PDA

View Full Version : Just found a snake in my bedroom!!!

Skiz
05-10-2005, 08:28 AM
Holy shit, I'm walking into my room to go to sleep and when I click on the light, there's a copperhead snake on the floor about five feet in front of me and about a foot long. Scared the ba-jeezus outta me! :fear:

He's laying in kinda a recoiled position, so I go into the kitchen real quick and grab the longest knife I have, go back into the bedroom and try to get aroung the side of him a little so that I could get a good shot at him and jump onto the bed if something went wrong. First swing I got him about three inches behind the head. He flopped around real quick an got under the little eve of my dresser. I waited to see if he was gonna die er what, but I guess it wasn't the most lethal blow though I could see blood on him. After about a minute long staring contest I weaseled him out from there with the knife ( he wasn't moving much ) and finished the job.

I'm waaay to awake to sleep now.

I wish I had a digital camera so I could show off my kill. :01:

{I}{K}{E}
05-10-2005, 09:48 AM
why not but him in a box and let him free in the woods?

ahctlucabbuS
05-10-2005, 09:52 AM
I was going to ask that

:sick:

Joakim Agren
05-10-2005, 09:54 AM
Hello!

Also for your info a copper head snake is not really a snake it is a lizard that will loose its tail when touched. They are totally harmless!!

{I}{K}{E}
05-10-2005, 09:55 AM
OMG you killed a lizard !!!!

:cry:

manker
05-10-2005, 10:12 AM
I duno, I heard that copperheads are really dangerous. Not that venemous but pretty aggressive.

Shame you killed it tho'.

GepperRankins
05-10-2005, 10:31 AM
dick. you shoulda caught it steve irwin style then thrown it down the street

fkdup74
05-10-2005, 10:59 AM
I don't remember about the Copperhead's attitude....
but I do think they have one of the least dangerous venoms

theres also a look-a-like to the Copperhead too if I'm not mistaken....
or maybe it was the Coral snake that has a look-a-like,
can't say, but I was reading about how a totally innocent breed of snake
was getting hunted because of it's venomous look-a-like :rolleyes:

manker
05-10-2005, 11:03 AM
I know the coral snake has a lookalike, but can't remember if the coral snake was the venemous one or not :crazy:

Btw, adders > All U.S. snakes :snooty:

sArA
05-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Skizo....you are an evil murderer of an innocent creature that was doing nothing but having a little nap.....you bad :(

fkdup74
05-10-2005, 11:10 AM
I know the coral snake has a lookalike, but can't remember if the coral snake was the venemous one or not :crazy:

yeah teh coral is teh bad one :ph34r:
but you can distinguish between a color pattern,
or possibly even a variation on the nose I think,
to determine wether or not you need to watch yer anus :P

hey I found the article I was reading a while back....
seems the Cottonmouth & Copperhead can get mixed up....
so he coulda had an even more venomous snake :lol:

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetology/fl-guide/venomsnk.htm

Comments: This beautiful snake is often confused with juvenile cottonmouths. If you found one in Florida outside the Apalachicola River valley or the extreme western end of the panhandle, chances are you have a young Cottonmouth and not a Copperhead. ‘Copperheads’ are often reported from south Florida, and the people who found them become quite belligerent when their mistake is pointed out. The two species are easy to distinguish because the dark bars on juvenile Cottonmouths have numerous dark spots and speckles in them, while the dark bars on the Copperhead have no dark spots or at most only one. Also the eye of the Copperhead is not obscured by the dark facial band typical of the Cottonmouth.

Hatchling copperheads hold the tail erect and wiggle the yellow tip like a caterpillar to attract prey within striking range.

Copperhead bites are extremely painful but usually are not life-threatening for healthy adults. They can be dangerous to children or older citizens in poor health. As with all venomous snakebites, the victim should seek immediate medical care from a physician or hospital experienced in treating snakebite.

Busyman
05-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Fuck what everyone else said, you should have killed it.

