it
very handy indeed

Rip The Jacker
03-29-2005, 01:53 AM
I knew that you can close tabs by middle clicking them, I didn't know middle clicking a link would open it in a tab. :P

The extension is neat though, I wonder what other extensions FF has.

fkdup74
03-29-2005, 02:00 AM
I change the setting to "true" and still don't see anything in the Advanced Options about forcing links to open in a new tab. Oh well, the extention is doing the job.

i got the option, but it still doesnt work for me either :blink:
even by changing the settings in about:config for tabs dont work
i set the values for opening new windows & bookmarks in new tabs to true....
same old story, wont open a new tab
oh well, middle click works, so fk it :P

tesco
03-29-2005, 03:05 AM
I knew that you can close tabs by middle clicking them, I didn't know middle clicking a link would open it in a tab. :P

The extension is neat though, I wonder what other extensions FF has.
Adblock! get it!

Rip The Jacker
03-30-2005, 04:14 AM
Adblock! get it!
Adblock rocks! :01: