PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree with arcade pruning?

tesco
05-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Simple question.

The team has decided to prune high scores in the arcade monthly...more info in this thread (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=94912).

Do you agree with pruning them?

Guillaume
05-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Don't care.

At all.

manker
05-06-2005, 08:47 PM
What arcade :blink:

Busyman
05-06-2005, 08:49 PM
No.

Beat the score. When you play it'll make you better.

I know that's how I got better at anything including videogames.

It's easier when there's an accomplished target.

manker
05-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Even tho' I know not of this arcade devilment, Busy has spoken out to the detriment of this pruning.

Therefore I feel, almost mystically, compelled to offer my full support to rossco and the decision making process that went into this decision. Way to go, team!! :fist:

Vote YES for teh prunage.

http://www.pharmj.com/Editorial/20041127/pictures/p773.jpg

Busyman
05-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Even tho' I know not of this arcade devilment, Busy has spoken out to the detriment of this pruning.

Therefore I feel, almost mystically, compelled to offer my full support to rossco and the decision making process that went into this decision. Way to go, team!! :fist:

That's funny!! Looks like a commercial. :lol: :lol:

enoughfakefiles
05-06-2005, 09:05 PM

Ditto. :lol:

Smith
05-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Ya i agree, ill give me a chance to actually get in the top 10 :P

Also rossco, could you consider adding Kitten Cannon (http://burstfilms.com/games/kitten.php) to the list? I luv that game :)

Busyman
05-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Ya i agree, ill give me a chance to actually get in the top 10 :P
For one month, yes. :lol: :lol:

MCHeshPants420
05-06-2005, 10:14 PM
No.

The high scores should be just that, the high scores from since the arcade was introduced. Not the high scores just for that month, there is already a way to tell the scores for the week which could probably be changed for that month's score.

MCHeshPants420
05-06-2005, 10:22 PM
And what happens when on the 16th of May I beat all of Busyman's scores only for them to be deleted next day? That would suck.

Busyman
05-06-2005, 10:45 PM
No.

The high scores should be just that, the high scores from since the arcade was introduced. Not the high scores just for that month, there is already a way to tell the scores for the week which could probably be changed for that month's score.
For once we agree. Logic speaks in unison.

Busyman
05-06-2005, 10:46 PM
And what happens when on the 16th of May I beat all of Busyman's scores only for them to be deleted next day? That would suck.
My high scores are slipping away. :( Oh well.

Vargas
05-06-2005, 11:02 PM
i guess i should install shockwaveflash one of these days :p

fkdup74
05-06-2005, 11:05 PM
is that why some comments get all buggered up in the scoring?
you guys go in & prune a little here, a little there....
next thing you know I post a comment on a high score,
and instead of inserting my comment...
it quotes one from an older score :blink:

so I gotta say no, no pruning
plus I miss all my scores for Duck Hunt & Seal Bounce :P

as Busy said, it lowers the competition
and I share Hesh's worries of having the high score accidentally removed :ph34r:
why not, as Hesh suggested, make the weekly high scores monthly?

vidcc
05-06-2005, 11:12 PM
They are just games :rolleyes:

I voted who cares and that's not just because my 6 year old was playing on every occasion that has my highest score :yahoo:

MCHeshPants420
05-06-2005, 11:22 PM
For once we agree. Logic speaks in unison.

I think people should vote against pruning if just for this fact alone. :D

Seriously though, if most people don't care or want it to stay as it is then why change it?

RealitY
05-07-2005, 07:13 AM
I think the thought is so that those that want to compete for a high score but cant attain the insanly brilliant and unachivable scores that some of you have gotten may still want to play with the grattification of being on top something that you should know of already. If there will a new set every month then those that are so great at those games will continue to play wanting to reachive what they had done the month prior thus more competetion as the greats will have to regain their victories monthly and the not so greats will have a new chance monthly thus more traffic for the site. I do however think to make this a happy middle ground that there be a place setup for the ALL TIME high score of each game thats showed only that one score for each game thus also giving those that have achieved that thier proper place or such...

JPaul
05-07-2005, 09:38 AM
What does "pruning" mean.

GepperRankins
05-07-2005, 12:42 PM
it's too easy to cheat. :dry:

tesco
05-07-2005, 03:48 PM
What does "pruning" mean.
removing old high scores

Busyman
05-07-2005, 04:39 PM
I think the thought is so that those that want to compete for a high score but cant attain the insanly brilliant and unachivable scores that some of you have gotten may still want to play with the grattification of being on top something that you should know of already. If there will a new set every month then those that are so great at those games will continue to play wanting to reachive what they had done the month prior thus more competetion as the greats will have to regain their victories monthly and the not so greats will have a new chance monthly thus more traffic for the site. I do however think to make this a happy middle ground that there be a place setup for the ALL TIME high score of each game thats showed only that one score for each game thus also giving those that have achieved that thier proper place or such...
As I said,

"Iwantmyscoreonthefrontpage"

Cheese already had a solution for this but alas it is ignored. There is already a Weekly High Scores list. Change it to monthly and call it a day.

If you aim is to have joeblow member have the number high score so he'll feel better that's just weird.
It reminds me of the NBA. I think when it's under one minute, the NBA has a rule that if a team calls timeout they can advance the ball over half court (thus getting them closer to their basket for time purposes) just to make games closer near the end.

The competition is already there. This is like the fella that is cutting his own hair and it looks good yet he keeps fucking with it seeing something a little off until he snatches bald spot out. :lol: :lol:

JPaul
05-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Change it to monthly and call it a day.

That's just mad talk.

Rossco, thanks for the explanation that's what i thought.

I think

High Score of Week

High Score of Month

Best Ever

Would be a good way to go if that's possible. Not that I will ever be involved in such ranygazoo. I just thought you may wish to hear my Solomonesque opinion.

Busyman
05-07-2005, 05:36 PM
That's just mad talk.

Rossco, thanks for the explanation that's what i thought.

I think

High Score of Week

High Score of Month

Best Ever

Would be a good way to go if that's possible. Not that I will ever be involved in such ranygazoo. I just thought you may wish to hear my Solomonesque opinion.
Mad talk....okayyyyyyyyyy...add monthly....... great then. Deletion is just plain....MAD TALK.

Let's clarify...it ain't that hard.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showpost.php?p=1049204&postcount=208

RealitY
05-08-2005, 03:34 AM
I think the only difference of opinion at this point is that I had more suggested the though that the monthly high scores would be out front with the links to the ALL TIME high scores...

Busyman
05-08-2005, 05:36 AM
I think the only difference of opinion at this point is that I had more suggested the though that the monthly high scores would be out front with the links to the ALL TIME high scores...
If that's the case...make a monthly high score table and call it a day.

The difference of opinion involved deletion which was very unnecessary and over-reaching.

sparsely
05-08-2005, 07:01 AM
don't be lazy/foolish.
just a snip of php will give you new monthly stats without purging. :rolleyes:

MCHeshPants420
05-09-2005, 03:29 PM

I don't see why this compromise has to be reached though. The front page should be all-time scores then other links go to the weeks and months top score. The voting seems to reflect that people want things to remain as they are or just don't care.

I do reckon you should change the champions thing so the month's top score earns that little doohickey under you avatar though. The title should reflect this though.

Christ the thing has only been up a few weeks and you're all trying to bugger it up. If you really want to keep the arcade fresh, add new games and remove unpopular games. Have someone organise tournaments on the games (I'm surprised someone hasn't started this already...) and other active stuff to keep people playing.

Don't take the easy quick-fix option which makes no sense anyhow.

Busyman
05-09-2005, 03:41 PM
How long is the poll gonna be up anyway?

MCHeshPants420
05-09-2005, 03:49 PM

Until it goes in the favour of those who want to delete and purge things?

Busyman
05-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Until it goes in the favour of those who want to delete and purge things?
Nah, polls usually go a week. Keep in mind rossco could have just changed it without a poll. He made poll for a sticky border ffs which I would have never done is that case.

He does listen to some logic. :rolleyes:

Trajedi
05-09-2005, 03:54 PM
when i saw the topic i thought you folks were talking about arcade machines and gutting them out for mame =x shows you how awake i am..

Smith
05-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Why not have Daily, Monthly and All Time scores?

Would that be a good compromise?

tesco
05-10-2005, 02:17 AM
Nah, polls usually go a week. Keep in mind rossco could have just changed it without a poll. He made poll for a sticky border ffs which I would have never done is that case.

He does listen to some logic. :rolleyes:
I don't just do stuff.
I *keep people happy. :blink:

:)

* - Try to

tesco
05-10-2005, 02:19 AM
probably until a decision is made.
on the 17th i'll see if it's more in favour of yes or no, and go from there.

zedaxax
05-10-2005, 02:32 AM
How about a seperate Arcade for those with low scores?...

Busyman
05-10-2005, 03:21 AM
What was the point of the poll then?

Why does the poll not show who voted?

MCHeshPants420
05-10-2005, 08:01 AM

Really you should just listen to the sound arguments in favour of keeping the scores as is. Polls mean nothing.

The couple of dissenting voices can only provide the argument that it will give others a chance at a top score. Perhaps we should have a 'Special Olympics' arcade for them...

manker
05-10-2005, 09:24 AM
Since the mod team is obviously in favour of prunage - it does make sense if you only think about getting folk to use it, particularly new members - then the poll is important. Really speaking the don't cares should be added to the yes votes.

If a newbie has a badge below his name, saying that he is the barbie champion, or whatever, then he will be more inclined to post. He or she has more chance of this happening if the scores are pruned.

It's my impression that the arcade is there to attract new members and keep existing ones happy - there can only be a few high-scorers at the end of each month, their slight miffedness at getting knocked off the top is easily tempered by the ... excitement felt by the rest of us at having a chance to gain the ultimate accolade of being top at Airfox, if only for a short while.

It's all about the little people, the lucky few who are talented enough to post these awesome scores should be magnanimous enough to share in their glory.

MCHeshPants420
05-10-2005, 09:43 AM
Since the mod team is obviously in favour of prunage - it does make sense if you only think about getting folk to use it, particularly new members - then the poll is important. Really speaking the don't cares should be added to the yes votes.

If a newbie has a badge below his name, saying that he is the barbie champion, or whatever, then he will be more inclined to post. He or she has more chance of this happening if the scores are pruned.

It's my impression that the arcade is there to attract new members and keep existing ones happy - there can only be a few high-scorers at the end of each month, their slight miffedness at getting knocked off the top is easily tempered by the ... excitement felt by the rest of us at having a chance to gain the ultimate accolade of being top at Airfox, if only for a short while.

It's all about the little people, the lucky few who are talented enough to post these awesome scores should be magnanimous enough to share in their glory.

The arcade has been up a while now and has attracted just one new member, and that was my mate Allan who challenges me at Tetris. The arcade is a failure if it was put there solely to attract new members. No-one joins a Filesharing board to play games, they go to one of the proper Flash game sites.

Interest in the arcade has levelled off now as well, so if you start pruning scores then you're going to end up with empty score tables as well. Which is just silly. We don't delete old posts (unless you're Skizo) so why delete people's scores?

The badge thing should go to the monthly champion as opposed to the overall champion, I think that's a better idea. So what I'm advocating is start awarding things on a monthly basis for these theoretical newcomers and other "little people" but keep the high scores in some capacity for those of us who want to continually try and beat the BEST scores.

This shouldn't be settled by a poll anyhow. This should be settled by challenging Busyman and myself in the arcade. :shifty:

manker
05-10-2005, 09:47 AM
I think the interest has levelled off precisely because the high scores seem unobtainable to your common or garden filesharer. Pruning them is an excellent idea.

I would challenge you and Busy to a game to settle it but it appears they don't have Minesweeper, MSHearts or Freecell :(

MCHeshPants420
05-10-2005, 09:57 AM
I think the interest has levelled off precisely because the high scores seem unobtainable to your common or garden filesharer. Pruning them is an excellent idea.