1. Why take the chance?

2. How often do you get snakes in house?

You can apologize to PETA later. :dry:

Skizo, I hope you aren't fibbing about this and this wasn't just you hitting puberty or something. :unsure:

GepperRankins
05-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Fuck what everyone else said, you should have killed it.

1. Why take the chance?

2. How often do you get snakes in house?

You can apologize to PETA later. :dry:

Skizo, I hope you aren't fibbing about this and this wasn't just you hitting puberty or something. :unsure:
no he hasn't done that yet.

manker
05-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Yup, should have killed it and went on a 3 week rampagecull of all fauna in a seventeen mile radius.

You know ... justincase ;)

RPerry
05-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Btw, adders > All U.S. snakes :snooty:

Yes Manker, The Coral snake is the venomous one, and its look-alike is the King snake. The Coral snake is very small though, and I can't remember the last time I heard of anyone who wasn't trying to pick one up being bitten by one. If I were going to fear any of Florida's snakes, it would be a Diamondback Rattler anyway :ph34r:

manker
05-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Yes Manker, The Coral snake is the venomous one, and its look-alike is the King snake. The Coral snake is very small though, and I can't remember the last time I heard of anyone who wasn't trying to pick one up being bitten by one. If I were going to fear any of Florida's snakes, it would be a Diamondback Rattler anyway :ph34r:That's right, Brian already intimated that it was the coral snake which was venomous but you've reminded me of the documentary I seen ages ago. I do remember now about it being docile.

Seems weird how a species as unevolved as snakes can have such a variety of temperaments.

RPerry
05-10-2005, 02:37 PM
That's right, Brian already intimated that it was the coral snake which was venomous but you've reminded me of the documentary I seen ages ago. I do remember now about it being docile.

Seems weird how a species as unevolved as snakes can have such a variety of temperaments.

Sorry, somehow I scrolled past Brians post ( sorry to you too FKDUP74)
however, as I said the Coral snake is very small, and if you can see its nose, you are way too damn close :lol: Easiest way to tell is that on a King snake, the yellow and red bands are separated by black. On the Coral snake, the red and yellow touch.

Skiz
05-10-2005, 06:36 PM
I said the snake I killed last night was about a foot long. Here's a pic of a similar snake. (http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/images/scopperjuv4.jpg)

Some of you need to look up copperhead snakes before saying things like I needed to pick him up and put him outside. This is a very venemous snake and is known for biting people. Where I come from in a small Texas town, I spend/spent alot of time in the woods and I've come across these snakes on several occasions.

The copperhead is actually quite destinquisable from the cottonmouth. The copperhead has very light coloring on most ocassions and the cottonmouth has darker colors and tends to be fat looking with a flatter bottom. Both of these snakes are previlent in Texas.

Also, killing it was the right thing to do no doubt. What you do if you found say a rattlesnake in your house? The thing could kill you ffs. A copperhead isn't as venomous as a rattlesnake, but it can kill you.

Gripper
05-10-2005, 06:39 PM
I'm surprised you didn't shoot it ,I thought it was law for everyone in Texas to carry a gun at all times :)

Busyman
05-10-2005, 06:40 PM
I said the snake I killed last night was about a foot long. Here's a pic of a similar snake. (http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/images/scopperjuv4.jpg)

Some of you need to look up copperhead snakes before saying things like I needed to pick him up and put him outside. This is a very venemous snake and is known for biting people. Where I come from in a small Texas town, I spend/spent alot of time in the woods and I've come across these snakes on several occasions.

The copperhead is actually quite destinquisable from the cottonmouth. The copperhead has very light coloring on most ocassions and the cottonmouth has darker colors and tends to be fat looking with a flatter bottom. Both of these snakes are previlent in Texas.

Also, killing it was the right thing to do no doubt. What you do if you found say a rattlesnake in your house? The thing could kill you ffs. A copperhead isn't as venomous as a rattlesnake, but it can kill you.
You have to remember there are many tree hugging PETA members here.

