PDA

View Full Version : How do you change drive letters in DOS?

Wolfmight
04-12-2005, 03:24 AM
My hardrive's partition letters swapped for some unknown reason. My windows os is on D:\ and my documents partition is on C:\. Windows fails to boot everytime! How can I swap em in Dos to resolve the issue?

Wolfmight
04-12-2005, 03:47 AM
come on, i need an answer quick.

peat moss
04-12-2005, 04:07 AM
Whay o/s ?

Wolfmight
04-12-2005, 04:11 AM
Windows XP

Wolfmight
04-12-2005, 04:12 AM
Whay o/s ?
Dude, I specifically said,"My "windows" os.
:-(

peat moss
04-12-2005, 04:27 AM
Dude, I specifically said,"My "windows" os.
:-(

Well windows has a few different flavours , and different ways of doing things.:)

Doug knox has good advice , third one down.

http://www.dougknox.com/tips/xp_drive_letters.htm

Wolfmight
04-12-2005, 04:35 AM
I can't even run windows to modify windows, so that option is out. I need a bootable floppy that runs software that lets me change the drive letters or boot manager. Uhg, driving me nutts, running around naked

kidding on that last part.

peat moss
04-12-2005, 04:50 AM
Or partion magic or other like tool . Hows about barts boot cd ?

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Wolfmight
04-12-2005, 11:40 AM
bart's boot cd doesn't let you change the drive letters.
I took the HD out and hooked it up slave into another computer here. Running it in windows now. I'm useing a downloaded version of partitionmagic 8 and it appears the Windows Partition was swaped with the storage partition I made awhile back. Windows is Logical, Storage is Primary! I can't seem to figure out how the hell this happend. It was always the other way around. It would take atleast 5 hours to complete such a process. Anyways, I'm swapping them back..gonna take about 3 hours to complete the speed it's going. :-(

Vargas
04-12-2005, 12:06 PM
not sure but editing boot.ini might be a way to boot from D:\

peat moss
04-12-2005, 01:02 PM
bart's boot cd doesn't let you change the drive letters.
I took the HD out and hooked it up slave into another computer here. Running it in windows now. I'm useing a downloaded version of partitionmagic 8 and it appears the Windows Partition was swaped with the storage partition I made awhile back. Windows is Logical, Storage is Primary! I can't seem to figure out how the hell this happend. It was always the other way around. It would take atleast 5 hours to complete such a process. Anyways, I'm swapping them back..gonna take about 3 hours to complete the speed it's going. :-(

I went googling after my last post, see what you mean not a lot of help if you can't boot! :( I was wondering about the ultimate boot disk because of the fdisk tools? It seems to be software related . Hope you get it sorted . :)