I would challenge you and Busy to a game to settle it but it appears they don't have Minesweeper, MSHearts or Freecell :(

Interest has levelled off because most people don't care to play games. The arcade has lost its novelty value now, deleting the scores of people who actually still play it is just going to turn more people off.

I have no objection to deleting the scores of the games that seem to have a max score mind (delete the whole freakin' games for all I care).

manker
05-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Interest has levelled off because most people don't care to play games.This poll clearly contradicts that statement, since it's the only data I have, I'm going to assume it's correct and ignore the fact that you've prolly voted 5 times :D

I implore you to think of the little people, say YES to teh prunage.

MCHeshPants420
05-10-2005, 10:29 AM
This poll clearly contradicts that statement, since it's the only data I have, I'm going to assume it's correct and ignore the fact that you've prolly voted 5 times :D

I implore you to think of the little people, say YES to teh prunage.

2 of me voted for pruning anyhow... :blink:

I think the whole pruning argument loses any validity/worth when you realise that both groups (diehard arcaders and newcomers/lowscorers*) can be kept happy at the same time with a few little changes to the arcade set-up.

I think the whole poll is a sham because no-one really thought this through until the poll was posted and thus we have a poll that represents two sides to an argument but doesn't take into account that there is a very happy middle ground that keeps everyone happy (more or less).

*That's three, but meh...

manker
05-10-2005, 10:35 AM
2 of me voted for pruning anyhow... :blink:

I think the whole pruning argument loses any validity/worth when you realise that both groups (diehard arcaders and newcomers/lowscorers*) can be kept happy at the same time with a few little changes to the arcade set-up.

I think the whole poll is a sham because no-one really thought this through until the poll was posted and thus we have a poll that represents two sides to an argument but doesn't take into account that there is a very happy middle ground that keeps everyone happy (more or less).

*That's three, but meh...You think I can't see that. However, I won't rest until the high scores are totally pruned. It's all or nothing, bollocks to the bleeding heart liberals.

Think of the children and vote YES for teh prunage :01: :01:

MCHeshPants420
05-10-2005, 10:36 AM
And, if the arcade is set-up in the compromise type scenario, then what difference does it make if the overall High Scores are kept? You will actually have to click a link to see them if I'm guessing by what Reality said the month's scores will be the front page for the scores.

I just don't want to lose my Tetris score, k?

MCHeshPants420
05-10-2005, 10:38 AM
bollocks to the bleeding heart liberals.

Why do I always get to be the liberal? For once I want to be a right-wing mentalist.

Think of the children and vote YES for teh prunage

Old scores are like old people, we have to look after them because they are our history. Without them our children will have nothing to look up to and aspire to.

manker
05-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Why do I always get to be the liberal? For once I want to be a right-wing mentalist.

Think of the children and vote YES for teh prunage

Old scores are like old people, we have to look after them because they are our history. Without them our children will have nothing to look up to and aspire to.Shut it, Soylent Green boy :dry:

Busyman
05-10-2005, 02:11 PM
People play games for a challenge. There are tons of arcades like MSN Games, pogo, Yahoo, etc.

My interest has leveled off but I play now to see if I can get the high score.
If high scores were removed, I wouldn't care as much.

I know the high score in Flamingo Drive is 3487. If that was deleted so would that target score.

I would totally lose interest. I like the challenge of going higher, being faster, getting better.

Arcades should never do a reset. World records don't get lowered. Why should this? People that are lazy...fuck them. People that are not that good tend to get better. I know I did.

Some people are just uncompetitive pussies.

100%
05-10-2005, 02:18 PM
The Guiness Bookof World Records & the Olympics should also do prunage every month

Busyman
05-10-2005, 02:22 PM
The Guiness Bookof World Records & the Olympics should also do prunage every month
:lol: :lol:

RPerry
05-10-2005, 02:57 PM
:lol: :lol:

And all those found using Steriods should have their records cleared :lol:

I voted no by the way, and I know I can't beat Hobbes pacman record, he's just better at pacman than I am. Busyman, I will get Donkeykong back eventually :P I belive MCHeshPants420 is correct, and those scores are our history

manker
05-10-2005, 03:06 PM
I think I see a pattern.