That snake's life is just as important as yours...even more so if it's cute and cuddly. :dry:

Skiz
05-10-2005, 06:41 PM
I'm surprised you didn't shoot it ,I thought it was law for everyone in Texas to carry a gun at all times :)

Any other time I would have as I have a gun in my truck, (with permit of course) but I was inside. :(

manker
05-10-2005, 06:41 PM
I'm surprised you didn't shoot it ,I thought it was law for everyone in Texas to carry a gun at all times :):lol: :D

I think that's only if you're a Republican. Skizo is left wing.

Skiz
05-10-2005, 06:43 PM
You have to remember there are many tree hugging PETA members here.

That snake's life is just as important as yours...even more so if it's cute and cuddly. :dry:

Then maybe next time I'll save it and let a PETA member "cuddle" with it. ;)

PETA...pfffst :dry:

Skiz
05-10-2005, 06:44 PM
:lol: :D

:ohmy:

How dare you call me that left wing. :angry: :snooty:

manker
05-10-2005, 06:46 PM
:ohmy:

How dare you call me that left wing. :angry: :snooty:
You're not :huh:

Gripper
05-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Any other time I would have as I have a gun in my truck, (with permit of course) but I was inside. :(

Theres your solution,park your truck in the bedroom :D

My wife and kids freak if they see a spider,f*ck knows what they'd do if they found a snake :ghostface

Skiz
05-10-2005, 06:50 PM
Theres your solution,park your truck in the bedroom :D

My wife and kids freak if they see a spider,f*ck knows what they'd do if they found a snake :ghostface

No kidding. Do all of people who thought it was wrong to kill the snake, take roaches, spiders, etc. outdoors and let them go?? :huh: Doubt it.

@manker - NO. Right is right! :P Lefty is weird http://img201.echo.cx/img201/3724/ghey10iq.gif (http://www.imageshack.us)

What would have given you that idea?

manker
05-10-2005, 06:54 PM
@manker - NO. Right is right! :P

What would have given you that idea?I must be getting you mixed up with j2k4 :crazy:

Gripper
05-10-2005, 06:57 PM
I think i'd of killed it,sorry but wildlife belongs outside,we don't have much problem with poisonous critters in tne uk so it's usually safe to pick em up and chuck it out the door

Skiz
05-10-2005, 06:59 PM
I must be getting you mixed up with j2k4 :crazy:

Prolly cause we're both so damn stubborn addimate about the issues. :D

manker
05-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Prolly cause we're both so damn stubborn addimate about the issues. :D :lol:

Or maybe I was having a lend, the Che Guevara comment made me chuckle this morning. You're probably the most right wing of anyone on the forum - except maybe j2 :D

Skiz
05-10-2005, 07:04 PM
:lol:

Or maybe I was having a lend, the Che Guevara comment made me chuckle this morning. You're probably the most right wing of anyone on the forum - except maybe j2 :D

:01: BUSH RULES!

manker
05-10-2005, 07:14 PM
:01: BUSH RULES!
Indeed, it's important to have at least some. Shaven havens ain't for me :snooty:

Skiz
05-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Indeed, it's important to have at least some. Shaven havens ain't for me :snooty:

fkdup74
05-10-2005, 07:55 PM
:lol: :D

Democrat = liberal = left
Republican = conservative = right (in every sense of the word) :P

and Skizo the likeness is between:
juvenile/adolescent/whatever (young) cottonmouths & adult copperheads
I know adult cottonmouths are dark colored, I used to live Oklahoma,
they're fairly common out there

btw, I usually wont kill snakes & spiders, due to their preying on pests
but not sure about one showing up in teh bedroom....
I'm not some crazed Aussie crock hunter, may have had to kill it myself,
as I don't happen to have teh Acme Super Snake Catcher Kit handy :P

enoughfakefiles
05-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Yeah i find a snake in my bedroom every night.