Gamers who have a high score want them preserved. Gamers who don't have a high score want prunage. People who don't game can see the logic and sense in prunage.

Just as I thought :dry:

100%
05-10-2005, 03:15 PM
I think I see a pattern.

Gamers who have a high score want them preserved. Gamers who don't have a high score want prunage. People who don't game can see the logic and sense in prunage.

your income will be prunnaged as we speak
and no im not an Arcadian

Busyman
05-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Gamers who don't have a high score want prunage.

You're late. I knew that a long time ago.

"I can't beat your score. I want it removed."

The mere fact that the someone even thought of deleting high scores when there is more than one scoring table screams unfairness to those "more skilled". :ermm:

It defies logic.

MCHeshPants420
05-10-2005, 03:25 PM
I think I see a pattern.

I don't have a high score, and probably never will. The only chance I have of getting one would be prunage.

Prunage isn't a word so ergo I see no sense or logic in it at all. :ermm:

manker
05-10-2005, 03:27 PM
You're late. I knew that a long time ago.

"I can't beat your score. I want it removed."

The mere fact that the someone even thought of deleting high scores when there is more than one scoring table screams unfairness to those "more skilled". :ermm:

It defies logic.
Yeah, yeah.

Let the unbiased be the ones to decide, it's only fair.

manker
05-10-2005, 03:27 PM
I don't have a high score, and probably never will. The only chance I have of getting one would be prunage.

Prunage isn't a word so ergo I see no sense or logic in it at all. :ermm:Neither is pwnage yet that word makes more sense than some real ones :ermm:

manker
05-10-2005, 03:29 PM
your income will be prunnaged as we speak
and no im not an ArcadianSince you do not dwell in Arcadia, your views are most welcome. Tho' I'm not too happy about my income getting the prunage treatment.

I have an alcohol problem to fund.

100%
05-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Poetry Attempt #1
Title : Punnany
if you feel pwnaged by the prunage it means you pwnage at arcadage
hence punage becumes pawnage unless you are jonathan smith

Swisscheese
05-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Yeah, yeah.

Hi, I am new member and unbiased I shall decide for you.

manker
05-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Just noticed a member called 'Swisscheese' reading this thread :lol:

Busyman
05-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Yeah, yeah.

I ain't.

If I see a high score and want to beat it then I try to beat it. I don't have it removed. :blink:

Hell my high scores have been dropping like doo-doo. At one time I had six.

I ain't complainin' about it. :dry:

manker
05-10-2005, 06:37 PM
You just did :dry:

Busyman
05-10-2005, 06:43 PM
You just did :dry:
How so?

Instead of complainin' I would play the game and try to beat the score.

Stating that my high scores have dropped like dookie is fact not complainin'.

manker
05-10-2005, 06:51 PM
You have a high score => you're biased.

It's like asking Bonds whether his record should stand or not :dry:

Busyman
05-10-2005, 07:02 PM
You have a high score => you're biased.

It's like asking Bonds whether his record should stand or not :dry:
1. You said I was complainin' about not having my scores.

2. Ahhh why would I think my 2 whole high scores should remain?
What's the reason? Wouldn't I benefit more from deleting the others to regain the 6 High Score mantle?

It's quite simple. The logic to delete doesn't hold up.

There is more than one high score table.

Those who want it deleted want it for shit reasons.

The logic would apply for somoene wanting to delete monthly high scores entirely (if we had it) and just have weekly high scores only.

The question would still be, "Why not have both?"

Either way you're in my pocket. Your logic is based on anarchy and sucking up. I'm right and you are most certainly wrong. :snooty:

manker
05-10-2005, 07:10 PM
1. You said I was complainin' about not having my scores.

2. Ahhh why would I think my 2 whole high scores should remain?
What's the reason? Wouldn't I benefit more from deleting the others to regain the 6 High Score mantle?

It's quite simple. The logic to delete doesn't hold up.

There is more than one high score table.

Those who want it deleted want it for shit reasons.

The logic would apply for somoene wanting to delete monthly high scores entirely (if we had it) and just have weekly high scores only.

The question would still be, "Why not have both?"

Either way you're in my pocket. Your logic is based on anarchy and sucking up. I'm right and you are most certainly wrong. :snooty:
:lol: :D

Have you even read my answers in this thread, a thread about gaming which I don't do - hardly any of them make sense. Sucker.

http://d21c.com/AnnesPlace/Summer2/FishingRod.gif

sparsely
05-10-2005, 07:36 PM
even though you may be encouraging people to play by making games more "winnable", you're also discouraging people from playing, due to the fact that, regardless of how long you play or how high of a score you get, i'll be gone forever in a couple of weeks, so playing become futile for those who enjoy the competition.
so either way, somebody gets screwed.

Listen to The Beatles.
Let It Be.

Busyman
05-10-2005, 08:50 PM
:lol: :D

Have you even read my answers in this thread, a thread about gaming which I don't do - hardly any of them make sense. Sucker.

Yup I sure did....

Your logic is based on anarchy

I know your remarks are being made to come off troublesome. :)

I like indulging.

vidcc
05-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Why keep any scoreboard at all? It's not as if anyone gains anything from them....they are just games

Busyman
05-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Go away.

MCHeshPants420
05-11-2005, 02:14 AM
Why keep any scoreboard at all? It's not as if anyone gains anything from them....they are just games

For the competition.

You could have an arcade with no scoretable but then you'd be just playing with yourself. Stop playing with yourself. :angry:

Barbarossa
05-11-2005, 11:55 AM

Competition is what makes the world go round... :dry:

vidcc
05-11-2005, 02:06 PM
Competition at what?

A game.

What recognition do you get? what respect do you get? would a member of the opposite sex find you more attractive if you told them you had the forum high score at pacman???????

It's just not important.

MCHeshPants420
05-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Competition at what?

A game.

What recognition do you get? what respect do you get? would a member of the opposite sex find you more attractive if you told them you had the forum high score at pacman???????

It's just not important.

My girlfriend was impressed by my new Tetris score today. I doubt it's possible she could find me any more attractive than I already am but I think it still made her a bit wet.

Might have to bring the Gameboy Advance on our holiday this weekend.

But yeah, I'm going to have to agree with Busyman (again, worryingly):

Go away.

vidcc
05-11-2005, 02:47 PM
My girlfriend was impressed by my new Tetris score today. I doubt it's possible she could find me any more attractive than I already am but I think it still made her a bit wet.

Might have to bring the Gameboy Advance on our holiday this weekend.

:lol:..... it's probably more to do with the vibrating controller :rolleyes:

But yeah, I'm going to have to agree with Busyman (again, worryingly):

[QUOTE]Go away.

then what competition would you have? :rolleyes:

Barbarossa
05-11-2005, 03:35 PM

It's just not important.

:snooty:

manker
05-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Women are far more impressed if you can drink 12 pints of Stella or get completely mankered with the Babycham without being sick than they are if you're good with your thumbs :snooty:

vidcc
05-11-2005, 03:53 PM
:snooty:

I see you are the champion at playing with your "chopper" :rolleyes:

JPaul
05-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Women are far more impressed if you can drink 12 pints of Stella or get completely mankered with the Babycham without being sick than they are if you're good with your thumbs :snooty:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

MCHeshPants420
05-11-2005, 05:35 PM

Fruit machines allow me to combine both these approaches to ensnaring a member of the opposite sex. For bonus points I let the babes spin my reels.

Busyman
05-12-2005, 12:46 AM
Competition at what?

A game.

It's just not important.
It's obvious you have never played sports either. :ermm:

vidcc
05-12-2005, 01:20 AM
It's obvious you have never played sports either. :ermm:

I did in my school and uni days and I did a bit of power lifting in my early adulthood but nothing competitive since.