Pity i`m the only one who plays with it. :lol:

Skiz
05-10-2005, 07:58 PM
I find it a little surprising that so many have come to the defense of this unwanted intruder. It never even crossed my mind to NOT kill it. :blink:

fkdup74
05-10-2005, 08:01 PM

hey, yeah Skizo, next time, call my ex
she's quite adept at "snake handling" :naughty:

Skiz
05-10-2005, 08:04 PM

I knew this was coming. :shifty:

Surprised it took this long. :lol:

Skiz
05-10-2005, 08:05 PM

hey, yeah Skizo, next time, call my ex
she's quite adept at "snake handling" :naughty:

info plz :naughty:

Busyman
05-10-2005, 09:02 PM
I find it a little surprising that so many have come to the defense of this unwanted intruder. It never even crossed my mind to NOT kill it. :blink:
PETA, Europeans, passive, French, tree hugger, risk takers

Gemby!
05-10-2005, 09:11 PM
haha ....*lives in london so fears no animals* :01:

S!X
05-10-2005, 10:22 PM
What a find! (BTW skizo nice avatar! :whistling

Skiz
05-11-2005, 03:06 AM
Thx :naughty:

I'm still searching for a replacement sig for my "temporary" one. :dry:

S!X
05-11-2005, 06:04 AM
Thx :naughty:

I'm still searching for a replacement sig for my "temporary" one. :dry:

:lookaroun So what did you do about that snake? Im not feeling too good right now, so I dont feel like reading the previous posts :pinch:

Skiz
05-11-2005, 07:17 AM
Killed it. Pitched it over my apt porch into the bushes where it will hang and rot to warn other snakes about the evil that awaits them if they intrude. :shifty:

manker
05-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Democrat = liberal = left
Republican = conservative = right (in every sense of the word) :P Thanks for clearing that up, Brian :blink:

We have politics in the UK too.

Guillaume
05-11-2005, 09:37 AM
:dry: Didn't say a thing...

I hate them anyway. And killed a few of my own, so...

lynx
05-11-2005, 10:33 AM
:dry: Didn't say a thing...

I hate them anyway. And killed a few of my own, so...I know just how you feel.

Snakes on the other hand... :shifty:

Guillaume
05-11-2005, 10:55 AM
:frusty:

May I remind you lynxes are an endangered species? :dry:

manker
05-11-2005, 10:56 AM
:frusty:

May I remind you lynxes are an endanegred species? :dry:So are Tories, especially in the North :D

fkdup74
05-11-2005, 02:11 PM
We have politics in the UK too.
you mean yer not all brainwashed anti-republican monkies? :ohmy:
I was takin teh piss, jeez....
:D

I was just reading about the size of a Copperhead...
only about a foot long...so it's no more than glamorized earthworm really....
you should be ashamed Skiz :(

:P

manker
05-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Oh, right. You didn't post it with the usual plethora of smilies so I presumed the other :D

Skiz
05-11-2005, 06:48 PM
I was just reading about the size of a Copperhead...
only about a foot long...so it's no more than glamorized earthworm really....
you should be ashamed Skiz :(

:P

It's equivalent bit my friend when I was about 14 just above the ankle. Even though it only got him with one fang, his whole leg was swollen up to bigger than even his thigh and he had to keep it elevated for several weeks. I remember the bite ended up being black and was literally rotting off the skin around it b/c the venom had killed the tissue. Took like the whole summer vacation to heal. Something like three months.

One of my dad's employees about two years ago was bitten by one even smaller while outside smoking a cig. She was bitten on the hand just above the pinky finger. (she was putting the cig out in the grass) She did assembly work him and I think she was out for about seven months, b/c she couldn't use her hands.

Moral of the story: Foot-long or not, copperheads are no joke.

S!X
05-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Killed it. Pitched it over my apt porch into the bushes where it will hang and rot to warn other snakes about the evil that awaits them if they intrude. :shifty:

:ermm: :ph34r:

suprafreak6
05-11-2005, 08:46 PM
i would have got it and put it in a tub with like something for it to eat maybe i would let it go (my mom would make me or my dad would) lol