Nowadays I do go to the gym (if i get time :( ) and participate in "activity sports" rather than "competitive sports"
I understand people wishing to compete in sports but don't see the fun in watching

Busyman
05-12-2005, 05:00 AM
I did in my school and uni days and I did a bit of power lifting in my early adulthood but nothing competitive since.

Nowadays I do go to the gym (if i get time :( ) and participate in "activity sports" rather than "competitive sports"
I understand people wishing to compete in sports but don't see the fun in watching
....then you are in a huge minority.

People usually like to watch what they play.

I've always maintained that soccer, for instance, is the most popular sport in the world because, one, it's one of the oldest still around and, two, it's easy to pick up on.

I go against it in the fact that I like playing soccer and baseball but hate watching it but that's because it's usually uneventful.

Also many dislike certain sports simply because they don't know the rules.

Disliking watching competition entirely is weird indeed. Who didn't like seeing the two fellas rumbling outside in the schoolyard?

btw wtf is an activity sport? :huh:

vidcc
05-12-2005, 01:55 PM
btw wtf is an activity sport? :huh:

Things like scuba diving.

I will add I don't dislike watching all sport..... women's bikini beach volleyball is quite pleasing ;)

Busyman
05-12-2005, 05:23 PM
Things like scuba diving.

I will add I don't dislike watching all sport..... women's bikini beach volleyball is quite pleasing ;)
Agreed.

I never considered scuba diving a sport at all...more like leisure, similar to picking flowers.

vidcc
05-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Agreed.

I never considered scuba diving a sport at all...more like leisure, similar to picking flowers.
at what point would you consider something a sport then?

Busyman
05-12-2005, 06:17 PM
at what point would you consider something a sport then?
When there's competition....... even with one's self.

JPaul
05-12-2005, 06:20 PM
It's a sport when Sport England says it is.

Like Darts.

Busyman
05-12-2005, 06:23 PM
It's a sport when Sport England says it is.

Like Darts.
I must agree.

Sport England is the shizzle when it comes to sport categorization.

vidcc
05-12-2005, 06:37 PM
When there's competition....... even with one's self.

So lets say two people like sailing, one just likes to catch the wind and enjoy the ride, the other like to go as fast as he can

Is one sport and the other not?

Is snowboarding not a sport if you are not trying to beat your downhill time?

I have done some pretty spectacular dives and am not one of these people that are "fair weather" or "clear, warm water only" divers, I like to push the limits within safety margins.

Does that mean that it is a sport because I push myself ?

I made a distinction between competitive and activity making a differential..

Diving is called sports diving if it is not commercial diving. Diving is also listed as a dangerous sport for insurance purposes and one can find an increase in life insurance premiums if one regularly participates.

Busyman
05-12-2005, 06:50 PM
So lets say two people like sailing, one just likes to catch the wind and enjoy the ride, the other like to go as fast as he can

Is one sport and the other not?

Is snowboarding not a sport if you are not trying to beat your downhill time?

I have done some pretty spectacular dives and am not one of these people that are "fair weather" or "clear, warm water only" divers, I like to push the limits within safety margins.

Does that mean that it is a sport because I push myself ?

I made a distinction between competitive and activity making a differential..

Diving is called sports diving if it is not commercial diving. Diving is also listed as a dangerous sport for insurance purposes and one can find an increase in life insurance premiums if one regularly participates.
I know what the definition is.

I just don't call anything sport because it's recreation.

I don't really use the words recreation and sport interchangeably.

I wouldn't say I sail for sport when catching wind. :sick:

JPaul
05-12-2005, 07:08 PM
I partially agree with bizzie man on this one.

To be a sport there must be an element of competition.

However competition against one's own previous best does not count as far as I am concerned.

vidcc
05-12-2005, 07:18 PM
I just don't call anything sport because it's recreation.

I don't really use the words recreation and sport interchangeably.

I wouldn't say I sail for sport when catching wind. :sick:

They are sports. But as you once wrote (i think it was you) there is a difference between a sportsman and an athlete.

Busyman
05-12-2005, 07:57 PM
They are sports. But as you once wrote (i think it was you) there is a difference between a sportsman and an athlete.
Cooowol. :cool:

manker
05-14-2005, 02:12 PM
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?p=1053297#post1053297

My campaign paid off :01: :01:

Busyman
05-14-2005, 03:15 PM
I figured this poll meant shit.

manker
05-14-2005, 03:17 PM
I figured this poll meant shit.Stop being unhelpful :lol:

JPaul
05-14-2005, 03:26 PM
I figured this poll meant shit.
See the problem is, people don't actually know what that means.

Does it mean that it (the poll) would not matter, or that it was a good poll or some other meaning of the word shit (presumably nothing to do excrement).

Snee
05-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Meh, I don't really care..

But since it seems so important for busyman you might as well keep the scores, and the thing is there for the people who care enough about it to use it over and over, not the ones who don't care.

Don't think it'll attract new people, lots and lots of forums have arcades, so it really doesn't separate this one from the rest.

Busyman
05-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Meh, I don't really care..

But since it seems so important for busyman you might as well keep the scores, and the thing is there for the people who care enough about it to use it over and over, not the ones who don't care.

Don't think it'll attract new people, lots and lots of forums have arcades, so it really doesn't separate this one from the rest.
I guess it's not really important, it's just illogical (as was the poll).

I barely bother playing anymore.

manker
05-14-2005, 03:36 PM
I barely bother playing anymore.You would say that, after all of your high scores have been pwned.

Sore fecking loser, is what you are :dry:

Busyman
05-14-2005, 03:48 PM
You would say that, after all of your high scores have been pwned.

Sore fecking loser, is what you are :dry:
Hey dumbshit I haven't even bothered trying all the new games besides playing the old ones more. All my high scores have taken some time to fade you dick. At some point and time I had a high score and it was beaten and I got the high score again.

Sore losers whine about losing (or erase the scores altogether ). :lol: :lol: :lol: Hell, they can pwn the scores. It's all in competition.

You're an idiot.

manker
05-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Hey dumbshit I haven't even bothered trying all the new games or trying the old ones. All my high scores have taken some time to fade you dick. At some point and time I had a high score and it was beaten and I got the high score again.

Sore losers whine about losing (or erase the scores altogether ). :lol: :lol: :lol: Hell, they can pwn the scores. It's all in competition.

You're an idiot.

Busyman
05-14-2005, 03:55 PM
I love indulging. :shifty: Predictable ain't it.

I wish I gave a shit. :(

manker
05-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Feck's sake. I got teeth-marks half way up my arm after that :D

Busyman
05-14-2005, 03:59 PM
Feck's sake. I got teeth-marks half way up my arm after that :D
It comes naturally for me. Sorry. :(

We talk about people badly around here for fun. We call it joanin'. I meant what I said in the worst possible way for it to be construed. :)

manker
05-14-2005, 04:03 PM
It comes naturally for me. Sorry. :(

We talk about people badly around here for fun. We call it joanin'.I know, I just bring out the beast in you.

No apology necessary since it was one of the hilites of my interweb afternoon :lol:

Busyman
05-14-2005, 04:09 PM
What would the this forum do without me

....except attain esteemed status in the internet community

JPaul
05-14-2005, 04:25 PM
I love indulging. :shifty: Predictable ain't it.

I wish I gave a shit. :(
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You even did the "change manker to wanker" thing, kewl.

MCHeshPants420
05-16-2005, 11:19 PM
So why have a poll/discussion if a decision had already been made?

The poll is in agreement with keeping scores and it hasn't even finished yet.

And IKE's half-arsed attempt at keeping the scores is just, well...crap. As I'll lose my Tetris personal best because it wasn't the top score. As will anyone else.

There was a happy-middle ground that would have kept everyone satisfied. I guess that was too hard to figure out though. If you're going to ask people's opinions then at least read/listen to them, otherwise just be honest and say, "This is what we're doing, fuck off if you want different."

tesco
05-16-2005, 11:42 PM
Read the post in Everything Related to the Board.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showpost.php?p=1054851&postcount=266

CLOSED